• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2017 3:52 am Reply with quote
Episode 7

It was a bit of a foregone conclusion, the scene between Nina and Azazel last episode kind of hinted at it, and this episode pretty much started off with the situation, but Azazel's trump card of using Nina in the ambush was not to be. A good chunk was the demons setting up their plan, it is sort of ironic that the gloom was on that it was not going to work, that they would all die. Finishing the episode off with them getting killed, the final kicker being with Belphegor, was I think pretty well done despite the episode starting with seeing carnage, I think seeing what was under the fist. Azazel got his people killed, and it could be attributed to arrogance again. Some brutal work in there, like with blood and the like.

Nina's part of the story is kind of interesting, her not transforming at Azazel's wish is kind of a strength in her character. Extra that she threw him off when he tried to kiss her, that she wanted none of that. It is a strange contrast her part when everything else is happening. Also, her naming the food Rita was making as being "zombie", something Rita is not comfortable to have shout into the busy street. Mugaro is still cute, but more I like more in how it is with Bacchus, who is a character I have not really been that behind as it always feels like he just happens to be on the good side, he had to be threatened in season 1. But Bacchus here keeping the secret of Mugaro, he is a pretty cool guy.

Little funny bits at apparently some sort of steps to adulthood Rita had in the past, which is odd because either that would be 10 years as a zombie, or that she pretty much stopped aging at the young age after her family died, which is kind of sketchy of when she is referring to. Not sure where I wanted to fit this bit in, but the one character I have kept thinking about whether they would be in this season is Cerberus, she was one of Azazel's main lackeys in Genesis, and I keep noting that her puppets appear to be chasing Azazel in the ED. Which I guess in general also has me wondering what the fur ball is in the ED, I am hoping answers come soon to things, like Nina's sensei showing up.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2017 11:25 pm Reply with quote
Nina is finally forced into a corner, with the demon rebellion crush and Mugaro in the middle of being captured by heaven's forces she decides to actually intentionally turn into a dragon, of course it is all to no avail as it is still tied up with her getting significantly aroused.

Virgin Soul can have multiple character allusions aside from Nina, it can also aptly refer to Mugaro who is a young child whose mystical power has so far matched Nina's brute strength in her dragon form.
Mugaro has more closely been this series version of Amira, a demi-god whose hidden power is sought over by multiple factions.

Nina's personality has of course been more parallel to Favaro and makes sense to hide her goofy mentor up until this point as the stinger reveals he had been locked up likely for some time, likely still kept alive similar yet different reasoning to Jean D'arc as he was one of the heroes to subdue Bahamut.

Charioce has been consistently smug about his odds against the demon's and angels (no reason why he shouldn't be as his armed forces have been able to campaign against both sides major capitals that can be marched upon) however the show likely will have one more reveal which may give Charioce a small chance to redeem even his cruel nature, either that or he doubles down on his jerk stance and his deserved death will be something to spectate.

Bacchus is truly disgusted by the nature of Sofiel willingly using a child to bring humanity to kneel before heaven "because it is the only way", it more than demonstrates why Bacchus did not care to return to heaven as the leadership was too obsessed with being observed and worshiped by humanity than trying to work with them as equals.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat May 27, 2017 6:41 am Reply with quote
And what more ominous coming from the gods than them saying that Mugaro could meet his/her mother by going with them, it is really reminiscent of the situation with Amira. Indeed we see that they are just using him/her, which puts them kind of in the shoes of the bad demons from the first season, just as bad for what created the current situation.

Charioce I do now has kind of cemented himself as a grade A dick, Nina too good for him. And was thinking it was kind of funny that they seemed to want to break Azazel with torture, I am sure we remember him with Kaiser. Who Kaiser was kind of a badass with how that 3 way fight was going, which looked pretty fantastic. For being familiar I might say there was a similar fight in a Pirates of Carrabin movie, which is not a new comparison considering how the first season started off with the Favaro and Kaiser fight.

So far we have Rita on the outside, and it could be foreseeable that if she did let restraints go she could lead rescues at least for the moral prisoners, despite this being a bad situation. And to add to that they have placed Nina across from Jeanne, and even stronger was Kaiser across from.... Favaro! I could feel it building up to it after the credits, and of course he had a big stupid grin. Pretty much cheered at that.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:19 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

And what do you know, Cerebus showed up, but as a surprise she does so as the proprietor of a club that services men with alcohol, and was with Kaiser's men. Actually would wonder the strange situation of if they managed to convince Kaiser to go there only to meet her.

