• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Attack on Titan (TV) (all seasons).

Goto page Previous    Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
MrTerrorist wrote:
@Blood-
My guess is that since there are other settlements outside of the walls with confirmation that Ymir came from a city whose rulers can make/punished people into Titans but not control them and Reiner's hometown who take pride of being warriors and turn into Titans by their own will, i think Reiner's hometown need Eren's ability to win in a war they might be losing.

Well, that certainly would make sense.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:33 pm Reply with quote
This was awesome. Taking revenge against the Titan that devoured Eren's mom...

Action is fluid along with the stellar soundtrack. Mikasa manages to free Eren and I think this episode did a decent job at capturing the emotions of the characters in particular between Mikasa and Eren. I'm impressed by how the VA was able to bring out the emotions.

Overall liked the psychology in this episode including the talk between Krista and Ymir.
Got what I had expected overall and I look forward to season 3.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 2:19 am Reply with quote
My general guess is that Titans are not such a one sided aspect, there are multiple countries out there and they are sending Titans at each other. Some role of the Coordinate allows whoever has them to control the Titans and thus the war, that mayhap that if they did die it would randomly go elsewhere and could be worse. Although there might even be a titan side, where those who have regained their will after being titans, being able to be human and transform. And they will save the world by destroying all of the walls. All theory with no evidence, so am totally wrong.

Seeing Eren control the titans was pretty huge. And the moment between Mikasa and Eren. I think that Ymir going to with the other two was stupid, she said it was because she would not have met Christa otherwise, but it is probably not worth whatever is going to happen to her. This was after Christa told her to stop doing things just for others. My thought of who might be on the Beast Titan's shoulder was that it could be Eren's father since it looked like he had glasses, but his hair was blonde.

This being the final episode of season two, I will give a rating of Excellent (9/10). Attack on Titan has not lost any of its steam, and although we have not got a hell of a lot of answers, the way the story has picked up, and how each little story is played with the sheer horror and the like, there are few things like it. Am looking for when we might finally get a continuation.
One-Eye

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
Harleyquin wrote:
#37 End
Was that Hannes standing on the Beast Titan right at the very end? If it is, what an irony it would be that the one who played such a huge role in raising the three kids turns out to be the very thing they've sworn to destroy. I find it weird that in the Beast Titan form he finds the standard issue manoeuvre gear to be such a novelty when he's been using it all this time. Perhaps something different with the sample he was looking at?
I'd say no, unless he has a beard and glasses now. Also you kind of answered it. Hannes would recognize maneuver gear and if you combine that with that we know that Ymir was asleep spoiler[in Titan form for 50-60 years (?) then chances are this guy/beast maybe also was asleep during the time when the equipment was developed].

Blood- wrote:
I'm curious as to why Reiner and Bertholdt didn't simply kill Eren once they knew he was the Coordinate? It seems to me that the ability is about the only way the humans have any chance against the Titans and with it gone, humanity would be doomed. Leaving him alive simply opens up the possibility that he will remain in human hands which has turned out to be the case.
Ok pure speculation, but based on Ymir's backstory Reiner's people/village have the ability to spoiler[turn people into titans]. So they are knowledgeable about the process and it means they know about the Coordinate power or maybe even have it. Maybe they used spoiler[criminals like Ymir turned into titans] as an army to protect their village by way of the power? We know that Eren's father turned him into a titan, so that means that maybe Eren's father was also from Reiner's village? This suggests that Eren's father gave him the coordinate power as well as the titan ability. Since Reiner, Bertholdt, Annie and Ymir don't seem to have the Coordinate power (But they seem to be able to attract titans to them with a yell, right?) then this suggests to me that only certain people are born with the ability (?) or given the ability through injections? You probably want to control who has this ability and not let the entire village have it (Reiner does say Eren is the worst person to have it). Now why don't they kill Eren and instead try to capture him? Maybe they don't have the coordinate power anymore at Reiner's village (maybe the person there died?)? Maybe the person who knew how to make the injections (Eren's dad?) is dead and they need to control Eren to use the power for them and therefore keep him alive? Or if its something passed on by genes then they need Eren's bloodline, which means his family might have been important at Reiner's village, in order to have more descendants at the village with the Coordinate power?

Wait I just thought of something else. Did Reiner's group know beforehand that he had the Coordinate power? Did they know that he got his Titan ability from his dad or was that kept a secret (I can't remember the first season that well)? Maybe its a more simple thing. Maybe they captured him to try to find out how he got the Titan power and what else Eren's people have? Reiner did seem surprised that Eren had the Coordinate power. Sigh, now I'm getting a headache trying to remember and put all these details together into a theory.
Quote:
Still hazy as to why Ymir feels she has some sense of obligation to Reiner and Bertholdt.
Well for one thing she did eat their friend, right? The other thing is that you can't trust what Ymir says. The only thing you can trust is that she's going to act in her interests or what she thinks is Christa/Historia's best interest. She also was afraid of staying within the walls of Eren and Historias hometown, saying that it was dangerous. Only when she saw that Eren had the Coordinate ability did she think there might be some small hope IIRC? It means she thinks her personal chances of surviving in the long run are higher outside of Christa/Historias walls and by aiding Reiner escape she might be trying to curry favor with his people so that they don't turn her back into a mindless titan again is my guess.

