• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Aniplex USA Releases 10th Anniversary Blu-ray Set for Gurren Lagann Anime

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dannphou

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 1:54 pm Reply with quote
Good thing this is coming out! You save money with this set rather than buying it separately. But, it'll still really expensive.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
So many Gurren Lagann releases from Aniplex USA. I refused to buy the BD import box because it was too expensive. I bought the DVD box instead, but disc 2 is faulty. Luckily I snatched the BD singles for sale last year. But if I had known this new set was coming, I would have waited.
Zoneflare

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Yet so many titles remain in their vault never to see the light of day ever again
7jaws7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:18 pm Reply with quote
Dont think I wanna shell out the money for this one. TTGL is an instant classic but it never really resonated with me as much as it did others. Felt the same way about FMA's "ultimate" collection.
relyat08

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 3:44 pm Reply with quote
Starting to feel a little bad for people who bought those Gurren Lagann singles now. If AoA wants to do these box sets, they should make that the original release, in my opinion. It's half the price of the singles and looks better...
Also, release Mushi-shi and Samurai Flamenco and Zvezda on Blu-ray please.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Will this be an actual box or will it be one of their pretend paper box sets that they like to do while proclaiming that they give you quality? I have their GL DVD box set, I didn't go for their previous BDs because it was either the super expensive import or the not cheap singles and I and my limited space hate singles at those price points. If this new set had been offered before (with a real box) I would have bought it, but right now I don't feel like double dipping. Instead I'll save my money and continue to import other stuff when I can. The one good thing is that this does give me hope that DRRR!! season 2 may get a box set down the road, because I'm not paying those prices for singles of a mediocre 2nd season.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
relyat08 wrote:
Starting to feel a little bad for people who bought those Gurren Lagann singles now. If AoA wants to do these box sets, they should make that the original release, in my opinion. It's half the price of the singles and looks better...

The biggest reason why I am not super angry at AoA is because I used the very nice DVD box from 2013 to store the BD singles. But yeah, Aniplex USA should be more consistent with their releases.

And I imagine that in a couple of years we will see one or two BD boxes for the 10th anniversary of Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood. That is my favorite anime of all time, but I am not sure I want to replace my Funimation's 5 parts BD releases.
nagpo

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
glad i bought the series on dvd way back when it was affordable.
Sorraffy

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:38 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:

I imported the UK release: £29.99 > US$149.99

Same 27 ep series, same 2 movies but for some reason AoA wants the US release to be sooo much more expensive
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 4:49 pm Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:

Seriously... I picked up Bandai's release on DVD that was sub only. I never picked up the movie because of Aniplex... Can't say I would go for this either.
OwlBiceps

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 5:11 pm Reply with quote
If I hadn't just spent 200 dollars on Heresy shirts I would be all over this.
fml
Ambimunch

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
I bought those blu ray singles for $30 each on sale, so came out to the same price. But I would've preferred to wait for this set if I knew..
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
Stampeed Valkyrie wrote:
nagpo wrote:

Seriously... I picked up Bandai's release on DVD that was sub only. I never picked up the movie because of Aniplex... Can't say I would go for this either.

I picked up the Anime Legends DVD set during one of DD's last Bandai sales. It's not on BD, it doesn't have the "Oh wow, new clips in old clips!" movies but it was about a tenth of this price so it more than evens out. Sadly the set was so badly bootlegged... can't begin to imagine why that happened... that it's worth as much now as what I paid for it and I paid next to nothing for it.

However if they managed to get ADV's dub for it then I could see paying this much for it as BangZoom's dub for it is kind of underwhelming.
redranger

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:03 pm Reply with quote
As far as I'm concerned 150 is a steal for blus of the best anime ever. I won't miss out this time. June 12 can come soon enough.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 9:12 pm Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
However if they managed to get ADV's dub for it then I could see paying this much for it as BangZoom's dub for it is kind of underwhelming.

But didn't ADV only dub like 5 episodes?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2