But I really liked this episode. This was an episode set with our heroes in a prison, them forced into labour, but it was practically celebratory. Kaiser meets up with Favaro who tells us how he met and trained Nina, and Nina meets Jeanne who luckily manages to bring up her son. Yes, we indeed now know that Mugaro is male, Nina misunderstood because he is pretty, which has made Jeanne not able to be 100% sure, but she also heard Azazel saved him. But bahamut willing, they are all going to get out of there, that Rita's descent towards them was hardly necessary, but all the more building of a smirk that things are about to move.

Also, for some unknown reason the king captured and kind of tortured Favaro with things. Was it petty acts, or is it perhaps some connection to what gives the Onyx knights power? Also, love how the way Favaro acts which initially got Nina's attention is really similar to what he did before he came across Amira, right now also think he somewhat agreed to train her because she reminded him of her.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Ep 9
It is never made concrete why Charioce captured Favaro, but just as well Favaro was the recorded "slayer of Bahamut" which would be reason enough to capture him to find out if Favaro was more than his bizarre afro.
Kaisar likely would have been thrown in jail earlier if not for already serving as part of the Orlean Knights.

We can assume that Rita taking over a week of prep time is more than ready to get the rest of the gang out of the prison, however Azazel likely isn't fairing better after this time and the forces of Heaven are more than acting parallel to season one's plot as they intend to smite Charioce for his transgressions.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 10

Jeanne and Mugaro/El's story was so sad.

Hmm, I have a theory now. Before the end, Mugaro is going to become the king.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 5:23 am Reply with quote
Episode 11

Jeanne and Nina's escape kind of ended in a sad state with them coming face to face with the bastard king, Nina clearly being crushed in finding out that her prince charming was actually this piece of shit. But on the other hand (lol) we had team Rita, who really could just brute strength the entire thing by turning the entire guards into a hoard of zombies, but she chose to actually not kill the guards, going by stealth in actually a sense of being kind. All the more for Rita being a straight up badass. Also Rocky who is pretty handy.

But also, the gods did something to Mugaro. They returned his power and his voice, but he is willing to hurt people out of some sense of duty, that is not him.

Next episode is titled "The Great Escape", and if that was not in this episode, I am giddy for what might be next.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
ep 12
with the stinger... spoiler[wait a second... WAIT a second... has this scenario been orchestrated by an unseen hand to revive Bahamut in one form or another @@
if so, we pretty much have been getting a long term remix of the first season.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 8:56 am Reply with quote
Dang if episode 12 did not be the epitome of everything that is amazing in Rage of Bahamut. I loved the mine cart scene, the classic Hollywood feel that could make first season so exciting, I had a huge smile on my face as it hit all of the tropes there.

The god fighting, the imagery of them lighting up the night sky that it was like it was day was pretty cool. Perhaps I would I also say I felt on the gods' side as they disabled all of the human powers, which although should be pretty horrifying, we saw plenty of why the humans had it coming, and that this was really Charioce's doing. That thing at the end, the secret weapon, it actually felt a bit eldritch, that I was thinking along the lines of summoning Cthulhu, a kind of different feel to things before.

Man, this was fun. Kaiser did not appreciate the secret with his hand.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
Episode 13

I love the preview, I think as if Charioce really talking up the power he had in the episode with how he had a giant hand and went "boom". Well, things are not entirely great, the gods were decimated, and the group ended up a bit separated. But Rita is on the job to pick up Kaisar and Favaro, and there is this real sense of adventure that we are leaving the setting of the city to go to Nina's hometown to find a way to the gods.

The downturn of the gods was their arrogance, putting thoughts into Mugaro/El's head stopped the retreat, but also the other gods did not heed the warning to retreat. We got a cool Nina fight as a dragon, guess she can't control her heart, but can try and use it.

