• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
K.o.R

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:47 pm Reply with quote
From the name, I thought Clean Freak Aoyama-kun was going to literally be Ultimate Mop Daisuke DX, and was rather disappointed when I read the synopsis. Laughing
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 5:55 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:
Netflix always release their shows after it ends.

That's what I always thought, until this article.
Quote:
[Fate/Apocrypha] will begin exclusively streaming on Netflix on July 3.

Is this wrong or have they finally come to their senses?
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 6:08 pm Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:
Netflix always release their shows after it ends.

That's what I always thought, until this article.
Quote:
[Fate/Apocrypha] will begin exclusively streaming on Netflix on July 3.

Is this wrong or have they finally come to their senses?

Unless we are in for a surprise, that last quote should be qualified "in Japan"
maxwell3094

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:38 pm Reply with quote
If I'm not mistaken Netflix actually has been streaming all of their shows in Japan as they air. The delayed release nonsense has only been a thing they do for streaming outside of Japan. Or well only a thing they do for America at least. Don't know if they do that for everywhere outside Japan or only specific places.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:47 pm Reply with quote
Maybe this low impression of Chinese shows is a case of cultural language barrier: people used to Japanese productions become uncomfortable with Chinese stuff which is naturally different since its another culture. They just copy a bit the typical visual style in Japanese productions.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:28 pm Reply with quote
ultimatehaki wrote:

Mad_Scientist wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:
Will Kakegurui be covered? I hear it will be released by Netflix only after the season ends.

Where did you hear this? I'm googling and I haven't found any announcements anywhere.

Netflix always release their shows after it ends. No announcements necessary.

I understand they release their shows after they end, but usually at least somewhere there's an official confirmation that they have the show. I haven't even been able to find THAT for Kakegurui, though everyone I see is talking like it's been confirmed that it's on Netflix, so I guess I must just be incredibly bad at googling today.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:42 pm Reply with quote
Hmm, I went in expecting to love Aoyama-kun, but it kinda left me flat, the exAbitionist and Shin-chan wanabe notwithstanding. Izumida's pec-love in YowaPeda did it better. I'm not sure why all the girls are swooning over Aoyama the way they do. Are they fantasizing letting him do all the housework for them? Also the cleaning obsession was more fun in Shounen Maid, since Aoyama doesn't seem to enjoy his cleaning, which is sad. I'm sure I'll watch more to see if it picks up, but I'm not excited about it.

I actually enjoyed Knight's & Magic. I'm not sure why the reviewers were so flustered by the reincarnation. Setting aside your belief or disbelief in it, children who claim to be reincarnated don't present as small adults, they just have some random memories from past lives they ought not to have, and behave like the kids they are, just like Ernesti. The only part that beggared belief was that he seemed to have no idea that his father piloted a mech or that mechs even existed until that moment.

I felt like I learned enough about him and his friends and their world to move on to the next phase of the story. His wide-eyed enthusiasm and his backing his friends without hesitation were sufficient to endear me to him without needing several episodes of characterization. So yeah, it's not a ground-breaking series or anything, but it doesn't seem to be aiming that high, and so far I think it hit the mark it had in its sights.

Btw, while they're not making new mechs (because they apparently don't know how to backwards-engineer things), the pilots have customized them, so Ernesti isn't the first person ever to think of it. He just has fresher ideas of the possibilities because he hasn't been taught they're impossible.
AksaraKishou

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:44 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
ultimatehaki wrote:

Mad_Scientist wrote:
kinghumanity wrote:
Will Kakegurui be covered? I hear it will be released by Netflix only after the season ends.

Where did you hear this? I'm googling and I haven't found any announcements anywhere.

Netflix always release their shows after it ends. No announcements necessary.

I understand they release their shows after they end, but usually at least somewhere there's an official confirmation that they have the show. I haven't even been able to find THAT for Kakegurui, though everyone I see is talking like it's been confirmed that it's on Netflix, so I guess I must just be incredibly bad at googling today.

[url]anime#19102
[/url]

Look at the part where it says "Japanese companies" and then at the bottom, where it says "Internet Streaming"
meiam

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:
Also the character is already OP, except in a way that makes no sense (apparently magic use python or C++ or something cause somehow his programing skill are useful in learning magic).

Imagining a spell as a computer program seems like a quite sensible interpretation for someone who is a programmer by nature, and it falls quite neatly in line with the principle that any sufficiently-advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I've often envisioned advanced mathematics as underlying principles in magic (and in fact, at one point in European history mathematics and magic were practically synonymous), so this doesn't seem like a stretch to me at all.

Just seems to me like everything transferable from programming to magic are fairly obvious stuff that one can pick up in a day (you can write a few line of code and give them a "name" to have them be used later in the "formula", things happen in order and such) while the stuff that's non transferable is the hard one (the actual language and syntax), plus they constantly referred to people amount of mana, which is definitely not transferable.

Just seems to me like knowing programing would be about has useful as knowing how human make sounds is to learning a new languages. Anyway my point was more that the focus was supposed to be on the mech, yet they picked a skill that was useful at magic, which is only tangentially related to mech.
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:28 pm Reply with quote
AksaraKishou wrote:

[url]anime#19102
[/url]

Look at the part where it says "Japanese companies" and then at the bottom, where it says "Internet Streaming"

Ah, thanks. Looking up the encyclopedia source it seems so far it's just been confirmed as Netflix for Japan, but I suspect that probably means it will be in the US too, especially since no one else has announced it yet.
Daolong

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 11:13 pm Reply with quote
meiam wrote:
Key wrote:
meiam wrote:
Also the character is already OP, except in a way that makes no sense (apparently magic use python or C++ or something cause somehow his programing skill are useful in learning magic).

