• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Funimation Subpoenas Cloud Hosting Platform Over Copyright Infringement of One Piece Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagpo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:01 am Reply with quote
a waste of everyone's time, money and resources.
Saku-dono

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:06 am Reply with quote
Freaking Funimation... what a desperate act from them.

They get good money from people yet their service is crappy and they have the gall to actually waste money on this soon-to-be lawsuit. I wish people paying Funimation will open their eyes and sue them instead.
The Count

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
Hey, we already have two people who know how to run Funimation's business better than they do. God I love the internet.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:16 am Reply with quote
You know, they could've put this effort into fixing their video player. I gave them $60 for a year and it's absolutely awful. At one point there was a slight advantage of their player working on my Smart TV (which Crunchyroll's doesn't), but the last update screwed that up. Plus their refusal to put up Nichijou...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Dontey Griffith

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:26 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

They get good money from people yet their service is crappy and they have the gall to actually waste money on this soon-to-be lawsuit. I wish people paying Funimation will open their eyes and sue them instead.

They have to sue, if they don't they lose the rights to One Piece.
Raikuro

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:30 am Reply with quote
Seems pretty obvious Funimation would be obligated to go after people taking the content they licensed from Toei that is being stolen and torrented. As much as entitled people love to hate on Funimaton, it's not like they have much choice in the matter or else the could risk losing the rights themselves.
FilthyCasual

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:40 am Reply with quote
LEET John Does, huh?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
I don't see how Digital Ocean has any liability here given the "safe harbor" provisions of the DMCA. The article doesn't really make clear what kind of complaint Funimation has filed. If it's simply a "take-down" request under the DMCA, Digital Ocean may have responsibility to remove the offending site, or request that the site owner remove the offending material. Otherwise Digital Ocean seems largely inoculated from liability by the safe harbor provisions.
gravediggernalk
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 8:48 am Reply with quote
>People mad at Funimation for suing a site that makes money off of pirated material from a third-party

I can understand being mad a Funimation for having a bad video service (Crunchyroll's is laughably bad too), but it's just silly to not see why this is the right thing to do.
BringBackUzume

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:18 am Reply with quote
Saku-dono wrote:

Sue Funimation for what exactly?
traitorAIZEN

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:39 am Reply with quote
Making their services worldwide would have been a better use of time and money.
I guess i still have no choice but to watch pirated copies. Great job.
LilacSkyAtDawn

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:51 am Reply with quote
traitorAIZEN wrote:
Making their services worldwide would have been a better use of time and money.
I guess i still have no choice but to watch pirated copies. Great job.

While I obviously think Funimation has every right to sue, I also agree 100% with this comment. For goodness' sake, every legal anime site blocks me on entry! I can't even access them to look at what shows they're streaming in a given season because they're like "this website is not available in your region." And then they're like "hell, it's licensed in English, the universal language, so the whole world can watch it legally." Too bad "the whole world" doesn't seem to include my entire region. Oh, well. Their loss.
princess passa passa

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
It's clear we're not in the fansub days of yore anymore...

Curious to see what the online anime community is gonna look like in next 5 years Confused
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:58 am Reply with quote
Seriously, this whole DMCA thing needs to be stopped! DMCA must be abolished for good!
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:04 am Reply with quote
It doesn't help that some people who used the site in question had a habit of going up to Crunchyroll's booth at conventions and loudly bragging to the reps at the booth about how they proudly used illegal sites (specifically namedropping that one). It's like they were asking for these companies to take legal action against it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5