Ok, now I'm tired from all that. I think I'll go take a nap now.
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
Sleep tight dear.

Truly loved this season. Excellent.

Beast Titan seems to be able to control titans as well. Maybe Eren's not the only one with a Titan controlling power, maybe there are different kinds.
In any case, Eren having that power is not only a bad sign for Reiner and co, but for himself and this friends too. With great power comes great responsibility after all. Eren's quick to judge people als being villains and bad people. He clearly doesn't understand shades of grey that well, it all seems pretty black and white to him, though the same can be said of many other humans in the army we've seen until now. He thus has the possibility of slaughtering people in the name of freedom, setting bad blood and more revenge and war to come.
I mean, few ever questioned the other Titans of being humans when they learned that Eren could transform. Levi seemed quite surprised to hear Conny's report. I guess Erwin and Pyxis knew/did suspect to some extent. No wonder they're leaders.
Speaking of leaders... the only veteran soldiers alive with a name seem to be Hange, Levi, Erwin, Pyxis, Woer/Weilman and Rico. Killing some new recruits would seem more realistic. Shame they didn't keep some of the others alive. Give a few some plot armor! I would like to nominate Woerman as the next one to fall though. I hate his face.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jun 18, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
@ One-Eye: I posed the question of why Ymir decided to go back to Reiner and Bertholdt instead of staying with Crista in a different thread and a poster reminded me that the reason that Ymir feels obligation to those two is not just that she ate their friend (and thus feels guilty) but the act of eating their friend brought her memories back. She was no longer a wild Titan unable to return to human form. So she feels a combo of guilt/gratitude and that's why she went back to them. I don't entirely buy that as a satisfactory reason, but it has a logic to it and I'm sure that's what the writers of the show want us to think with respect to Ymir's decision.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
That's definitely not Hannes atop the beast titan. If you pause the episode at that scene, it's very easy to tell that it is someone else, especially considering how brutally Hannes was torn apart by the smiling titan.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:25 am Reply with quote
I read speculation here at ANN that the guy on top of the Beast Titan is spoiler[Eren's father.]
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 7:46 am Reply with quote
What kind of crazy person would think that?
spoiler[It was what I was guessing.]
I feel like we might find out it is someone's spoiler[father, maybe Annie's since I think a father was mentioned in her training]. I will split the difference to give the ultimate crazy conspiracy that spoiler[Eren's father and Annie's fused together in some crazy Titan witchcraft.]

Oh, there was something in the episode I thought I might just comment, and might as well here. The reviewer said that the underground city came out of nowhere in the story, but it actually has not, it had been mentioned before, at least in some of the OVA. It is actually where Levi grew up, why he is a clean freak as cleanliness is important there to prevent dangerous mold, and how he got trained in the gear. It could take in some amount of the people, but it does not make any food and thus food is a scarcity even for the regular population there, and I think there was possible health problems mentioned from spending their lives without sunlight.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 8:18 am Reply with quote
Sorry, DP, I forgot it was you who made that speculation. Now that I realize that, I no longer think it could be true. Wink

I kid, I kid! I personally think you are correct.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
Beltane70 wrote:
That's definitely not Hannes atop the beast titan. If you pause the episode at that scene, it's very easy to tell that it is someone else, especially considering how brutally Hannes was torn apart by the smiling titan.

As far as I could tell, there were no specifics on how Hannes was torn apart (it looked like he was chewed in half from the waist down). Looking at the character in question, he has the same hair colour as Hannes, he's not wearing any shirt (so if Hannes really is a Titan he could regenerate from the waist up, not sure if Titans are THAT ridiculous in their regeneration ability) and his final comment about it "being too early" seems to suggest something in relation to Eren.

It's all speculation of course. I've not read the source material. If I wanted to, I could easily spoil myself on the specifics. Regardless, anime-only viewers will have to wait for further adaptations to get the answers if they're not willing to go into the source material before 2018.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 11:25 am Reply with quote
I would say that one of the bigger reasons to think it's not Hannes is that the figure on Beast Titan was wearing glasses.
Harleyquin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 19, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
I would say that one of the bigger reasons to think it's not Hannes is that the figure on Beast Titan was wearing glasses.

I wonder if that was done deliberately by the animators to hide the person's identity. Funny how eyes make such a difference when it comes to identifying a person.

Either way, anyone who watches the anime exclusively will just have to wait a year before finding out if the beast titan's identity is revealed in the next adaptation.
Dunk_Kong

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 1:50 am Reply with quote
The ending is scary with the order from Irwin. Guess i need continue to read the manga for the more story.
Shikiari

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 6:34 pm Reply with quote
You'll kick yourselves when you find out who it is during Season 4. I say that asspoiler[ Season 3, unless rushed, won't contain Titans until the very last episode/s.]

Saying that, I have alot of respect for those only watching the anime with no spoilers. I personally couldn't wait to watch one episode per week, so I'm planning to marathon the season now it's out in it's entirety.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 95 of 107