• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Frame Arms Girl (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2017 2:02 am Reply with quote
Episode 9's second half was my favorite part yet from this entire show.

I don't think they'll ever do it again but seeing the frame girls in HUMAN form (even if it was just all a dream) was a special moment.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2017 2:16 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

A cool battle, a little bit of a troll, a sweet Christmas bit, and then Studio A-Cat really having at it with a few CG concerts, which I am not even upset with.

Frame Arms Girl can probably best be described as kind of weird, that is clearly going for a specific market with cute mini-girls in outfits not exactly sensible, and the mecha musume. But this show had charm, rather than I think just relying on being a cliché piece that just sucks up to the audience with cute girls, I think it actually managed to be funny in having its own sense of humour. And this is on top of the anime also acting as ads to the toys it is based on, in a way it kind of felt like it was being open about that part and willing to make jokes about it that it feels forgivable as a fun watch. That sounds like it could be really annoying, that it might sacrifice story for being sort of self-referential, indeed a number of the jokes play up kind of being familiar with this sort of thing, but in practice it actually feels like it is being itself and doing whatever is fun.

For the characters, I was afraid that I would feel kind of overwhelmed with the fairly large amount of them, but I think the were levelled out well and I enjoyed all of them with Gourai, Styko, Baselard, Materia Sisters, Jinrai, and Architect, with Hresvelgr occasionally. And on top off, Ao has more personality than some other similar shows, and does not feel exploited how she might otherwise be in being a fun and flawed yet relatable character. It kind of felt like it was a bit shaky with its animation early on, but part way through felt like it had a real bump, which makes me kind of hope it would be retroactive with BD release. Yeah, I would describe this as a hidden gem of the season. I give a rating of Very good (8/10), with the proviso that it might not be for everyone, but it kind of a hit a don't miss for me, I tend to like some of these sort of shows, and I can say it was actually pretty well put together.
dvls_advocate

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2017 5:13 pm Reply with quote
I agree with everything DuskyPredator said, especially regarding Ao. The anime could have made her out to be some generic simpleton, but she was very articulate and thoughtful when explaining to Gourai the emotions and feelings that Gourai was experiencing.

I also rate Frame Arms Girl a Very Good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2