• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Cup Noodle Anime Ad Imagines Kiki's Delivery Service's Kiki, Tombo as 17-year-olds

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harminia

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
the animation in this and the older ad are real nice
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
As admittedly surprisingly nice as this is, I can't help but feel like it's also a bit exploitative and weird. I dunno.
BlueAlf

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 11:43 pm Reply with quote
This is... this is actually really good.

It weirds me out that I didn't feel like eating any cup noodles though.
Dessa

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:24 am Reply with quote
Okay, who wants to see a sequel film now?
koinosuke

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:47 am Reply with quote
Why are they Japanese high schoolers? Neither of the characters are Japanese...
andyos
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:27 am Reply with quote
Lovely advert; especially interesting to see the characters animated in a lush style that's _not_ like trad Ghibli. But it did remind me of the old CollegeHumour joke film about 'If Miyazaki Films Were Like Other Anime' -

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq4vs4HbFxY&t=13s
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:12 am Reply with quote
These are all different points and are all good points. They really shouldn't be Japanese students... they moved I guess?, no big deal... it doesn't make me feel like eating ramen either... outside Japan, it's not that you feel like eating ramen, you just do it because it's been sitting in your cupboard for months... I'd like a sequel to Kiki especially if it didn't look like Ghibli... oh and that CH video was weird because anime is a medium while Miyazaki anime is itself a genre within that... I don't think they quite got that.

Miyazaki Pokémon would be about Misty and her flying around on Gyarados, Sailor Moon would be just about her being self reliant and a giant robot show would itself be a giant robot girl show... about a girl and a giant robot presumably. I'm not saying Miyazaki has a heroine addiction but his film catalogue speaks for itself.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:10 am Reply with quote
andyos wrote:
Lovely advert; especially interesting to see the characters animated in a lush style that's _not_ like trad Ghibli. But it did remind me of the old CollegeHumour joke film about 'If Miyazaki Films Were Like Other Anime' -

Think the joke IS supposed to be "Pop-culture Ghibli nostalgia meets current generic school shoujo cliche'" (darned if I know what that has to do with noodles, though).
Sort of the equivalent of our putting Dora the Explorer and Diego in a teen CW-series parody...Oh, wait, we already have "Riverdale".

(And yes, I second a "Kiki Goes to High School" sequel--So, Miyazaki doesn't know what he wants to do for his post-retirement feature?...) Very Happy
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:27 am Reply with quote
koinosuke wrote:
Why are they Japanese high schoolers? Neither of the characters are Japanese...

Not to mention that the original took place in a pseudo 1950s Europe where WWII never seemed to have happened. This looks like a modern reboot rather than a direct sequel.

I'd be up for a remake of Kiki in this style.
MrTerrorist

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 am Reply with quote
Beautiful animation.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 6:57 am Reply with quote
I thought this looked horrible. Kiki's Delivery Service is one of my all-time favorite films, and to see it twisted into a Japan-centric, modern teeny-bopper romance drama is as unsurprising as it is groan-worthy.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Kikaioh wrote:
I thought this looked horrible. Kiki's Delivery Service is one of my all-time favorite films, and to see it twisted into a Japan-centric, modern teeny-bopper romance drama is as unsurprising as it is groan-worthy.

Indeed. There are already far too many cookie-cutter high-school-fetishizing shows out there as-is. Hands off a classic please.
Zimba

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:20 pm Reply with quote
Nice!
EricJ2

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
Kikaioh wrote:

Indeed. There are already far too many cookie-cutter high-school-fetishizing shows out there as-is. Hands off a classic please.

I....sort of put it in the same Japanese pop-culture self-aware-spoof category as those "Grown-up Doraemon" car ads from a few years ago?:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGFemrtv7-M
DeTroyes

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:42 pm Reply with quote
I would like to point out that Kiki's Delivery Service was not originally created by Miyazaki, but was in fact based on a children's novel series popular in Japan. My understanding is that the novel series itself does follow Kiki through high school, and yes she and Tombo do end up as a couple. So for Japanese audiences familiar with the novels, this commercial isn't all that much of a departure from the source material.

So far as I know, only the first book was ever made available in English. Yen Press, are you noting this?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2