• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Golden Boy's Tatsuya Egawa Claims GTO Plagiarizes His Debut Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kiminobokuwa

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:49 pm Reply with quote
This is interesting...usually mangas have so many similar tropes and writing styles like the endless "Got transported to another world" cliche that i thought this wouldn't be considered a thing. I never read GTO or Be Free, so...I don't know if that is the same thing implied. Please keep updates on this one...i want to see the response..
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:52 pm Reply with quote
Never read Be Free, but now that I hear this, I'd be interested to check it out.
louis6578

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 8:56 pm Reply with quote
Update. I cannot find a single place to buy this manga, nor can I find a place to read scanlations of it, either legally or illegally. Pretty obscure.
nargun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
{Edit}: I have removed your quite rude and quite excessively condescending post. Rule #1 here is be civil. ~ Psycho 101
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:31 pm Reply with quote
*Shrugs*. That whole 'rogue and unorthodox teacher' thing's been done since at least Sidney Poitier's To Sir, with Love and Stand and Deliver. Gotta be more specific. Also, if you really wanna go there, the dude from GTO's really a rip-off of The Fonz from Happy Days.

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:48 am; edited 3 times in total
TheOtakuX

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 9:45 pm Reply with quote
[quote="nargun"][quote="louis6578"]Update. I cannot find a single place to buy this manga[/quote]
is that you're a self-important but fairly ignorant person; the existence of amazon is something that I'd think a reasonably-well-informed person would be aware of, no?[/quote]

Or he was looking for an English translation...
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2017 11:12 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Never read Be Free, but now that I hear this, I'd be interested to check it out.

Maybe that is the point? It is kind of strange to reveal this long after both series have debuted and established their plots and reputations. Has Egawa ever made this claim before? Plagiarizism is a serious accusation, and kind of strange it would be categorized as "fine for a disciple". Then again, I understand copyright has a completely different set of concepts between Japan and the United States, including an author's rights and competition. If the original author is 'okay' with it, then it is indeed 'fine'? Still, the timing is throwing me off. Confused
YROSHIKU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 1:17 am Reply with quote
And now he decided to talk about this? After all those years?
rtil

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
this is kind of a non-story because he says it's not really a big deal because he was his disciple. so that's the end of it, yeah?
SaitoHajime101

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 6:47 am Reply with quote
YROSHIKU wrote:
And now he decided to talk about this? After all those years?

It feels his comment about GTO in relation to Be Free was just a story to further the original comment about Fujisawa's personality and drive as a new mangaka. I don't feel there was any intent to start a controversy here. Egawa also mentions that, by Egawa's claims, it's already been talked about before and handled.

I think the reactions are just knee-jerk as this might be first time news to a number of people.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:11 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
*Shrugs*. That whole 'rogue and unorthodox teacher' thing's been done since at least Sidney Poitier's To Sir, with Love and Stand and Deliver. Gotta be more specific.

Be Free! started 4 years before Stand and Deliver was released. Also, it's semi-autobiographical (at least he taught college math for a short time), so there's that, i.e., he wasn't cribbing off To Sir, With Love.

I'm more interested in the part of the story where he says Fujisawa was an industry spy who left after 3 days. That doesn't quite jive with "disciple." It's hard to tell how firmly his tongue was planted in his cheek during this interview. Smile
bigivel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:18 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
GATSU wrote:
*Shrugs*. That whole 'rogue and unorthodox teacher' thing's been done since at least Sidney Poitier's To Sir, with Love and Stand and Deliver. Gotta be more specific.

Be Free! started 4 years before Stand and Deliver was released. Also, it's semi-autobiographical (at least he taught college math for a short time), so there's that, i.e., he wasn't cribbing off To Sir, With Love.

I'm more interested in the part of the story where he says Fujisawa was an industry spy who left after 3 days. That doesn't quite jive with "disciple." It's hard to tell how firmly his tongue was planted in his cheek during this interview. Smile

Golden Boy's Author is very well know to saying bad and stupid things. Things that made him be one of the most hated mangakas in the industry.

This comment is just one of many other bad comments he made.
LadyKuzunoha

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 12:18 pm Reply with quote
SaitoHajime101 wrote:
I think the reactions are just knee-jerk as this might be first time news to a number of people.

I agree, plus the fact that it came up during a variety show and he laughed about it leads me to believe that he said this intending it to be more of a humorous anecdote than any kind of serious claim. Granted, I only have as much context on this matter as the article provides.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Gina: Ok, then, Welcome Back, Kotter. It's all the same is my point here.

Last edited by GATSU on Sat Jun 03, 2017 10:57 pm; edited 1 time in total
Beatdigga

PostPosted: Sat Jun 03, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
This isn't some no name making these accusations.

Then again, Welcome Back Kotter.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2