Imagining a spell as a computer program seems like a quite sensible interpretation for someone who is a programmer by nature, and it falls quite neatly in line with the principle that any sufficiently-advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic. I've often envisioned advanced mathematics as underlying principles in magic (and in fact, at one point in European history mathematics and magic were practically synonymous), so this doesn't seem like a stretch to me at all.

Just seems to me like everything transferable from programming to magic are fairly obvious stuff that one can pick up in a day (you can write a few line of code and give them a "name" to have them be used later in the "formula", things happen in order and such) while the stuff that's non transferable is the hard one (the actual language and syntax), plus they constantly referred to people amount of mana, which is definitely not transferable.

Just seems to me like knowing programing would be about has useful as knowing how human make sounds is to learning a new languages. Anyway my point was more that the focus was supposed to be on the mech, yet they picked a skill that was useful at magic, which is only tangentially related to mech.

Um, the easiest part of coding is learning the language and syntax. Any hack can write a for loop and call a method. Manipulating complex data structures and efficiently organizing and designing software systems are much more difficult, and that's the part that would translate to a theoretical magic system.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 1:14 am Reply with quote
I'm disappointed Knight's & Magic continues the trend of rushing through source material instead of letting the show breath. This honestly should've been two episodes, the growing up in school and then the trip. In fact, cut the whole being a programmer bit and let Ernie be a child prodigy. I'll take my traps Mozart, please. Laughing

Otherwise, enjoyable. The characters are instantly likable and clear-cut, the world is interesting, and the tone is a good balance of light-hearted adventure and high-stakes drama. If future episodes learn the word "atmosphere", I might stick with it.
garrisonaw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
First of all, someone find me the grammar teacher of the person who came up with the title of this show. I need to have Words with them. That pesky misplaced apostrophe actually turned out to be an indicator of the way this episode left me feeling – it just doesn't quite work.

Quote:
The rogue apostrophe in the title of Knight's & Magic annoys me. I just needed to get that off my chest before saying anything coherent about the story.

After reading the reviews, I'm glad I'm not the only one annoyed by the apostrophe in the title. I really had hoped it was just a typo on ANN's part, but I guess not. Maybe the series will correct its mistake for future episodes, but I'm not counting on it. I suppose it's possible that it's intended to be there (as opposed to being placed there out of ignorance), but if that's the case, they really should explain their reasoning.

Frankly, I will admit to being enough of a pedantic grammarian that that one apostrophe alone - in light of the mediocre reviews - will be enough to keep me from watching this series at all, unless the reviews for later episodes indicate that the anime is turning out to be really good, instead of the "meh" vibe I'm getting right now.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:47 am Reply with quote
Gina Szanboti wrote:
The only part that beggared belief was that he seemed to have no idea that his father piloted a mech or that mechs even existed until that moment.

Remember that in this world they are not called by the word mecha, robot and possibly not even machine since they work by arcane magic that is a state secret. So even if her mother babbled all day about the exploits of Silhouette Knights, it is hard to make the connection until you see one (and you can't bet papa does not park his mecha outside the house just the same you do not see any tanks parked in your neighbourhood).
Agent355

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 8:15 am Reply with quote
I wanted to like Fox Spirit Matchmaker. I came away thinking it's cute, has potential, and was overstuffed with plot and characters. To its credit, I felt that it explained Haku Gessho's jerky tendencies very well. From the bits of background we got, it seems he grew up sheltered and stuck in his family/clan's home (compound?) like a prisoner, beaten up whenever he tried to leave, and being told that he didn't have agency to make his own choices, to the point that even his marriage was arranged. So he ran away and stole some kind of magic stone that he believed would make someone else fall in love with him--if he could get another woman to agree to marry him before his arranged marriage went through, at least his family wouldn't have control over that. Money represents freedom for a teenaged runaway, and his obsession with candy (which I thought was kind of funny) is probably because he was never allowed to have any. Most of the stuff he was doing read as a teen trying to pass himself off as an adult in order to get out from under his oppressive family's thumb (notice how he pretended to be 30 to get on the dating show). From his family's perspective, he has super powerful spiritual powers that he doesn't use responsibly, and he needs to stick to their arranged marriage plan for political reasons. It all made sense.

I really wanted Aoyama-kun to be funnier.
Gina Szanboti wrote:
Also the cleaning obsession was more fun in Shounen Maid, since Aoyama doesn't seem to enjoy his cleaning, which is sad. I'm sure I'll watch more to see if it picks up, but I'm not excited about it.

I picked up on that, and it's a pretty realistic depiction of OCD. Most people who suffer from OCD symptoms don't enjoy their compulsions, they just feel they *have* to do certain things--*OR ELSE!* (I've been there personally). It's not fun or funny, and I was actually impressed that the coach acknowledged this and told Zenzai that Aoyama was struggling, limited by a cage.
But the show on a whole wasn't nearly as funny as I was hoping, and I doubt it will have a plot about Aoyama going to a therapist or trying anti-anxiety meds...

Gina Szanboti wrote:
I actually enjoyed Knight's & Magic. I'm not sure why the reviewers were so flustered by the reincarnation. Setting aside your belief or disbelief in it, children who claim to be reincarnated don't present as small adults, they just have some random memories from past lives they ought not to have, and behave like the kids they are, just like Ernesti.

That's true, but it's not the norm in isekai anime. Haven't seen the episode yet, but this comment has peaked my interest.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 35