• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: KADO - The Right Answer

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Valhern

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2017 3:58 pm Reply with quote
Hah! Thy fool judged Kanata, the crazy scientist girl as an annoying piece of garbage yet she is here literally creating anti-matter while Tsukai had...a very cute looking kiss that she did not deserve. Goddamn Ryo-timo and his excellent handling of a show that went off rails three weeks ago.

Other than that, the factory guys were the best bit of this episode. After the fiasco three episodes ago, the first episode that features them was probably the peak of this show. Also, that bit when Kanata is pulled down by Shindo was hilarious, I checked a few times at first because I thought it was an animation error.

Also, when the Japanese Prime Minister said "It feels like we advanced centuries in a matter of days" I just threw my hands in the air. Like, "B*TCH WHERE?!" I have not seen one goddamn development in 11 episodes other than Kanata inventing stuff sometimes.

Last edited by Valhern on Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
bemused Bohemian

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:05 pm Reply with quote
Take out some of the dead wood that existed in earlier eps this would've been a damn fine show. I enjoyed certain aspects of the series and am glad I didn't drop it like I did with several others this season.

Gotta agree with you, Paul, re rabbit out of the hat scenario. It was interesting to watch but the premise of raising the Answer just in time was really insulting to suffer through as a theoretical informed viewer. I'm not sure which was more fantasy-based in this series: humanity outsmarting the alien or damn government actually expressing concern for the well-being of its citizenry.
Merida

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 3:23 pm Reply with quote
Pfff, so much for the power of negotiation...so it basically came down to zaShunina being mad about Shindou not making super-powered babies with him instead of Tsukai? And humanity being awesome, of course. Rolling Eyes

What a gigantic waste of potential.
wolf10

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
And in the end, the right answer was magical-girl fisticuffs after all. Where's my hat, I need to eat it now. I feel sort of left out with this ending because, as a nihilist, I don't believe in the soul. Oh, well. Sucks to be me.

Also, Shindo's kind of a dick for talking one hopeless male suitor into going into a time bubble for 16 years, all to raise his alien lovechild so she can fight off the other with the power of sexual reproduction. No, the long-term implications of my sexual orientation in regards to the progress of the species were not lost on me, but thanks for the refresher, anime.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
I think I don't understand the point of Shindo sacrificing himself, since Plan B was already afoot. Why was it necessary to make zaShunina believe all their options had failed? Just stall him from taking Shindo away long enough for Yukika to show up. What advantage did his death give them?

As for Yukika, I don't see how she could have any understanding of our universe (or the anisotropic, for that matter) if she's never experienced any of it, having been raised in a bubble with only Hanamori for 16 years. Being human doesn't automatically confer all knowledge about humanity or the universe upon you. Likewise her other half. Even if they gave her books or something, knowing the rules and playing the game are very different.

It's the same problem I had with zaShunina's stated goals of wanting more info, when he clearly hadn't processed all the data available from our universe. Awareness that a thing exists and understanding everything about it are not the same.
chaccide

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:11 pm Reply with quote
Talk about Deus ex machina....
dash56

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 10:25 pm Reply with quote
I guess Shindo is a DBZ fan. Knowing a human/alien hybrid is more powerful he set up his own hyperbolic time chamber for his kid to train under Hanamori who I guess played the part of Piccolo.

All joking aside, this ending makes no sense. Shindo has no way of knowing whether or not his kid will be super powerful. Heck, it's even more unbelievable that she would actually help him seeing as how she was locked away in a prison with only one other person her entire life.

Let's just sweep under the rug how they raised a kid with the sole intention of being a weapon. Parents of the year material right here.
Cave

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
I think I don't understand the point of Shindo sacrificing himself, since Plan B was already afoot.

It's so Shindou and zaShunina could get dead married. :3

Quote:
And in the end, the right answer was magical-girl fisticuffs after all. Where's my hat, I need to eat it now. I feel sort of left out with this ending because, as a nihilist, I don't believe in the soul. Oh, well. Sucks to be me.

