• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Monogatari Series Novels' New 'Monster Season' Begins on July 15

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:22 am Reply with quote
If it is not an actual final season, don't call it that. Call something the final season when you are positive and have it set-up to where it will be the final season.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 12:39 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
If it is not an actual final season, don't call it that.

People generally thought that Monogatari's "final season" was actually going to be the conclusion of the franchise until the last "final season" book ended with the announcement that there would be more books. I remember a lot of eye-rolling happening at that point, but also a fair amount of "hooray, I didn't want the series to actually end" comments.
bleachigo66

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
Part of me is always excited for these announcements and the other part is the side that decided to collect the anime series on blu-ray and is sobbing.
Laughing
garlogan78

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:52 am Reply with quote
I know SHAFT said they planned to animate the whole series, but did they know that the novels would just keep going and going? I wouldn't be surprised if adaptations stopped after Final or some side stories.
hattori300

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 7:51 am Reply with quote
I just want an ending to Araragi's arc, its been too long by now. If they want to do a new story in the same universe thats fine, but please give closure to these characters we have been following for years already.
Dian Z

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:50 am Reply with quote
I wonder if it'll follow Araragi again or will it be about a new protagonist?

Well, from the synopses of the new novels, it seemed that Araragi's story has come to an end. Light spoiler: spoiler[Like about when he's quite an adult an all. The other characters have also been shown to achieve (or still trying to achieve) something in the adult (professional) world]. That honestly made me uninterested in what's to come about them. Giving them problems just so that there can be a new arc wouldn't appeal much to me.

I hope it's new characters and around a new protagonist.

(Nevertheless, I still have mixed feelings about this, Nisio's writing, just like SHAFT's monogatari's style, have started to feel rather repetitive and predictable).
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
The series that never ends despite always hinting at one.

To be fair, the last two books talked about new characters and a few adventures which were never completely fleshed out over the last few seasons. I can see where the series is going with the new season, but July 15 is some way off and I have other things to look forward to over the intervening period.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
Eventually the series will end (copyright wise) 70 years after the creator dies. By then, it will be the era of our great-grandkids.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 11:56 am Reply with quote
I haven't see all of it yet, but on the last one, didn't it end with them graduating?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 1:18 pm Reply with quote
MarshalBanana wrote:
I haven't see all of it yet, but on the last one, didn't it end with them graduating?

Yeah, but one of the earlier arcs flash forwarded to the next school year, where things are still happening in the lives of the protagonist's former underclassmen. From my understanding, the newer novels are either set during or after that timeskip.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1