• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Yen Press Licenses Silver Spoon, Kemono Friends Manga, Imōto Sae Ireba Ii., Reborn as a Vendin

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:09 pm Reply with quote
Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts? Silver Spoon? Awesome, I though these were never going to get licensed because Viz is lame and I though only Viz could license them. There are some other interesting things too.

Viz had a pathetic panel in comparison to Yen Press, and Viz were supposed to be the really big guys.
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:10 pm Reply with quote
How many people were dead drunk and high on meth when they decided to license that vending machine novel?

Haven't heard of the other ones.
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:13 pm Reply with quote
It really saddens me that novels like the vending machine and stuff like that gets picked up easily but not novels like Amagi Brilliant Park and SaeKano , among others.

Really wish Fujimi Fantasia Bunko would just let Yen license novels from them. It's a kadokawa label ffs so..

Also kinda funny seeing them license the pg13 version of a hentai.
Lord Vaultman

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:15 pm Reply with quote
Baccano huh. So can someone set the story straight for me? Baccano was an original anime that they then did a manga for correct? Or was it a light novel that got an anime adaptation then a manga adaptation?
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:16 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:
Baccano huh. So can someone set the story straight for me? Baccano was an original anime that they then did a manga for correct? Or was it a light novel that got an anime adaptation then a manga adaptation?

Baccano was originally a series of light novels that started in 2003 and is still ongoing in Japan and it has over 20 volumes.
duwanger

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:37 pm Reply with quote
I already bought the Shogakukan Asia English version of Silver Spoon, but it's cool that it's finally coming out in the US. Yen has been all over the map with translation quality lately (especially with their light novels), so hopefully they do a good job with it.

As for the rest of these announcements, a resounding yawn.
Aquamine-Amarine

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Thorfinn wrote:
Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts? Silver Spoon? Awesome, I though these were never going to get licensed because Viz is lame and I though only Viz could license them. There are some other interesting things too.

Viz had a pathetic panel in comparison to Yen Press, and Viz were supposed to be the really big guys.

Yen Press is on fire, constantly licensing stuff you'd think Kodansha Comics or Viz Media would license. Not that I mind, because their quality tends to not be as good as Yen Press. So it's actually a good thing Yen Press got them.
BodaciousSpacePirate
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:39 pm Reply with quote
Lord Vaultman wrote:

It's a long-running light novel series that is set in the same universe as Durarara, and both were successful light novel series before their adaptations.
Animepokegirl89

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:40 pm Reply with quote
Tales of Wedding Rings (Kekkon Yubiwa Monogatari), is great. I'm caught up on Crunchyroll right now. If you're looking for a decent, and fun Action/Harem series, try this one out.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Being the deviant I am I have only seen the doujins of "The Demon Who Became My Sister". I didn't know the author did one without the naughty stuff.
CatSword

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:44 pm Reply with quote
Why'd they go for the Baka and Test manga over the light novels? A little disappointed since I remember reading the first few volumes of the LN scanlated in middle school and liking it enough I'd want the legal copies on my shelf/to continue on with the series.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Mermaid Boys

Mermaid Boys

Mermaid Boys

Mermaid Boys

No, seriously, it's the most amazing thing. Now we just need an anime.
Darkmagick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:54 pm Reply with quote
SILVER SPOON! I didn't think anyone but Viz could get this - I'm so glad Yen Press rescued it! Great going!

I've been enjoying Kimi Shi ni Tamou Koto Nakare, and I've been meaning to check out Tales of Wedding Rings for a while. (I should really take a look on Crunchyroll at some point...) Between those and that Pandora Hearts release...Looks like Yen Press will be getting the contents of my wallet for the foreseeable future...

Last edited by Darkmagick on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:57 pm; edited 2 times in total
Sairin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
Aquamine-Amarine wrote:

Yen Press is on fire, constantly licensing stuff you'd think Kodansha Comics or Viz Media would license. Not that I mind, because their quality tends to not be as good as Yen Press. So it's actually a good thing Yen Press got them.

Yen Press and Seven Seas can now license from Shueisha and Kodansha and this is great. Viz is rarely licensing something more risky -honestly they aren't even licensing popular stuff- and Kodansha is being more risky lately but mostly with digital stuff, which is better than nothing.

I'm really happy about Silver Spoon, and I'm very excited for Tales of Wedding Rings getting a print release since I love Maybe. Sacrificial Princess and the King of Beasts is also a great title I was waiting for. It's weird they didn't get the LN-Manga combo for some of the upcoming anime adaptations (like Knights & Magic).

Edit: I hope some the digital only will get a print release eventually (the horror and survival ones especially).

Last edited by Sairin on Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
brynhild

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 7:56 pm Reply with quote
CatSword wrote:
Why'd they go for the Baka and Test manga over the light novels? A little disappointed since I remember reading the first few volumes of the LN scanlated in middle school and liking it enough I'd want the legal copies on my shelf/to continue on with the series.

Baka & Test, Maoyu, and Tokyo Ravens are part of their digital deal with Bookwalker. That's it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3