• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Shingo Honda Ends Hakaijū Manga, Starts New Series

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DTM108

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I actually have the tankoban volumes 1-9 of this manga that I bought while on two trips to Japan in 2012 and 2013. Hakaijuu is an extremely gorey monster manga with some pretty incredible art. I've been waiting for some American publisher to pick it up and now that it's over, what better time? Does anyone know if there's been any interest to bring it stateside? It's definitely deserving.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:00 pm Reply with quote
If they ever do another Bloody Roar game, they should get Shingo Honda to design a character. His style would fit that game's aesthetic perfectly.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
DTM108 wrote:
Wow, I actually have the tankoban volumes 1-9 of this manga that I bought while on two trips to Japan in 2012 and 2013. Hakaijuu is an extremely gorey monster manga with some pretty incredible art. I've been waiting for some American publisher to pick it up and now that it's over, what better time? Does anyone know if there's been any interest to bring it stateside? It's definitely deserving.

I don't know enough about the series to make any judgment calls on that, but if Parasyte can succeed here, so can this. Well, if it's the sort of horror I think it is. What is its tone, level of action, and atmosphere?

(For whatever reason, that Volume 20 cover makes me interested in checking it out.)
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:48 am Reply with quote
I've been very interested in reading this manga for a couple of years now. Could anyone that's been following it point out if the final chapters are rushed or not? Without spoilers please and thanks in advance.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:52 am Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

I don't know enough about the series to make any judgment calls on that, but if Parasyte can succeed here, so can this. Well, if it's the sort of horror I think it is. What is its tone, level of action, and atmosphere?

(For whatever reason, that Volume 20 cover makes me interested in checking it out.)

I would argue that it is a straight up "people running away from giant monsters" story, with an extreme emphasis on "horror" (though I'd argue there are some slight genre shifts along the way).

I'd say the tone is straight up serious, thought the level, degree, and gruesomeness of the violence.makes it feel like borderline black comedy at times.

If I could describe a virtue about what i read so far, it would be "escalation". Just when you think the monsters couldn't get any nastier, gross, brutal, or larger, the series just keeps stepping it up (and also some wonderfully absurd plot-twists).

It really made well...."guffaw" a lot, in a good way, so to speak. Though I don't know if that's a real selling point? I hope someone picks licenses it soon, it would be a day-one buy for me.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:22 am Reply with quote
Well at least I know how many volumes I'm gonna buy of it, I already have until volume 14 and it's awesome
Souther

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:27 am Reply with quote
Hakaijuu'd be a cool title to release in English. The monster designs are amazing! Looking forward to seeing what Honda's new manga's going to be too.

BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
If they ever do another Bloody Roar game, they should get Shingo Honda to design a character. His style would fit that game's aesthetic perfectly.

Thanks for reminding me about how much I miss Bloody Roar. Sad
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1