• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Elusive Kemono Friend Tsuchinoko Slithers into Sgt. Frog Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CatSword

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I love Sgt. Frog, but I had no idea Mine Yoshizaki was the character designer for Kemono Friends!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Hazinger Zeta

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
It's pretty cool how he's continuing these omake parts for the hell of it in these recent Sgt. Frog chapters, when they initially served as apologies for shorter chapters during the time of the KF anime because he was caught up in work related to the franchise. In addition, based on hints/speculation, there might be a KF part in the plot in the current story arc in the Sgt. Frog manga, which makes things doubly interesting crossover-wise...

CatSword wrote:
I love Sgt. Frog, but I had no idea Mine Yoshizaki was the character designer for Kemono Friends!

Not just character design; he's actually also the creator of Kemono Friends in general and credited in KF media like the anime as "Concept Design". The director of the anime, Tatsuki, was given a high amount of freedom to do his own thing with the setting/characters, but often checked in with and consulted him for advice.
CrownKlown

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:51 am Reply with quote
Maybe its because of the name, but I always Mine was a female.
EricJ2

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:37 am Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:

I've been a Sgt. Frog defender for--yikes, more than fifteen years now?--and recent Kemono convert, and even I was surprised.
Then again, I was also surprised the manga was still going on.

However, the Kemono connnection does put that catgirl that used to hang around with Giroro in a whole new light. Anime catgrin + sweatdrop
Not to mention, who else watched Kemono for the first time and kept flashing back on that Sgt. Frog episode where Keroro and his squad go to the zoo and use Kururu's new gadget to turn animals human for new recruits?
(Seeing the PPP penguins triggered the episode recollection for me.)
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 9:50 am Reply with quote
It seems that Sgt. Frog never imagined that he would encounter a creature so rare like Tsuchinoko... Cool
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2017 7:21 am Reply with quote
Mr. Oshawott wrote:
It seems that Sgt. Frog never imagined that he would encounter a creature so rare like Tsuchinoko... Cool

It seems he never imagined he would be starring in a comic for over 17.5 years.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1