• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Kick-Ass Women of Attack on Titan

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:03 pm Reply with quote
SailorTralfamadore wrote:
whiskeyii wrote:
MrTerrorist wrote:
No mention about Hange?

There's quite a bit of evidence from the mangaka that Hange doesn't identify as female, as he specifically requested that the English translation avoid using female pronouns (something the Japanese version avoids as well), which they've since abided by. So, for now, Word of God says Hange isn't female.

Yep, this is the reason I left Hange out of the article (despite being a big Hange fan personally). I don't count Hange as a female character because of the author's statement that they don't have an official gender, and I think even putting that clarification in an article about "the women of Attack on Titan" would open a huge can of worms.

This is a commonplace distinction in discussing trans issues, but I've never seen it touched on when addressing the role of women in fiction (or media generally). Is the "important" criterion for deciding whether a character counts as a 'strong female' biology or gender? I guess there's no easy answer there, but I think Hange brings enough nuance that entirely leaving him out of a discussion of badass women is unfortunately sacrificing something.
Starbuckets

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 12:39 pm Reply with quote
hattori300 wrote:
If cardboard cut-outs of real human beings are your thing, then yeah, AoT has enough of that in spades for you to enjoy.
Otherwise, im not sure how anybody can see the laughable characters of this show as complex, relatable, or well written in any way, shape or form.
Care to elaborate on that?
hattori300

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Starbuckets wrote:
hattori300 wrote:
If cardboard cut-outs of real human beings are your thing, then yeah, AoT has enough of that in spades for you to enjoy.
Otherwise, im not sure how anybody can see the laughable characters of this show as complex, relatable, or well written in any way, shape or form.
Care to elaborate on that?

The characters in this show are walking cliches and tropes. Im not sure how people can find these female characters in any way interesting when they just seem to spout every single predictable anime line without any depth or character development.
Mikasa has been the same character from day 1, she is "badass" simply because its cool.
Annie is just another Mikasa clone, hardass exterior just to invoke mystery that simply isnt there outside of her plot relevance.
Sasha is just comic relief, and completely breaks the tone of every scene she is in.
Then you have the hilarious forced relationship of Ymir and Historia. Why should I care about the identity issues of these two characters, when at no point in the story it is established why that stuff is important to them other than "drama"? Why is it relevant that Historia not hide her true name? Why is her true name important to her at all, and why does Ymir care so much about her name as if its tied to her true self? The only reason she changed names was cause people wanted to kill her, and nothing else.
There is no emotional connection to any of these characters.

These female characters arent strong or complex. They are just guidelines on how to write the most basic character structure in a shounen story.
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
*sighs*

Okay, where to begin I wonder... Probably I'll start with the less important stuff then proceed to the more severe issues.

1) Christa/Historia is a really well developed and badass character who deserves a lot more than sharing a paragraph with Ymir. It's like she shares all of her being and personality with her, which is simply not the case, because Historia can be a perfectly complex person on her own. But since we haven't seen much in the anime just yet, I'll cut some slack to this.

2) Sorry to disappoint you guys, but wait a bit until the end of this ark to decide if Mikasa is being made into a damsel in distress or not. I liked the piece about her though because it explained her character well.

3) You are born either as a male or as a female. Hange's gender wasn't clear in the manga, but that wasn't something that would work in an anime. So they asked Isayama what to do, he replied that either was fine because it didn't matter. So the anime stuff decided on a woman (And with a prominent bust I might say, judging from episode 8 of this season). Where exactly is there any doubt or controversy in this? Unless Isayama shows us a shirtless Hange in the manga that will prove that she's a man - which is highly unlikely after the anime's choice - Hange is a woman and she should have been in this list, with just five relative with the issue lines as an introduction.

4) This list is pointless. AoT is one of the few manga/anime showing such blatant gender equality in their world (just please forget about Mikasa and her issues for a while, even she makes sense sometimes). Every character is complex and well written in this series, why should the female ones need to be specially referred to instead of the male ones? A list of such kind would only work in a series like The Legend of Galactic Heroes, a brilliant series set in a world full of misogyny, where badass female characters make a point out of being badass in a society that deems them uncapable of doing much. AoT on the other hand, is set in a world that simply cannot afford to be like that, or it simply just isn't so. Men and women are equal from the get-go. Everyone is given the same chances to make their own path. Thus, this list feels more like a presentation of the female character's of AoT for the people who already know them. Not much point in it.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 1:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure I'd go as far as calling them superficial cardboard cutouts, but I do wonder where the idea that Mikasa or Annie are well-developed characters comes from (at least in the anime). So far they seem a little more than one-dimensional, but not by much..
Chocoreto

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:06 pm Reply with quote
hattori300 wrote:

1)Mikasa has been the same character from day 1, she is "badass" simply because its cool.

2)Annie is just another Mikasa clone, hardass exterior just to invoke mystery that simply isnt there outside of her plot relevance.

3)Sasha is just comic relief, and completely breaks the tone of every scene she is in.

4)Then you have the hilarious forced relationship of Ymir and Historia. Why should I care about the identity issues of these two characters, when at no point in the story it is established why that stuff is important to them other than "drama"? Why is it relevant that Historia not hide her true name? Why is her true name important to her at all, and why does Ymir care so much about her name as if its tied to her true self? The only reason she changed names was cause people wanted to kill her, and nothing else.

These female characters arent strong or complex. They are just guidelines on how to write the most basic character structure in a shounen story.

