• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Kemono Friends Breathes New Life into Japanese Zoos

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Laethiel

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
I'm glad to hear the Friends at the zoo were behaving themselves. I saw a similar report here, which I've taken the liberty of giving a rough translation for the enjoyment of my fellow Friends.

Quote:
@trpg745 said:

My father, who works at a certain zoo, said that "The guys here because of this Kemono Friends thing have good manners, and they give more contributions than ordinary visitors." From the way he said it, they've made a good impression, so I'm reporting that the attitude of the Friends is getting through to the staff.

My father has to deal with complaints and troublesome visitors, so it made me really feel that the Kemono Friends fans haven't done anything to cause trouble.
Please continue to use the zoo as "guys with good manners".

I digress, but he's raising an actual animal fennec, but he said "Apparently the fennec in this Kemono Friends thing is a homosexual and is in love with a raccoon~", so I corrected this big misunderstanding.
So you heard the yuri guys' conversation, o father......

Also, in addition to the earlier report of 120k copies of volumes 1+2, the third guidebook announced that volumes 1-3 have a combined 200k copies in print.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Kim wrote:
When the zookeeper said, “You can ask me any questions you like,” plenty of hands went up, but nobody asked him about Kemono Friends.

You can almost feel the frustration from here! The otaku bait was there in plain sight before the assembled masses, yet none of them had the resolve to claim it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
EricJ2

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
When the episode eyecatch-breaks had real-life information on the animal by our professional zookeeper "friends"--with the Friend in the zoo habitat setting--it reminds you that the show was supposed to be animal information for younger kids, by focusing on the personality quirks of the real-life animals.
Back before airing it on late-night for what was meant to be the "obvious audience" sort of....distracted the demographic a bit.

Whether you can see an animal's personality (like a raccoon's or a panda's) in the way it solves its daily problems is the key to what makes zoo-watching interesting for a new tourist or not, and if it took the girl-bait of a cute anime show to get new fans hooked on that, it seems to have done the trick.

Zin5ki wrote:
Kim wrote:
When the zookeeper said, “You can ask me any questions you like,” plenty of hands went up, but nobody asked him about Kemono Friends.

You can almost feel the frustration from here! The otaku bait was there in plain sight before the assembled masses, yet none of them had the resolve to claim it.

In Japan, you can watch anime, you just can't SAY that you do... Sad
AholePony

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
This was nice to hear about. I know PETA hates them, but zoos as an education and awareness tool for people of all ages stuck in the city to experience what nature has to offer has always seemed like a net gain to me. If just a few of the people at the zoo this day developed a concern for their favorite animal/friend's well being and continued survival in the real world, I count that as a win.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 9:29 pm Reply with quote
If this brings in some extra money, I hope they can do something about the lesser pandas' mange problem. :/ Zoos running on a budget are sad enough, but when the animals look sick on top of looking bored, it's very depressing.
KH91

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 11:09 pm Reply with quote
So happy to hear more about the effect KF has had on people and the Zoo.

Quote:
There were no kids or parents in this crowd, mostly college-aged men armed with expensive-looking cameras.

The power of waifu Friends.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Wed Jun 14, 2017 12:22 pm Reply with quote
Laethiel wrote:
I'm glad to hear the Friends at the zoo were behaving themselves. I saw a similar report here, which I've taken the liberty of giving a rough translation for the enjoyment of my fellow Friends.

Quote:
@trpg745 said:

My father, who works at a certain zoo, said that "The guys here because of this Kemono Friends thing have good manners, and they give more contributions than ordinary visitors." From the way he said it, they've made a good impression, so I'm reporting that the attitude of the Friends is getting through to the staff.

My father has to deal with complaints and troublesome visitors, so it made me really feel that the Kemono Friends fans haven't done anything to cause trouble.
Please continue to use the zoo as "guys with good manners".

I digress, but he's raising an actual animal fennec, but he said "Apparently the fennec in this Kemono Friends thing is a homosexual and is in love with a raccoon~", so I corrected this big misunderstanding.
So you heard the yuri guys' conversation, o father......

Also, in addition to the earlier report of 120k copies of volumes 1+2, the third guidebook announced that volumes 1-3 have a combined 200k copies in print.

20 * 10,000 , right ?
DanQ

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 6:39 am Reply with quote
maximilianjenus wrote:

20 * 10,000 , right ?

Yes, kanji "万" means 10 000 (ten thousand).
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2017 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Very thrilling that Kemono Friends is helping raise interest towards zoo visits. Smile
However, I do wonder how well the animals are faring in the zoos...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1