• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Grimoire of Zero (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chiibi

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2017 4:53 pm Reply with quote
Zero's so mad. Almost as mad as me.
How dare you end the episode there, you bastards. Twisted Evil

It really sucks for the girl to have her mother killed by beastmen like that. D: That was a creepy image too.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Episode 8

I somewhat suspected it (only a small amount), but it turns out that Albus is actually a girl, or at least biologically as she has otherwise been quite boyish. More so is that we learned she is Sorena's granddaughter, which especially explains why he was so involved with anger over the people that had her killed. If as wolf guy said that the leader of the cult ("Him") was responsible for Sorena being killed, then that would even stronger affect Alubs after hearing that he also killed Zero's people.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
The whole "Albus is really the granddaughter" confuses me because he kept insisting he's a boy through the whole show.....so is he using a spell to hide in a boy's body or what? Confused

Wolf floof is pretty cool this time.....I guess he has a soft side. :'D
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Mon Jun 05, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
If you thought that we were done with that shop owner, I have some news for you. It is kind of hilarious how sad it is.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 9

Oh, ffs. Really? We actually have to wait another episode before Zero and Mercenary are back together? They've stretched this out way too long, imo.
Yttrbio

PostPosted: Tue Jun 06, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
I want to see this building material which, though impervious to sharp objects used for climbing, crumbles away like clay when you put weight on it.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Lol @ you guys....

The granddaughter thing honestly does disappoint me though. A lot. Like why does she HAVE to be a girl? What's so wrong about grandson? Obviously it's not because of the witch lifestyle; as we have been shown, there are plenty of male witches too.

It's stupid and it's also freaking cliche. Rolling Eyes Boo, author. Boo.

......I bet you think I'm only bitching because I prefer a cute boy instead...WELL, YOU'RE RIGHT!!! HAVE A F***-ING COOKIE.

( : .)

D:<
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:32 am Reply with quote
*eats cookie*

Why does what is in her/his pants matter? S/he still looks like a cute young boy to me, kind of a Shiek situation to me. You can still enjoy Albus in how S/he looks and acts I like plenty, I like plenty of supposedly male characters that are super cute. Megumu from If Her Flag Breaks and Felix from Re:Zero are best girls regardless of what their anatomy is. And I am total confidence in being straight.

If you like a cute boy Chiibi, then you have to stand by it regardless of anything as petty as truth of gender/sex. You call yourself a man! *Row Row Fight the Power*
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:14 pm Reply with quote
I dunno....for one thing, we already have Zero, for the cute bishoujo witch. So, we don't really need another one in the trio. Variety is better. For another, all of Mr.Floof's jokes about making Albus wear girly clothes no longer are funny because Albus is not actually a boy. :/

DuskyPredator wrote:
You call yourself a man!

But.....

Okay, you walked right into this.....

Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 6:57 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha, how could anybody mistake Chiibi for a dude? To me, she's the girliest girl who ever girled.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 8:23 pm Reply with quote
Of course I knew Chiibi is female, don't be daft.
But I did not even use this in something so petty as one's gender.
*points dramatically*
NO! I ask if you call yourself a man in sense that you have pride in yourself as a human being, whether you are man able to stand for a cute boy or a beast that gives in because supposedly a decade earlier he was born without tail.
*Gainax pose*

Also I am kind of parodying over top things like TTGL, which I used to at first complain that they were too into men only being macho, but have kind of come to the idea that acting as such has gender as no boundary.
Anyway, Sorry about aspect of the character you liked turning out different, in a comparison I might compare with Mugaro from Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul. But I do think that I would laugh at if she was forced into girl clothes, because clearly it is probably not Albus' thing, not part of her character who has no real wish to be girly.