But also, what Charioce has done, apparently as bad as Bahamut in what it could do to the world, that he should not have been able to put it together. So this brings up the continued question, is some force working with/using Charioice for something. Apparently the power older than gods and demons, and based off of my thoughts of what the power was like earlier, something akin to Great Old Ones. Or just some demon, or something less cool. Well this is maybe just how I have been into 5e recently, which has its lore with Great Old Ones.
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:39 pm Reply with quote
Wow! Awesome fight between dragon Nina and what seemed to be a more powerful than average golem. Surprised I liked the way dragon Nina blocked the golems punch with just her head. I wonder if Jeanne realized the dragon was Nina after that because that's something Nina would do, or was it just coincidence? Smile

So far, Charioce confuses me. I hate him, but not to the degree that his actions deserve. Is he really a callous, arrogant despot and the small bits of kindness he shows an anomaly, or does he have a truly good side?
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Ep 14
A nice breather from the half way point upheaval, Jeanne gets to act as a sort of cool big sis to Nina's usual genki antics.
And it seems some ones parent is a large green dragon... could Nina's father in fact be the same green forest dragon from Season 1 or was it simply a coincidence.

The opener seems to reveal very ahead of time that Lucifer will be returning in some fashion, my money is that before the end of the season Mugaro will decide to actually join up with the rest of the fallen angels or at the very least become an outcast of heaven like Bacchus and Hansa (short of something improbable like social reformations of overly proud gods).
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
This episode was a big rollercoaster of different emotions. I quite enjoyed the ups, seeing Nina's hometown, but my favourite was probably one of the downs where Jeanne had a talk with Nina's mother. One things may be that Nina's hot boy transformation situation may not be as simple as even Nina seems aware, her mother seems to connect it to Nina losing her father to one of Bahamut's fireballs. Attraction can, without saying it is a creepy problem, be tied to things like parents, and apparently her going berserk could be a combination of not just her dragon nature but trying to hide from pain she feels from losing her father. Which based on usually how happy Nina usually acts, there is more to her. But in addition, Jeanne now feels really guilty over her part in the Bahamut incident, for how this must personally affects happy Nina. Nina's mum acted as a well earned shoulder to cry on for poor Jeanne, something that probably required a mother.

Seems like they are trying something different with the new OP, not the usual type for the previous two, but it might be a good choice for the coming feel for the show. I do like the new ED though, I did really like the previous one with the game feels, but the new Cinderella idea makes me wonder why I did not before how it could be such a good fit Nina. Especially liked the dance off bit in the middle, with the characters a bit out of character, a nice charm we usually get in the previews, it feels fun, really Nina.
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:45 am Reply with quote
The OP also has the cliched heroes-stand-on-cliff-and-look-out-into-the-distance scene with Nina, Kaisar and Favaro alongside Azazel and Charioce! Is this the ultimate team? Where are Jeanne, El, and Rita? On the side of the Gods and opposed to Charioce and company? Has Nina succumbed to "Chris's" charms? Have Azazel and Charioce made up? Why are our dashing bounty hunters in this group, too?
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Episode 15

And we got to the land of the gods, strangely notable to me was we got an angel cutie. Was rather sad what we got from the Gods' point of view, that they have sacrificed themselves, and the humans pretty much spat in their faces (worse than that). There was this rather interesting scene that I think is a little more subtle than it might let on, we see the humans doing some sort of magic in regards to the device they created, which actually feels somewhat similar to what the gods did in the first series in trying to contain Bahamut. We get a little bit of the feel that the humans might not be too different in way, one being put to exhaustion and another taking their place, but this thing they are trying to hold is something they caused themselves, one the humans then make the brat of an idea that they just let the gods take care of it. That even as the humans have cause the damage to the gods, they would when it is too hard try to have them clean up their mess, the exact sort of thing that gives merit to some of the pride the gods have in their role. Although it seems that exact thing is something Charioce is not a fan of.

And talking of pride Mugaro/El has finally got back with his mother, although I don't trust Gabriel in just letting it happen. Although, who can say because it looks like Mugaro/El has fallen victim to the gods' pride in how he seems to blindly see himself as the only one who can fix everything, an act that could end in more tragedy. Power has started to corrupt sweet Mugaro. It is nice though how he can appreciate Azazel, which kind of goes to how Lucifer seems to have taken the long game, that the human power gain is just short term thing. Kind of would like that those who are not up for how horrible things are right now to be able to talk.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3