• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Tokyo Neighbors Web Series Gives Frank Look at Being Gay in Tokyo

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PsychoPearl

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:03 pm Reply with quote
Yay! More LGBT friendly content! Very Happy
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 3:09 pm Reply with quote
Being gay in Japan is probably a lot better than being gay in the Middle East. So I can't help but he annoyed by that interview, when their problems pale in comparison to what gay people have to deal with in the Middle East, where REAL bigots live. At least conservative Christians don't want you dead. Disagreeing with someone DOES NOT make someone a bigot. Some people just don't understand what words really mean.
Bullza

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:44 pm Reply with quote
Lol I think I'll pass.
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 4:55 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Being gay in Japan is probably a lot better than being gay in the Middle East. So I can't help but he annoyed by that interview, when their problems pale in comparison to what gay people have to deal with in the Middle East, where REAL bigots live. At least conservative Christians don't want you dead. Disagreeing with someone DOES NOT make someone a bigot. Some people just don't understand what words really mean.

Disageeeing with someone doesn't make you a bigot. However, hating someone just because of who they are and attempting to codify your personal prejudices into law by denying them the same protections as everyone else does. You don't have to want to kill someone to be a bigot.

And I hate to break it to you, but there are plenty of "conservative Christians" out there who want to kill gay people. US law just simply doesn't allow it. http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/03/24/395070728/calif-lawyer-proposes-ballot-initiative-to-kills-gays-and-lesbians

And FYI, the literal definition of being a bigot doesn't require that you want to kill someone either, only that you look at a different group of people with hatred or intolerance. https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/bigot Just because you don't like the literal meaning of a word, that doesn't mean you can twist it to be whatever you want.
Hellsoldier

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

1 - ''Never think about poverty in the West. It's nothing compared to Ethiopia.'' - This logic is dysfunctional at best. Something being worse doesn't make anything bad good.

2 - Yeah, many or most Christian Conservatives are bigots. Trying to illegalize same-sex attraction, beating up people, disowning LGBT offspring and making them homeless, or trying to convert them into heterosexuals/cisgender via psychological/physical violence, making at least 1/4 of LGBT youth contemplate suicide... Yeah it's bigotry.

3 - Christians are a (important but still a) minority in Japan. Traditionally they're Shinto/Buddhists. Nowadays Japan is practically an Agnostic Nation, that also has lots of Atheism.
Lord Oink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 5:25 pm Reply with quote
dragonrider_cody wrote:
And I hate to break it to you, but there are plenty of "conservative Christians" out there who want to kill gay people. US law just simply doesn't allow it. http://www.npr.org/sections/itsallpolitics/2015/03/24/395070728/calif-lawyer-proposes-ballot-initiative-to-kills-gays-and-lesbians

It really should be illegal for 'news sites' to post such blantly false and misleading headlines. You spreading it doesn't really help either. But yeah, seconding comparing Christianity to Islam is pretty ludicrous.
Crimson Queen Zora

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
I wish they had an episode on lesbian and trans people in Japan as well. I'm happy that there is more LGBT content and I hope it continues past Pride month.
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 8:01 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:

It really should be illegal for 'news sites' to post such blantly false and misleading headlines. You spreading it doesn't really help either.

What was false or misleading about it?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
comparing Christianity to Islam is pretty ludicrous.

Last time I checked, your religion doesn't determine whether you're an asshat or not. People of every creed are capable of extreme intolerance and cruelty, so let's not turn a blind eye to any bigotry, no matter the source.

Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
At least conservative Christians don't want you dead.

I'm sure every child traumatized by conversion therapy takes comfort in the fact that they were abused just enough to scar them for life, but not enough to actually kill them.

Edit: Provided a link. Make sure to check out the part about people getting "ice pick lobotomies" to cure their gayness.

Last edited by BodaciousSpacePirate on Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:06 pm Reply with quote
Lord Oink wrote:
dragonrider_cody wrote:

It really should be illegal for 'news sites' to post such blantly false and misleading headlines. You spreading it doesn't really help either. But yeah, seconding comparing Christianity to Islam is pretty ludicrous.

This is not blatantly false in the least. A simple Google search confirms its authenticity. You can even find the original paperwork when he filed for it. Just because the courts threw his petition out, that doesn't change the fact that a "Christian" tried to have this passed into law.

I know it's become "fashionable" to label anything you don't like as "fake news", but burying your head in the sand like a spoiled child and pretending that there aren't terrible people out there amongst every religion, and among the non-religious, is just sad and pathetic. Honestly, the attempts by some of all political leanings to label anything and everything as "fake", when it doesn't support their viewpoints, is perhaps one of the biggest problems
In our society today. It's quite disheartening how many people ignore news they don't like, and actively seek out only news that supports their viewpoints, no matter how questionable or easily misproven it is.
Cetais

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:42 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Being gay in Japan is probably a lot better than being gay in the Middle East. So I can't help but he annoyed by that interview, when their problems pale in comparison to what gay people have to deal with in the Middle East

It's not a competition. They want better living condition for their own country before being bothered with other countries.

It's not like Japan has the power to fight for better living condition for LGBT+ in Middle East.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Cetais wrote:
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:
Being gay in Japan is probably a lot better than being gay in the Middle East. So I can't help but he annoyed by that interview, when their problems pale in comparison to what gay people have to deal with in the Middle East

It's not a competition. They want better living condition for their own country before being bothered with other countries.

It's not like Japan has the power to fight for better living condition for LGBT+ in Middle East.

People always do this as a way of illegitimizing any complaints about anything ever.

"Oh, you can be legally fired for being LGBT in the USA? Well at least you aren't being beaten do death! Why don't you focus on the *real* problems, fool?! Oh, wait, LGBT people are frequently the victim of hate crimes in the US and are beaten to death? Well, uh, it could happen more often!"
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:42 am Reply with quote
Alright lets keep it civil and on topic. Comparing being gay in Japan to other countries or regions is straying off the actual topic of this web series. So let's rein it back in and keep it civil and forgo anymore "snowflakes", "retarded", or other bait/insults (which have been removed). Thank you.
Chrysostomus

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:18 am Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
Comparing being gay in Japan to other countries or regions is straying off the actual topic of this web series.
Is it off-topic when it is literally a part of a question in the Graham Kolbeins interview?

Also, "snowflake" is an insult that needs moderation, but somehow "bigot" isn't?
Errinundra

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
No one here was called a bigot.

If you have issues with moderation PM the mods or raise it in the feedback forum.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1