• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kinghumanity

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:37 am Reply with quote
Will Kakegurui be covered? I hear it will be released by Netflix only after the season ends.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:39 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:
Will Kakegurui be covered? I hear it will be released by Netflix only after the season ends.

Not weekly at least. It could get a review after it becomes available.
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:29 am Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

zrnzle500 is correct on this.

The same will also apparently apply to Fate/Apocrypha, though if Netflix handles that one like they did Kuromukuro then we'll see a batch release for each half rather than a single one for the whole thing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Someone should legit bomb the Netflix HQ with some sewer dirt for the stuff they keep pulling. <.<
dash56

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:02 pm Reply with quote
I didn't think I was going to like Knight's and Magic but for whatever reason it was a lot of fun.
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
As someone who adore mech I was looking forward to knight and magic, sadly the end results were pretty disappointing. The mech look ok despite being CG but aside from that everything was below average. The pacing was way too fast, to the point where I really gotta ask why even bother, the scene of the MC meeting the twin could have been done away with, in fact the show could have just started in the present and skipped all the backstory. The dialogue were just awful (did the sister even have a single line of dialogue that wasn't about saying the MC was cute?) and the plot in general leave a lot to be desired. Also it really annoyed me how nobody seemed to give a single shit about the coach driver who just got killed, they all forgot he even existed.

Why even bother with the resurrection angle anyway? Would it be so unbelievable that a kid is really into giant robot? If they're going to go that way, why not have the main character be an engineer irl and then use his knowledge of advanced engineering to revolutionize the mech? Also, his voice as an adult didn't fit at all, how did that even make the cut?

I'll give it one more episode, maybe the pacing will fix itself cause they were just trying to rush trough the introduction. But I'm really not impressed.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
kinghumanity wrote:

Where did you hear this? I'm googling and I haven't found any announcements anywhere.
TUSF

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 12:46 pm Reply with quote
They REALLY wanted to get Ernesti's childhood out of the way, for Knight's & Magic. They basically compressed as much of Volume 1 into one episode as they could, so they could get to the main fight of the volume.

But I guess I kinda liked the episode, despite being rushed.
Edl01

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:57 pm Reply with quote
Very solid start to the season so far! Touken Ranbu, Kakegerui and Fate have all had good pilot episodes for vastly different reasons and Symphogear AXZ's start is just as wonderful as the other series'.

I'm not a huge fan of Ufotable's art style, it's technically impressive and I have tons of respect to the digital arts team there, but everything is just too clean and shiny. With that said Ranbu is still an undeniably pretty show, with a solid first episode and a great premise. I see no reason to not stick with it. 4/5

Kakegerui is very stylish, and I don't know how much I like that style yet, but it stands out from the crowd with a fairly fun first episode. Then again maybe this is just me as a Saori Hayami fan being massively biased since she's playing the main girl. I'm not sure if I'll enjoy it, but it certainly has my interest for now. 3.5/5

The debut that's stole the season so far for me though is the first episode of Symphogear AXZ. The franchise is kinda famous now for it's ludicrous first episodes, and season 4 was no different. Even if it doesn't keep this level of HYPE up that doesn't stop this from being one of the most exciting, engaging and fun first episodes I've ever seen. I really hope Crunchyroll announces a simulcast later today. 5/5
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 1:59 pm Reply with quote
I don't mind them rushing through the backstory in Knight's & Magic to get to the real meat of the story. Eru is not my favorite character but I like them well enough, though I agree that their voice doesn't match with their previous age well, though given they only appear that way in one early scene it isn't a huge problem. Orange's CG work on the mechs and beasts is very nice, as usual. I don't know if it will be my favorite of their work, but I don't think this will change my opinion of the director as doing the studio's best work. I didn't get any mecha last season since Netflix picked up ID-0 so I'll definitely be watching.

Aoyama kun is a nice enough comedy so far. I was wondering if it would be a sports show with some comedic relief or a comedy with some sports, and while it seems to be leaning more towards comedy, I don't know it won't occasionally veer into a more straightforward sports show. The animation could be better but if it stays comedic that won't be a huge issue.