It is like this character I have in this story I have been writing, she can be mistaken as a boy, and although she dislikes that she absolutely hates feminine clothes, that she is somewhat criticised in my setting and would be funny if she was forced. And although it sounds kind of condescending that I am using an example of a character I made up, that maybe I don't have the authority to claim it, she is one of my favourite characters, and I have some really big plans for her. I am kind of writing an arch right now which is supposed to explore her character; her fear/shyness of men mistaken as hate, her complicated relationship with her vampire grandmother who taught her magic to summon demons, to her kind to anxious personality under her gruff appearance. I like her because she does not exist only as feminine or masculine. And really, it is kind of an aspect I might like about Albus that I might like. My character is also current be set as contrast to a male warrior from a female warrior tribe where gender expectations are kind of reversed, and he wears make-up with aspects of his clothes feminine because it is considered strong from where he comes from. Actually, I should make him like Mercenary and able to cook very well for the camp scene I am about to write to expand on his characteristics, this just gave me a good idea for the themes I am interested in.

Last edited by DuskyPredator on Sun Jun 11, 2017 3:03 am; edited 1 time in total
Chiibi

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Anyway, Sorry about aspect of the character you liked turning out different,

Lol, no need to be sorry; it's not like it's your fault. Anime hyper

I have a tomboy character too; she hates wearing skirts and even uses "ore". :[ What a delinquent. :'D
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:57 am Reply with quote
Episode 12 (finale)

So they erased the magic in the kingdom, and then the witches and normal people were able to have peace by blaming Thirteen, and then they were able to have magic be state approved, with Albus as the boss. A happy ending, but perhaps too happy in believing that the witches causing harm would just be forgiven and allowed to practice afterwards, rather than continue to be round up and killed. That general guy in the episode was even saying it was a good chance to kill them all. Perhaps they had something to really convince everyone, but we did not see it.

Honestly, the show was kind of better earlier on when it was just bonding between the characters. The lines were kind of blurry towards the end where apparently some bad witches were also indiscriminately killing people, and not separate from the nicer witches. Even the supposed good guys who were saying to not hurt civilians were pretty hard on some sort of revenge, and it was all kind of hand waved. As it was, the show was kind of midway between showing magic users as learned people(wizards?), or hermits with specific knowledge (witches?), at least the end differentiated it better with some sort of school. The kind of not black and white thing was good in places, but by the end it just felt kind of a big mix of greys that I could not really understand. Also, the series had them traveling a fair bit for the kingdom, but the last arc had them running around it in a matter of hours.

I do want to talk about some good things. In general I think the show was pretty good with its cliff-hangers, the parts where it finished an episode with turning into an old book and zooming out, it almost always had me wanting for more, as well as kind of aesthetically appealing. That is when it transitioned to the ED, which I found hugely charming with soft music, singing, and animation, which had this sort of lullaby like nostalgia feel that calmed you down, and put a smile on my face. It had the main characters, and was the best part of the show. Not everyone is going to agree with me, but one of my favourite parts in the show was when they did the shopping for Zero, with that creepy shop keeper, the worry about those sorts of things is that it can disempower the female character, but I did not at all feel that from Zero, she simply did nor care and di what she wanted. Similarly I also liked Albus, some may be annoyed at losing their cute boy, but I liked how she as a character was not defined just by some sense of femineity, sure she was kind of in a disguise as a guy, but it did not that much change who she is. She was the same kind of awkward/pure kid who wanted to do the right thing and could get embarrassed, sexuality or appearing delicate girl did not play into her character, and that is as interesting as you could get the reverse for a male character, and without really playing that up.

I will rate it Good (7/10), it has a number of flaws in places, but I liked it enough to say it was worth seeing. I would like to see something a bit more polished next time, if I had to put a wish forward, it might be that I would like a time skip where Albus may be older into her role, with it kind of more filled in. Perhaps I am just saying that because I recently got more into Witcher 3 where the world building is more dense, and I can see the fringes of here, but instead was made a bit too simple. Like that one episode where he spent time at the inn and how his wish to run an inn, I could totally watch that.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3