• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GATE Anime's English Dub Casts David Wald as Yoji Itami

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
1st season ships on July 11

You meant to say both seasons ship on July 11. Unless of course you are counting all 24 episodes as one season.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:32 pm Reply with quote
Not exactly the way I imagined Itami's voice in English but it's workable. David Wald has done good or great work in plenty of other titles so I'm not expecting anything less than a solid job here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 3:38 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... I dunno. I love David Wald, but I think he might be a bit miscast from the little clip shown here. I'll have to listen to more to make a full judgment. Neutral
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
I've already ordered Gate... this morning... so it's not like it matters that much to me; I've already seen the sub more than once and I purchased it based on that.

...but...

David Wald sounded both deeper and more badass in the Super Sonico show and that was a comedy. His voice actually cracked at the end of this clip trying to get that high register for some reason.

Yes, he's done and does excellent work and when I first read the name, I thought it was good casting. So what went wrong? In other words, who's directing this?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:08 pm Reply with quote
I have to agree. Wald just doesn't sound right for Itami, especially with that Otaku scream at the end. It made me cringe so much that I'll stick to the Japanese cast.
Hiroki not Takuya

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:03 am Reply with quote
I think Mr. Wald sounds pretty good! I didn't have any preconceptions and he delivers nuances in feeling along with the over-the-top stuff.
prime_pm

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:40 am Reply with quote
*sigh* Right, let's see how wrong I get this:

Jessica Boone or Calvello for Tuka Luna Marceau
Maggie Flecknoe for Lelei
Somebody for Rory Mercury (I originally wanted Monica Rial, but I'm now open for anybody)
Tiffany Grant for Piña Co Lada
Cynthia Martinez for Shino Kuribayashi (I don't care what everyone all around the world says, I still prefer her Lina Inverse)
either Christine Auten or Shelly Calene-Black for Yao Haa Dushi

I imagine every single one of these wrong, so whatever. Bring it on.
Key

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:54 am Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Tiffany Grant for Piña Co Lada

While your other picks seem reasonable, I don't know about this one. In Japanese Pina is pitched about at low as you ever hear a female voice go for a young adult female character, and Grant doesn't normally do the very deep voices.

Rory's casting and performance is the one I'm most interested in, as her seiyuu uses a very distinctive cadence.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1