• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Lu over the wall

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zump

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm really disappointed to hear about this. I was excited to hear that Yuasa was working on an original project for the first time since Kick-Heart. Maybe he's still used to working on TV series where he has more room to develop ideas?

Either way, I'm still eager to see his other film The Night is Short, Walk on Girl and his upcoming Devilment series.
relyat08

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
Certainly a bummer to read this. I'll still look forward to an international release, as a fan of his stuff, but lots of praise would sure be better. I've heard that it has been under-performing by a lot at the Box office in Japan too, so that's a shame. Yuasa deserves a big success at some point.
RogerSmith2004

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2017 7:35 pm Reply with quote
I can't speak for the rest of the review since I have not seen the film myself, but I'd hardly call Yuasa "a divisive figure". Almost all of his works are critically acclaimed and beloved except maybe Kemonozume and Kick-Heart.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
RogerSmith2004 wrote:
I can't speak for the rest of the review since I have not seen the film myself, but I'd hardly call Yuasa "a divisive figure". Almost all of his works are critically acclaimed and beloved except maybe Kemonozume and Kick-Heart.

I think by "divisive" they meant that they are not particularly accessible. I know a lot of people who won't even touch his work because of the unusual aesthetics he likes to dabble in. And of the ones who give them a try without realizing what they are getting into, many hate them because they "look bad"(read: not like conventional anime). So I would consider divisive to be pretty fitting in this case. His stuff isn't really made for or, in turn, appreciated by, most casual audiences.
FackuIkari

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 9:08 am Reply with quote
Well that was sad to read, dammit. I'm still gonna watch when I have the chance because is Yuasa but still, damn
RogerSmith2004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 1:47 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
RogerSmith2004 wrote:

I think by "divisive" they meant that they are not particularly accessible. I know a lot of people who won't even touch his work because of the unusual aesthetics he likes to dabble in. And of the ones who give them a try without realizing what they are getting into, many hate them because they "look bad"(read: not like conventional anime). So I would consider divisive to be pretty fitting in this case. His stuff isn't really made for or, in turn, appreciated by, most casual audiences.

I think we may have to agree to disagree on this one. The only show where I can say that people were turned off by the visuals was Ping Pong. Otherwise, anyone I know who has seen Tatami Galaxy or Kaiba had no problems with the visual style. In fact, the biggest criticism I see for Tatami is the characters talking fast.

But perhaps we frequent different sides of the community.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:16 pm Reply with quote
@RogerSmith2004 I would guess that you don't frequent any side of the community on the internet if you've never seen that discourse. lol Even on this site you'll see some of that.
The people that I spend time interacting with typically enjoy Yuasa, but all you need to do is watch a single Youtube video about him, visit a single anime forum outside of Anipages or sakugabooru, head over to Facebook for 15 minutes, or scroll through anitwitter, and you'll find droves of people who dislike it. It's not a matter of us "agreeing to disagree" as you put it.
RogerSmith2004

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 1:12 am Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
@RogerSmith2004 I would guess that you don't frequent any side of the community on the internet if you've never seen that discourse. lol Even on this site you'll see some of that.
The people that I spend time interacting with typically enjoy Yuasa, but all you need to do is watch a single Youtube video about him, visit a single anime forum outside of Anipages or sakugabooru, head over to Facebook for 15 minutes, or scroll through anitwitter, and you'll find droves of people who dislike it. It's not a matter of us "agreeing to disagree" as you put it.

I suppose if you look up anything you'll find people disliking it, but that doesn't make the work polarizing. That word has a very different connotation.

I've been around many parts of the community. I'm part of like 5 different Facebook groups that get a lot of traffic, I'm following at least 400 anime accounts on Twitter, and I can tell you that besides Ping Pong, Yuasa's art has not really received all that much in terms of disliking. Watched many an AnimeEveryday video, there's not much panning of Yuasa's art. Look 'Tatami Galaxy' up on Twitter, and you won't see much criticism. His stuff many not be the most popular around, but the people who do watch his shows, tend to love them. He's not a "polarizing figure" by any means. Are you telling me his works are polarizing the same way something like Re:Zero is, something like Erased is, something like even Eromanga Sensei is? I really don't think so. To me, calling Yuasa's stuff polarizing would be like calling Legend of the Galactic Heroes polarizing. I just don't see it.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 2:37 am Reply with quote
I would say it's polarizing in pretty much exactly the same way as something like Erased or Re:Zero, yeah. Or Attack on Titan, or SAO, or any of that stuff. Go ask fans of those shows what they think of a screenshot of Kemonozume? Or a full episode, if you want. Do the same with Kaiba. I guarantee most will comment on the look in some fashion expressing how unusual it is. Most will tell you something along the lines of "Hmm, looks very artistic, but I don't think it's for me" "Wow, that looks like a kid drew it" "I don't know if I'm really interested in that kind of thing" "That looks very different!" etc. etc.
IF you can get someone to watch the show, most will probably enjoy the story, but you have to get them to that point to begin with. Apparently you've isolated yourself in an odd alternate anime fandom universe where people aren't immediately turned off by non-conventional aesthetics, because I have yet to go through a conversation about Yuasa anywhere on Facebook or Youtube without someone mentioning his unique visual style as a reason that they "just can't get into" one of his shows.
Yuasa stuff is not very accessible, simply put. And considering Yuasa has more or less even admitted that, I think calling it polarizing is pretty fair.
RogerSmith2004

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 7:43 pm Reply with quote
You are thinking of niche, polarizing has a connotation of "love or hate", but how can people say that they don't like Yuasa if they haven't seen any of his shows? They can't. Yuasa isn't polarizing. His stuff is niche and cult, but not polarizing. Have you seen a single AnimeEveryday video? Yuasa's stuff gets praised. Don't tell me I haven't been on any Facebook or YouTube groups, I've been on a ton of them, I've collaborated and talked with many folks in the anime community. I know what I'm talking about, and I am rather offended by your assumption that I'm being dishonest.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 3:53 pm Reply with quote
RogerSmith2004 wrote:
You are thinking of niche, polarizing has a connotation of "love or hate", but how can people say that they don't like Yuasa if they haven't seen any of his shows? They can't. Yuasa isn't polarizing. His stuff is niche and cult, but not polarizing. Have you seen a single AnimeEveryday video? Yuasa's stuff gets praised. Don't tell me I haven't been on any Facebook or YouTube groups, I've been on a ton of them, I've collaborated and talked with many folks in the anime community. I know what I'm talking about, and I am rather offended by your assumption that I'm being dishonest.

Sorry if I offended you, but I find your inability to accept the term "polarizing" in this context to be laughably ridiculous. Just chill bro. As much as you're trying to dance around the term, everything you describe still fits nicely within what I, the author of this post, Yuasa himself, and most people I've talked to, would consider polarizing according to general comments. You are just being far too rigid with your definition. People don't have to know everything about something to decide they like or don't like it. And they can absolutely say they don't like Yuasa's stuff without actually seeing all of it. "Love or hate" is literally EXACTLY how I would describe Yuasa's work within this fandom.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1