Also, Shindo's kind of a dick for talking one hopeless male suitor into going into a time bubble for 16 years, all to raise his alien lovechild so she can fight off the other with the power of sexual reproduction. No, the long-term implications of my sexual orientation in regards to the progress of the species were not lost on me, but thanks for the refresher, anime.

This is so accurate it hurts...
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:16 am Reply with quote
Since I didn't care much I read the review before watching and I just bursted out laughing. This show could not have gone south harder than it did, but then I watched the episode, AND IT DID!

Not going to bother with such a forgettable show to detail how exactly since I've been doing that just three weeks ago. I wouldn't recommend Kado to anyone unless they are interested in CG production (which was my main draw to this and it ended up being my only real hook).
donhumberto

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 11:28 am Reply with quote
Well, what do you know, I not only liked but LOVED the series. Sure, it got a bit anime-y towards the end but it's not very often that we get this kind of mature, well written sci-fi series
If only we got more like these...
Dan42
Chief Encyclopedist

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 12:44 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand the hate. Kado could have been better than 98% of other anime, but instead it stumbled, and wound up "only" better than 90% of anime. And that's supposed to be an abject failure?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Yttrbio
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:10 pm Reply with quote
Yes, because you're wrong about it being better than 90% of anime. It's actually quite easy to understand.

What are the things that set the show apart? And how many of them weren't basically obliterated by the end of the show?
Valhern

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Dan42 wrote:
I don't understand the hate. Kado could have been better than 98% of other anime, but instead it stumbled, and wound up "only" better than 90% of anime. And that's supposed to be an abject failure?

I mean, if you think Kado is better than 90% of other anime, it's fine, but I don't think that's what some are saying here.

If I get strict with the numbers, Kado would be in the last 40 shows of my list, I don't think that it fared well or on the lukewarm side, like I would say of Amagi Brilliant Park or Nobunagun, shows I do like but not incredibly hyper about them. To me Kado is just a plain bad show, and I don't think holding up to a lot other of anime I don't know makes any particular difference to how I feel about it.

Mind you, I don't believe in either failure or success, I don't know if Kado succeeded or not, I don't really care, I just know I didn't like whatever it did, even if a 90% of anime (which is a very vague idea) probably did things worse, I have seen some, but not really all of those.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 1:24 pm Reply with quote
I don't understand how having an aggressively boring and poorly written pretentious first half and a nonsensical , messy trainwreck of a second half that basically bombed every bit of thematic coherency in the story could possibly be "Better than 90% of all anime". I'm usually very generous with my ratings but based on my My Anime tag, Kado doesn't even rank above 6% of all the anime I've watched -and honestly, I might be too generous because I thought the dynamics of zaShunnina's character design were interesting, but otherwise, the more you think about it, the worse the ending gets
hissatsu01

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 3:20 pm Reply with quote
I thought this show was often dry but somewhat interesting for most of its run. Then Magical Girl Pretty Saraka showed up and I thought it jumped the shark. But I was wrong. I don't think I've often rolled my eyes and laughed at things that weren't meant to be funny as much as I did while watching the last episode. I appreciated the "humans are magic" spiel (never heard that one before, no siree), and the "We've secretly replaced zaShunina with a cliché jilted/crazy ex-girlfriend. Let's see if anyone notices." bit was a master stroke. And Hanamori got the job of babysitting for 16 years with no change of clothes, but at least they brought a sailor suit for Yukika to wear, because why not. But the "We're all on our way somewhere" that is presented as some sort of profound revelation made me throw rotten vegetables at the TV. Is there someone that thinks that statement is deeper than a puddle? Sorry I don't have the necessary understanding of the anisotropic to get it.

Oh and I still hate CG people as well.

In the end, I think it was all downhill after the first (zero) episode. And that was about a metal plating factory in danger of going out of business, which wouldn't normally be a high point. All in all, a huge amount of wasted potential.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 8 of 9