• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Aniplex of America Appoints Shu Nishimoto as President

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SpacemanHardy

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
I've been reading a lot on my Twitter tonight about this, and a lot of people seem to be happy over the fact that Henry Goto is no longer the president of AoA. But I wouldn't rejoice just yet.

First off, he did not retire or quit. Instead, he got promoted to "Head of International Business Development" for Aniplex JP in Tokyo. If anything, this means that he'll possibly have even *MORE* influence over international licensing than before, and that influence may no longer be restricted simply to the US. In this new position, it's entirely possible that he may try to set up even more local subsidiaries for the Aniplex brand in other countries. I can totally see offshoots such as "Aniplex UK" and the like start popping up in the future.

It's no secret that many US fans have been avoiding their high prices and cutting out AoA as the middleman by buying region-free playes and importing the cheaper sets directly from the UK from companies like All the Anime. But with Henry in an even greater position of influence, who's to say he won't shut down negotiations with All the Anime just like he did with Funi, Sentai, and any other US licensors? In short, Henry wants his money, and he's determined to GET his money.

As far as things in the US go, I have absolutely no doubt that Nishimoto is going to keep running things exactly the same way Henry did. Prices will most certainly not go down. If anything, they'll continue to rise. And if Goto has his way, we soon might not be able to buy cheaper imports from other regions any more.

So no, I'm not happy that Goto is no longer the CEO. If anything, this just makes me even more concerned than before.

Be afraid.

Be very afraid.
Nate148

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:43 pm Reply with quote
and all of those things i.e price other branches are mandates from japan nothing more
SydneyAran

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 10:58 pm Reply with quote
This changes nothing for me. I still hate them, and refuse to accept their stone age way of thinking.
JGwinn1048

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:04 pm Reply with quote
The UK fanbase has gotten off easy with Anime Limited's work with picking up Aniplex titles. Pretty unfair that the US fanbase for Aniplex titles haven't received quality equivalent releases that the UK has received. Hopefully it will level the playing field and ensure that the releases are the same across the board.
Mr. Oshawott

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:19 pm Reply with quote
I've an ominous feeling that even with this new CEO of AoA taking over, the predicament of high prices and hoarded shows will never go away...
Cutiebunny

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2017 11:26 pm Reply with quote
The only Aniplex stuff I purchase are the production artwork sketches that crop up on the DL on Japanese auction sites. I hate Aniplex, but I love buying artwork that escaped their clutches as a nice "Uff da!" to them, their pricing, and handling of materials.
Usagi-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:15 am Reply with quote
Hired in 2009? Promoted to President of AOA in 2017? Nishimura might be an interesting person to watch. It took only eight years to hone business skills and navigate corporate culture to this level. I do not agree that this news is a harbinger of doom, though. It is too early to tell what kind of changes, if any, will be made.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
so what now do we pay in body parts or worse?
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
MagusGuardian wrote:

An arm and leg if you are the Elric brothers. Good thing most of my anime is streamed because I am not paying AoA prices.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 5:39 am Reply with quote
@SpacemanHardy I believe the UKs Anime market is to small for Aniplex to be interested. Not all releases in the UK have good prices, Durarara 2 has been spilt into 3 releases each one around £45, and when all added up that is $172. If Aniplex do anything, my guess would be to just ban titles from the UK rather then take the place of the distributor. Which would be a shame as currently we have the luxury of mostly good prices and Aniplexs high quality dubs.
Chiyosuke

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 7:32 am Reply with quote
Nate148 wrote:
and all of those things i.e price other branches are mandates from japan nothing more

This.

I guess people forget Henry Goto co-headed Geneon USA since the early 90s (along with Yosuke Kobayashi). Aniplex USA's prices have always been mandated from their parent company so people need to point fingers at them before anyone else.
Sachiko2010

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2017 11:50 pm Reply with quote
Meh, doesn't really bother me if he's twice as bad as the guy who's leaving. I stopped buying Aniplex DVDs and blu-rays two/three years ago and to my honest surprise, I haven't really lost any sleep about it. I just use all that money to buy three times the number of other series from different anime distributors. The whole experience with Aniplex and Ponycan have actually been good for me - it taught me that my life won't end if I can't buy an anime series, even if it's one I really love. If something is priced beyond all reason, I can walk away from it.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
At least AoA knows better to market anime here vs. sibling/cousin company Sony Pictures.
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 10:32 pm Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
MagusGuardian wrote:

An arm and leg if you are the Elric brothers. Good thing most of my anime is streamed because I am not paying AoA prices.
I'm seriously glad I got both full metal series and movies while they were in funimations control, personally the only other series I'd ever be interested in buying that were released by AoA is blue exorcist and Magi but looking at the prices I'd have to really Really REALLY [expletive] luck out at an anime con and get them third party for a better price or at the local half price books cause they can barely price anime right
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1