• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Our Most Anticipated Summer 2017 Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SailorPluto1313

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Am I the only person excited for Saiyuki Reload Blast? Maybe it's because the series is still fresh in my mind as I just watched all the other seasons last year and really enjoyed it.
Can't wait for some more roadtrip bickering and crazy antics Anime hyper
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
SailorPluto1313 wrote:
Am I the only person excited for Saiyuki Reload Blast? Maybe it's because the series is still fresh in my mind as I just watched all the other seasons last year and really enjoyed it.
Can't wait for some more roadtrip bickering and crazy antics Anime hyper

You're not the only one. It's always been one of my favorite series. Though my hype for the new series is diminished some until later when I know the situation with the domestic US release and who they get for the VA cast. The show jumped studios once already and the last studio that had it is gone (Geneon) now from the US market. Maybe Sentai (formerly ADV when they had the show first) gets it or maybe Funimation. I would prefer the original cast with Greg Ayres & David Matranga. Though I would settle for the "Geneon" cast. I just don't want a 3rd new cast to get used to when it eventually releases in the US.
meiam

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
I was moderately interested in ballroom but then I say those freaky giraffe neck and that kill all interest I had.

Otherwise restaurant sounds like a fun isekai show. The reflection seems like it could be good (or a giant dumpster fire). I really don't know what to expect from abyss but it gots my attention. Heard good things about centaur manga but could never get passed the weird first chapter, so maybe this time it'll work.

I ended up dropping literally every show that was 2 cour from this season, so nothing interest me there, time to start fully afresh.
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:08 pm Reply with quote
Is it foolhardy of me to place all my bets on a single horse, or in this case, a single centaur? A similar wager led to middling success back in the winter season, so I'm vaguely inclined to throw my hat into the ring of schoolgoing monsters once again.

Welcome to the Ballroom is a sad casualty of our times, lost as it is amidst a South American rainforest. Casting an under-appreciated competitive art within a shounen mould is precisely the type of dare that would have enjoyed both progressiveness and popularity amongst a wider anime-viewing audience.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Sahmbahdeh

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:14 pm Reply with quote
Beyond continuations of Re:Creators, My Hero Academia and Rage of Bahamut, I'm not actually "excited" by anything that's coming in the Summer season (with the possible exception of The Reflection), although there's plenty that I'm passively interested in and will try at least the first episode.
Asterisk-CGY

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
I am all in with Centaur Worries because it's slice of life monster girls. Been collecting the manga up to now.
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:50 pm Reply with quote
Definitely OwariMonogatari. Though it's sad it will be specials instead of a full season. As long as it gets streamed in the west I'll be happy.

Other than that it's mostly second seasons or continuations. I'm still praying to the anime gods that Netflix in the west doesn't grab Kakegurui, but that looks doubtful. Hajimete No Gal is a fun manga and will be a fun short. Koi to Uso looked good as well, though screw Amazon and their terrible subs.

Honestly I'm more excited to see what surprises me this season. Looking forward to the preview guide for sure!
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:12 pm Reply with quote
For me, my top three that I'm most excited for is The continuation of Re: Creators which was my second best of the Spring Season after Rage of Bahamut Virgin Soul but I think it takes more risks than Virgin Soul so I'm a little more excited to continue watching it.

Made In Abyss at number two if only because it's such an unknown quantity to me and the cute character design combined with the post-apocalyptic storyline appeals to me. At three is Hajimete no Gal for no other reason than I like Gal type characters and I'm a sucker for romance.

Honorable mentions also go to Kakegurui because I am an unrepentant Hayami, Saori fan and I want to see how it looks animated before I read the Manga. New Game Season Two because I liked season one and Umiko is the best girl. Aho Girl because it has Sugita Tomokazu, and Yuuki, Aoi playing off of each other in a comedy so that should be amusing.

Princess Principal simply because I like to support original content. Koi to Uso because the concept is interesting and again I find Dystopian stories interesting as they can sometimes be used for social criticism. Vatican Kiseki Chousakan which is a stab in the dark.

I'm also excited for Saiyuuki Reload Blast, as the first two season were some of the first series I watched when I got back into Anime in in 2010. so the franchise has always had a soft spot in my heart for helping reignite the love I have for the medium of Anime. Als, Son Gokuu is such a loveable dork in that series.

Last edited by Parsifal24 on Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alternative Ice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
I'm excited for Kakegurui, Made in Abyss, Fate/Apocrypha and Owarimonogatari.

Summer is looking pretty good.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
Which is my most anticipated Summer show? Let see...NONE. I would have been kind of excited about Owarimonogatari, but it will not be a traditional one cour show. I plan to watch the New Game series, but I am not really excited. This upcoming season is looking bleak. I hope I don't get depressed.
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Where are Rebecca Silverman's picks?

It doesn't seem like a very strong season for premieres, but that's offset by all the two cour shows that started this season--personally, I'm still keeping up with Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul, Atom: The Beginning, Sakura Quest, Re:Creators, My Hero Academia and even Boruto and Dragon Ball Super, which is a pretty full watch list, without anything new. There's bound to be a few unexpected gems--I'm hoping Castlevania will be good even for viewers unfamiliar with the games. Princess Principal looks intriguing, Cleanliness Boy's promo was genuinely funny, and that Yokai Apartment series promo reminded me of The Morose Mononokean in a good way, so I'm keeping my eye on those.

I was interested in Welcome to the Ballroom, too, especially after reading Natsumi Ando's shojo dancesport manga, [url=http//www.kodanshacomics.com/series/lets-dance-a-waltz-2/] Let's Dance a Waltz[/url], but I was disappointed in its presentation of female dance partners as less than equal members of a team (one character even claims that it is the leader, aka the guy, who determines whether dance partners win or lose) and it's overall depiction of girls. Dance partners are compared to romantic partners, and one character calls a girl a "hussy" for being willing to practice with a boy who isn't her usual competition partner, which has all sorts of negative connotations, even as a joke. I can only hope the show, which is undoubtedly aiming for a female audience, will tone down or even reverse the manga's more sexist tendencies, but I'm less than enthused for it.
Megiddo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 2:32 pm Reply with quote
Kakegurui looks incredibly interesting to me. The voice cast especially is a blast from the (not so) past with Hayami, Sawashiro, and Ise there. Not much else besides a few sequels that jumps out to me.
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
Honestly the biggest thing I'm anticipating with Welcome to the Ballroom is the inevitable "Shut Up and Dance" AMVs.
Lactobacillus yogurti

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
I can't choose only one!

Ballroom e Youkoso is of course the one I've been the most excited about, but Youkai Apato and A Centaur's Life are also series I really want to watch.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 3:48 pm Reply with quote
Agent355 wrote:
I can only hope the show, which is undoubtedly aiming for a female audience, will tone down or even reverse the manga's more sexist tendencies, but I'm less than enthused for it.

I wouldn't say "undoubtedly aiming for a female audience" since most male friends of mine are really excited for it. Neutral It's my top pick of the season, mostly because of the manga. You call it sexist or whatever but please don't blame a manga that is portraying real life. You not liking IRL situations, as sad as they are, should not color your opinion on a piece of entertainment.

PS:You wouldn't be talking about sexist crap if you met Chi-chan. Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4