Hoping CR shows Symphogear soon if they haven't as of posting.
maximilianjenus

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 2:17 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:

Why even bother with the resurrection angle anyway? Would it be so unbelievable that a kid is really into giant robot? If they're going to go that way, why not have the main character be an engineer irl and then use his knowledge of advanced engineering to revolutionize the mech? Also, his voice as an adult didn't fit at all, how did that even make the cut?

in the isekai genre a common trope is having someone resurrect so they can carry modern world knowledge into the fantasy world; that is why serious stuff like grimgar ahs the characters get amnesia, because a lot of thigns that are simple for us, could really revolutionize the middle ages (like boiling milk before drinking it).

doing what you suggested would just make it a simple OP character series, like mahouka or SAO
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:10 pm Reply with quote
[quote="maximilianjenus"]
meiam wrote:
in the isekai genre a common trope is having someone resurrect so they can carry modern world knowledge into the fantasy world; that is why serious stuff like grimgar ahs the characters get amnesia, because a lot of thigns that are simple for us, could really revolutionize the middle ages (like boiling milk before drinking it).

doing what you suggested would just make it a simple OP character series, like mahouka or SAO

Well no, isekai very rarely, if ever, use there knowledge of advance technology to improve the world they resurrect in, maybe in LN form but as far as anime log horizon is the only one I can think of that brushed on the subject a tiny bit.

Also the character is already OP, except in a way that makes no sense (apparently magic use python or C++ or something cause somehow his programing skill are useful in learning magic).
Key

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 3:40 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Also the character is already OP, except in a way that makes no sense (apparently magic use python or C++ or something cause somehow his programing skill are useful in learning magic).

Imagining a spell as a computer program seems like a quite sensible interpretation for someone who is a programmer by nature, and it falls quite neatly in line with the principle that any sufficiently-advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I've often envisioned advanced mathematics as underlying principles in magic (and in fact, at one point in European history mathematics and magic were practically synonymous), so this doesn't seem like a stretch to me at all.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 4:31 pm Reply with quote
As someone who is not a fan of mecha and has a general disdain for the magic highschool genre, I found knights and magic first episode quite tolerable mainly because it was clear that they are quickly trying to get to the more interesting stuff and not spending to much time on his boring childhood. It didn't blow me out the water by any means but at the very least I'll be checking out the next episode. Still to much exposition dumping tho.

Mad_Scientist wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:

Where did you hear this? I'm googling and I haven't found any announcements anywhere.

Netflix always release their shows after it ends. No announcements necessary.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
It´s hardly exciting season but we have a guaranteed winner and the ultra random Vatican anime has a chance to be interesting. I guess.

Ballroom e Youkoso will most likely be the best show of the year but it will need a high animation budget to work. IG should have that covered and I frankly still can´t believe that such a truly artistic gem is getting adapted and not the ultra-generic dancing manga Jump was putting out. A miracle might have occurred. This is a Shounen manga adaptation btw. but that was the demographic expecting the least when I blindly picked it up. My only "concern" is the 24 ep. count. That should bring it up to date with the (ongoing) manga and i don´t want a gecko ending.

The Reflection The 94 years old Stan Lee has obviously nothing to do with the anime, or anything POW! Entertainment puts his name on, but i love my superheros and the directing genius behind Mushishi is playing second fiddle here. Who knows if the scripts will be good but DEEN may be on the rebound after Shouwa Genroku Rakugo Shinjuu.

Lupin the IIIrd: Chikemuri no Ishikawa Goemon is final getting a home release and Gundam Thunderbolt is chugging along nicely. Eureka Seven is also getting a Gundam movie trilogy style cinematic remix. It like the first show and dislike the "pseudo sequel" but who asked for this?
Last month´s Resident Evil: Vendetta turned out to be pretty fun, despite the brain-dead and off-canon script. A gem by video game adaptation standards and the best RE film to date. Whatever that means...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 2 of 35