1)Um... nope? Ackerman? They kind of matter? Oh, right. Not a manga reader.

2)Um... nope? It makes tones of sense and gives many hints for - Okay no it will be a spoiler.

3) If you don't like that it's a matter of defferent taste and sense of humor from your part, not of bad writing from the author's part. Connie is also cut from the same cloth.

4) Okay, DEFINITELY NOT a manga reader. Just go read it for God's sake, because if you're expecting to get the answers to this in the anime, you'll need to trust it to your grand children.
hattori300

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:16 pm Reply with quote
Chocoreto wrote:
hattori300 wrote:

1)Mikasa has been the same character from day 1, she is "badass" simply because its cool.

2)Annie is just another Mikasa clone, hardass exterior just to invoke mystery that simply isnt there outside of her plot relevance.

3)Sasha is just comic relief, and completely breaks the tone of every scene she is in.

4)Then you have the hilarious forced relationship of Ymir and Historia. Why should I care about the identity issues of these two characters, when at no point in the story it is established why that stuff is important to them other than "drama"? Why is it relevant that Historia not hide her true name? Why is her true name important to her at all, and why does Ymir care so much about her name as if its tied to her true self? The only reason she changed names was cause people wanted to kill her, and nothing else.

1)Um... nope? Ackerman? They kind of matter? Oh, right. Not a manga reader.

2)Um... nope? It makes tones of sense and gives many hints for - Okay no it will be a spoiler.

3) If you don't like that it's a matter of defferent taste and sense of humor from your part, not of bad writing from the author's part. Connie is also cut from the same cloth.

4) Okay, DEFINITELY NOT a manga reader. Just go read it for God's sake, because if you're expecting to get the answers to this in the anime, you'll need to trust it to your grand children.

I dont understand how me not reading the manga somehow justifies these characters being bland and uninteresting. No matter how many plot twists and revelations about the story of these characters might eventually come, it wont matter because the anime so far has done a very bad job about making me care for them.
As for Sasha, I have no problem with comic relief characters, my problem is making that comic relief clash with serious subject matters, which is a very different thing and something that constantly happens when she appears. The scene where her father explains to her that food is scarce and yet she continues to gobble it is an example of this.
The reason why people find the episodes without action setpieces so boring and dull is due to the fact that they do not care for the characters, whether they realize it or not.
If the writing and character development was good, people wouldnt have problems with the more slow episodes and they wouldnt bother spending time to know these characters.
NeverConvex
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:22 pm Reply with quote
I think s/he's saying in the manga they become less one-dimensional, either in the future or in material that was excluded from the anime.

Which is a perfectly fine thing to assert, but it doesn't change how they have (or, more to the point, haven't) been characterized in the anime to date.
hattori300

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
I think s/he's saying in the manga they become less one-dimensional, either in the future or in material that was excluded from the anime.

Which is a perfectly fine thing to assert, but it doesn't change how they have (or, more to the point, haven't) been characterized in the anime to date.

Yeah, that was the point I was trying to make. It doesnt matter if at some point these characters get major development or have their stories expanded to something interesting.
If im not interested in them or find them likeable up until that point, then it wont mean a thing.
Thats why the flashback to Mikasa and Eren's youth in the last few episodes meant nothing.
A. I dont care for these main characters, so this cozy feeling flashback means nothing for me.
B. The flashback brings nothing new to these characters, its just reinforcing whats already established from episode 1: Mikasa wants to protect Eren, Eren is stubborn and not a quitter.
Lostlorn Forest

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 1:18 am Reply with quote
Hawkbit wrote:
Actually, Isayama has NOT confirmed Krista and Ymir are a couple; only the director of the anime did that, so how canon it is is debatable. I am just playing devil's advocate mind you, because I really do hope they are a couple.

Please define a couple. They've both expressed mutual feelings for each other. If you mean couple as in they have somehow, amidst the chaos, officialized their couplehood to everyone, then no, they haven't. If you mean canon romantic feelings, then yeah.
jr240483

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:58 pm Reply with quote
GlassesMan wrote:
Quote:
This is why Western female MCs are either incredibly boring and/or paper-thin characters.

Well, I guess not everyone has seen the greatness of Avatar:The Last Airbender, makes sense.

unfortunately everything that made that series good got completely nuked with its sequel. should have ended with that series and left well enough alone. also avatar had its problems with its female characters which is why i really cant blame GlassesMan for his comments cause he kind of have a good point when it comes to the difference between western female MCs and japaneese female MCs.

Chocoreto wrote:
*sighs*

3) You are born either as a male or as a female. Hange's gender wasn't clear in the manga, but that wasn't something that would work in an anime. So they asked Isayama what to do, he replied that either was fine because it didn't matter. So the anime stuff decided on a woman (And with a prominent bust I might say, judging from episode 8 of this season). Where exactly is there any doubt or controversy in this? Unless Isayama shows us a shirtless Hange in the manga that will prove that she's a man - which is highly unlikely after the anime's choice - Hange is a woman and she should have been in this list, with just five relative with the issue lines as an introduction.

well for some of the manga (specifically during eren's court martial and training with the levy squad) as well as those artbooks , they've pretty much classified hange as a female. also i haven't heard of any news that isayama saying in any interview that "either way fine because it didn't matter" cause that is one thing everyone would want to know.

Last edited by jr240483 on Tue May 30, 2017 1:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3