• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:50 am Reply with quote
I'd just finished the last episode and was wondering if there would be an article on it on this site, and lo and behold, it is right at the top of the page Smile

The King's Avatar is the only Chinese production that I've thought worth watching, to the point that I am looking forward to the second season. There is definitely room for improvement but I dare say it was very good. While Ye Xiu being a similar age is part of it, I like his calm craftiness and clever dialogue the most. I wasn't as put off by the differences in jargon between Chinese and Western MMORPGs, though I guess that is because I don't play them enough to be familiar with the Western terms anyhow (I was familiar with PK though I didn't notice that it was not quite the same until I read the article Embarassed ). I did appreciate that they had a video at the end of the last episode with the voice actors and the translator thanking the international fans. If you were to watch one Chinese production, I would recommend this one.
XerBlade
Subscriber
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:01 am Reply with quote
Rebecca Silverman wrote:
set in a gaming world, although in the isekai sense.

What...? Is there a typographical error there? Because, I mean...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:13 am Reply with quote
Yeah, there's a "not" missing. This is definitely NOT isekai! Embarassed
Cam0

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't know it was available for free on youtube. Seemed like 4 ads per episode though... I'm a gamer and I've played some MMORPGs so I definitely have some interest in this. The biggest obstacle for me is the Chinese voice acting. I've never watched anything in Chinese so the language barrier might make it a bit difficult to really get into the show. But I took a peak at the first episode and it looked exactly like anime, just everyone spoke Chinese.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
^It does take a little getting used to the different language but it isn't an issue once that happens. I can't really evaluate how good the actors are though
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Just as an FYI: in the early days of online gaming (I'm talking MUDs and the like), the term usually used was PK, not PvP. PK *specifically* means player-killer (or killing), whereas PvP just means Player versus Player, which may or may not involve actually taking out another player's character. From what I've seen, the term has gradually fallen out of usage, possibly for PC reasons, but whatever the reasons may be, it's not something you hear used much these days. Apparently, it's still used pretty heavily in China, though.
drifty1

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 2:51 pm Reply with quote
So, why doesn't it have a page on ANN? Is there some trouble with "purists"?
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 5:30 pm Reply with quote
drifty1 wrote:
So, why doesn't it have a page on ANN? Is there some trouble with "purists"?

"Purism" has nothing to do with it, Chinese animation is not - and makes no attempt to represent itself as - anime. Notice that there are no pages for Tower of God, Samurai Jack or Avatar: The Last Airbender, either, all of which have far more in common, trope-wise, with the average anime series than The King's Avatar.

...athough unlike The King's Avatar, all of those franchises at least have Wikipedia pages.
Droggie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
"The hero of the story is Ye Xiu, although most people know him as Ye Qiu. (It's explained in the novels thatspoiler[ Ye Xiu is his real name, but he ran off with his twin brother's passport.])"

THANKS FOR THE SPOILER.
Jedi Master Kirito

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
The author rather begs the question by calling it an 'anime'. Just because it is a good animation does not mean it has to be fit into the straight-jacket of 'anime' (which is always defined by reference to Japan).

Indeed, this very website provides that, "On Anime News Network, we define anime based on the origin of the animation. If it is primarily produced in Japan, it is anime. It should be clear, that by adhering to a definition that defines non-Japanese animation that mimic common anime styles as 'not anime,' Anime News Network does not endorse the notion that these 'anime-style' works are in any way inferior to animation produced in Japan."
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:22 pm Reply with quote
Tried this but my LORD is it tedious. If you think anime has terrible Gary Stu protagonists you ain't seen nothing. The MC of this thing is what you'd get if you combined the arrogance of Kazuma (Kaze no stigma) the exprisivity of Tatsuya (Mahouka) and the OP strategy powers of Shiroe (Log Horizon). In short.... he's completely insuferable.

"If you enjoy Sailor Moon, you'll probably like the French series loliRock"
Please be kidding.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:35 pm Reply with quote
^Uh, I dare say (and have said elsewhere) Tatsuya is more OP. Let's see he can: shoot through obstacles, made and used a gun with what seemed to have the power of a nuclear bomb, invented flying, and can resurrect himself and others, among other things (caveat: this is just based on the anime not the source). Meanwhile Ye Xiu is...really good at a game which he played for ten years, much of that professionally and was a multiple time champion, while playing mostly amateur, albeit serious, gamers. Which one is the worse Gary Stu again?
nightmaregenie

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
Just watched that first episode. As a native Mandarin speaker (albeit not based in mainland China), I'd say the voice acting is...serviceable, if a tad rough around the edges.
EmbraceMe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:02 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Tried this but my LORD is it tedious. If you think anime has terrible Gary Stu protagonists you ain't seen nothing. The MC of this thing is what you'd get if you combined the arrogance of Kazuma (Kaze no stigma) the exprisivity of Tatsuya (Mahouka) and the OP strategy powers of Shiroe (Log Horizon). In short.... he's completely insuferable.

Iunno, I have qualms with Gary Stu-esque protagonists but here, I feel it works well since it's explained through APM, game knowledge, reaction time -- far more sensible than many other series, I think. He's a professional player (and revered as THE Battle God) so it'd make sense he beats out most people, if not everyone.

That said, I really enjoyed this show because of how much insight there is into the Chinese esports scene. From contract issues, teamwork/inhouse training, the infamous "Chinese retirement*", and other things, it really hit a stride with me as a Dota2 fan who follows the scene closely. I particularly enjoyed the final episode, especially with the whole spoiler[flashback after the fight between rivals] and it just really epitomizes the desires and passions of professional players who want to seek that glory.

*Announcing retirement to escape contract penalties even if that means downtime for a year.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:30 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
Notice that there are no pages for Tower of God, Samurai Jack or Avatar: The Last Airbender, either, all of which have far more in common, trope-wise, with the average anime series than The King's Avatar.

Hard disagree with that. Jack and Airbender felt way too kiddy and American cartoonish. I have zero interest in eSports so I never got beyond the first episode, but King's Avatar felt way more genuine. That said, I don't call it anime.

-Stuart Smith
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3