• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Amazon's Anime Strike Announces Full Summer Lineup, Premiere Dates

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Beansprout Midget

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:13 am Reply with quote
It's nice to know which shows Amazon licensed vs. Sentai. I'm glad for Sentai getting the shows they got, and I completely get why they are streaming them on Amazon. I'm not mad at Sentai. I'm just mad at Amazon (for similar reasons everyone else is)
everapril

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:14 am Reply with quote
I'm like laughing but with confusion. In order to promote their platform's content they're streaming the first episode free on another platform? So they DO realize that exposure to the product, especially early exposure in this medium, is important?

This is just not how a luxury service (at $80+) should be acting at all.
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:17 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
Hopefully their next move is actually caring for their customers? Subs sucks and shows are never there or take weeks to update. I really wonder where this leaves me as a english dub fan. Probably in the *Hahaha we don't care about you* section.
That Amazon has never talked about dubs for their simulcasts does indicate that they have no interest in them. It is even possible that they don't want dubs to be made for the shows they simulcast since they could end up on other video services that compete with Anime Strike.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
One thing I realized earlier this afternoon: neither my Bluray Player (a Sony) nor any of my family's tablets (we own three Fires) are capable of running either the Crunchyroll or the Funimation video apps, but all of them can easily run the Amazon Video app.

That's the price you pay for locking yourself into the Amazon universe by buying a Fire. If you had bought an Android tablet you could use CR and Funi's apps.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
Thank god they didn't get the compulsive gambler anime, thats all i was really worried about.
Magician Yang

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Thank god they didn't get the compulsive gambler anime, thats all i was really worried about.

nope you wont be able to watch that either cause netflix snatched it up like Fate apocryptha, this means we will have to wait 3-6 months before its even legal to watch Evil or Very Mad
Marzan

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:08 pm Reply with quote
What I don't get is why Amazon doesn't offer Anime Strike in Europe. No one is showing those shows in Europe anyway.
Anime licensing is a mess.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:37 pm Reply with quote
As a non-Amazon Prime Canadian, this paragraph from the article intrigued me:

Quote:
In the United States, users must subscribe separately to both the Amazon Prime Video service and its Anime Strike channel to view the streaming titles. For territories outside the United States, only an Amazon Prime Video subscription is required.

For any Canadian AP subscribers out there: is this true? Can you access the Amazon Strike titles through your "basic" AP membership? That would be bizarre (and awesome) if true, but I find it hard to believe. Much more likely is that we in Canada don't get Anime Strike at all, ergo there is no need to pay extra. But if somebody actually knows, please fill me in, tia.
GeorgH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
Marzan wrote:
What I don't get is why Amazon doesn't offer Anime Strike in Europe. No one is showing those shows in Europe anyway.
Anime licensing is a mess.

No One?
- Amazon exklusives should be avaiable on primevideo.com worldwide (but some have weird region-locks, even for countries amazon licensed)
- Sentai's titles are shown on Hidive in UK+IE+NL+Scandi
- other titles may be shown by other french, italian, german or spanish services
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:56 pm Reply with quote
yuna49 wrote:
That's the price you pay for locking yourself into the Amazon universe by buying a Fire. If you had bought an Android tablet you could use CR and Funi's apps.

Yeah, with the limited app library, I basically only use it right now for Twitch and War Room 2 (a player aid for the Warmachine steampunk tabletop miniatures game)... although between the two of them, it was definitely worth the ~40 bucks.
Random Name

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 1:01 pm Reply with quote
BodaciousSpacePirate wrote:
yuna49 wrote:

Yeah, with the limited app library, I basically only use it right now for Twitch and War Room 2 (a player aid for the Warmachine steampunk tabletop miniatures game)... although between the two of them, it was definitely worth the ~40 bucks.
No Fire Emblem Heroes!?!
dragonrider_cody

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:14 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
As a non-Amazon Prime Canadian, this paragraph from the article intrigued me:

Quote:
In the United States, users must subscribe separately to both the Amazon Prime Video service and its Anime Strike channel to view the streaming titles. For territories outside the United States, only an Amazon Prime Video subscription is required.

For any Canadian AP subscribers out there: is this true? Can you access the Amazon Strike titles through your "basic" AP membership? That would be bizarre (and awesome) if true, but I find it hard to believe. Much more likely is that we in Canada don't get Anime Strike at all, ergo there is no need to pay extra. But if somebody actually knows, please fill me in, tia.

I've read multiple posts from Canadian Prime users on Reddit about streaming the shows on Prime, so the answer should be yes. You apparently have to search for the individual title. However, they are apparently slower to update than Strike.
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 2:25 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:

50/50.

I've gotten some shows but not everything. With certain shows, there was a massive delay between the actual airing and when the US service gets it and it showing up on the Canadian service. In my experience that tended to be what happened but I'm not sure if my experience was the same as everybody else's.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:14 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the info, peeps. I can't really see myself ever subscribing (already subscribe to Netflix, Crunchyroll & Funimation) but you never know, I guess. Not having to subscribe to a separate anime channel certainly would make the prospect more attractive.
chaccide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 11:33 pm Reply with quote
The Walmart of anime rears its head. They're already trying to pull the rug out from under the boutique services. I'm keeping my money at Crunchyroll. I'm not going to pay for substandard service any more than I'll go to Walmart to buy the cheapest products which end up being lowest quality, doing this case I'd be paying the most money for the lowest quality. Crunchyroll is giving me everything I enjoy in anime streaming.

I did do a free trial of Strike last season and the Amazon video experience on Android tablets, phones and TV boxes all suck. And that's on top of all the problems that everyone else is complaining about with Strike.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4