• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Free! Iwatobi Swim Club

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:10 am Reply with quote
I am very envious of those big shelves, and the figure collection is very nice. Perhaps one day, when I move to a bigger house, I will build my dream shelves.
Snakebit1995

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 11:14 am Reply with quote
Cool seeing RWBY on the list, anime or not whatever your view it's a fun watch.

Personally I could never get into Free, I just can't get the appeal it's so...boring to me, swimming just isn't that interesting or intense.
XtremeAnimeDan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Sorry, but someone needs to get their facts checked. Crunchyroll is doing the Free! Iwatobi Swim Club release, not Funimation. Crunchyroll hired Funimation to do the dub, and their alliance with Funimation allowed them to release it with Funi products. However it is a Crunchyroll product, not Funimation.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:29 pm Reply with quote
I actually saw Free for the first time earlier this year. Even if I'm not in the target audience, it is a good, fun sports anime and of course a well made one. It's not hard to see why it is popular and it's not just the manservice. Though Gabriella did say abs in the review almost as many times as Yowapeda's Izumida Smile

I'll second thinking it is nice to see RWBY here, whatever one wants to refer to it as.
chito895

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 12:57 pm Reply with quote
Yo, that Ruri and Yurika figures are nice! Hopefully I can still find them out there...
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:13 pm Reply with quote
@chito895

With eBay anything is possible, but I have that Yurika figure, it is one of the first I bought, probably about 1998. Wink I haven't seen the Ruri figure before though.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Snakebit1995 wrote:
Cool seeing RWBY on the list, anime or not whatever your view it's a fun watch.

Personally I could never get into Free, I just can't get the appeal it's so...boring to me, swimming just isn't that interesting or intense.

I was happily surprised to see RWBY too! However one classifies it, if you enjoy it, then it's awesome to see here.

While I'm personally a diehard fan of Free!, I can certainly understand it's not for everyone. I appreciate your respectful attitude.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:00 pm Reply with quote
I tried to watch Free got six episodes into season one and tried to watch part of season two it's got the useal Kyoto Animation quality. For those that like that sort of thing I'm glad they have something for them. It just in the end was not my cup of tea.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:07 pm Reply with quote
I notice that the boxart used for the latest Kino's Journey release still bears the old ADV logo. Might I ask if there an explanation for this practice?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
I notice that the boxart used for the latest Kino's Journey release still bears the old ADV logo. Might I ask if there an explanation for this practice?

ADV never quite went extinct. It still exists, and holds a tiny number of licenses. I have a Blu-ray copy of Elfen Lied from 2013 that bears the ADV logo.
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

Because while ADV doesn't exist in the form that we all remember it as, the company does still exist technically & still has the licenses to a handful of titles, like Kino's Journey. When Elfen Lied was re-released a few years back, it also featured the ADV logo, making it (I think) the only time "ADV" ever released a Blu-Ray.

Is ADV still licensing titles? No, but there is still merit in occasionally re-releasing some of the titles it still has the rights to. Now if only that Kino set actually featured more than just the TV series. The last Elfen Lied included the never-before-included OVA episode, so I was hoping for a Kino's Journey re-release to include the short movies made since the TV series, but I guess that was asking for too much.
Ouran High School Dropout

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:01 pm Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:

An interesting follow-up: Please check out the following link from blu-ray.com:

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/movies.php?studioid=235

It makes me wonder if what's left of ADV is trying to claw itself back...
wolf10

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:44 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Lone adventurer Kino wanders the land with his talking motorcycle Hermes, never spending more than three days in one place.

*cough* *cough*
varmintx

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 5:54 pm Reply with quote
wolf10 wrote:
Quote:
Lone adventurer Kino wanders the land with his talking motorcycle Hermes, never spending more than three days in one place.

*cough* *cough*

Yeah, that needs to be changed to "their" for reasons that shouldn't be gone into.

Also, how the hell are there no reviews for the series? It's been released about a hundred times over the years.

Also, also...this is one of the best series ever and everyone should watch it.
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Ah yes... Before there was the first actually gay sports anime YOI!!!, there was the not-actually-gay-these-guys-are-just-REALLY-close sports anime Free! season one. After watching both seasons in one sitting, it still remains one of my favorite KyoAni and sports shows so far. The characters​ are lovable doofs and the water animation is beautiful. Glad that Funimation made sure the LE for season one fits snuggly into the Premium Edition boxset of Eternal Summer which saves me shelf space.

I'm also surprised Kino's Journey never got an official review. Since there's a new animation coming out, maybe now would be a great throwback to this underrated gem?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2