• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Adds More Catalog Titles, Adds Dragon Ball Super for Europe

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 9:55 am Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
I really wish Crunchyroll would add Dennou Coil to its catalog now that it has been released on disc in North America. I doubt it's because the NHK is asking an arm and a leg for rights. Even better would be adding some difficult-to-find classics like Monster, Juuni Kokuki, or Nodame Cantabile.

Dennoh Coil is a Maiden Japan title and they pretty much only stream via the Anime Network. CR would probably only be able to pick up rights outside Wnglish language territories for it. Nodame Cantabile is currently streaming on Anime Strike, so I don't know if CR would be a possibility as well.
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Dennoh Coil is a Maiden Japan title and they pretty much only stream via the Anime Network.

Who subscribes to theanimenetwork.com? I'm surprised it continues to exist at all. It was bad enough paying both CR and Funimation for a year or two; there was no way I was going to add TAN to the list. TAN is mentioned so rarely on the forums I frequent that it's easy to forget it even exists.

Maybe the on-demand cable and satellite TV version of TAN is making them some money? I don't know anyone who subscribes to that either.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:17 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:
Dennoh Coil is a Maiden Japan title and they pretty much only stream via the Anime Network.

Who subscribes to theanimenetwork.com? I'm surprised it continues to exist at all. It was bad enough paying both CR and Funimation for a year or two; there was no way I was going to add TAN to the list. TAN is mentioned so rarely on the forums I frequent that it's easy to forget it even exists.

Maybe the on-demand cable and satellite TV version of TAN is making them some money? I don't know anyone who subscribes to that either.

Personal experience doesn't mean much. I don't know anyone personally that pays for CR, but apparently a million people do. I always hear yelling on this forum and others that nobody pays for Hulu, but millions do, including myself and many of my friends.

I wasn't discussing the strengths or merits of any individual service, just pointing out that it's unlikely for a Maiden Japan title to pop up on CR. If they had remained publisher agnostic, like Hulu, Netflix, and others do, I could see it as a possibility. As long as their alliance with Funimation is in effect, and as long as they bid for licenses against Sentai, it's unlikely that any of the Section 23 companies are going to stream there.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2