• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: FLCL 2&3 Trailer Reveals More Staff, 2018 Premiere

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Animechic420

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:41 pm Reply with quote
Judging by the lack of Naota, I take it he won't be in this seasons? It's okay if he's not. Anime catgrin
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:43 pm Reply with quote
OutlawGundam wrote:
I am curious that it was specifically stated that season 3 will be a brand new story just like how season 2 is a new story following up the events from 1. FLCL season 1 focused on middle schooler Naota, and season 2 is about high schooler Hidomi. So that leads me to think season 3 will follow a college/adult aged character. Just a theory.

Yeah I could see this.
luffypirate

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 8:59 pm Reply with quote
This reminds me of when I was younger. I can't quite remember exactly when but I must have watched FLCL for the first time shortly after it was released in Japan (summer of 2001 maybe??) I was 16 years old heading into my junior year of high school. I don't know if this new series will capture what the first one had... it's hard to describe but there was just something so magical about watching it at that age. It could have been that I was rather new to anime at that time... haha who knows! Anyway, I'll be checking this one out in 2018 and hoping for the best.
ofpveteran73

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:08 pm Reply with quote
They revealed more staff on their website (-;
http://flcl-anime.com/#staff
theNightster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
Ah such a classic coming back to us
Chrono1000

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:22 pm Reply with quote
I like the look of the trailer so I hope it turns out well. The original series certainly had a lot of energy but it would be nice to have a somewhat more coherent story this time.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 9:58 pm Reply with quote
chronos02 wrote:
From the comments it seems I'm the only one who thinks FLCL ended too open in terms of its backstory, nothing is solved about who or what Haruko is, nor the King of Pirates, just that MM are the bad guys that like to flatten planets, and most important of all, why guitars? I do understand that Naotakun's story somewhat concludes in a sort of "teen" ending, but that's that.

I think many would argue that most of those details weren't really important in the grand scheme of things. Beneath all the crazy animation and fantastic music and ridiculous scenarios, FLCL was really just a simple story about how mixed-up adolescence can be. It was your standard coming-of-age tale, complete with robots flying out of people's heads, flying Vespas, guitars, giant irons, and killer baseball asteroids. You know, the usual. Very Happy
Alexis.Anagram

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:10 pm Reply with quote
I was pretty skeptical about the need for more FLCL, but I've come around to the line of thinking that I can lord this over the heads of all the people I know who were super excited about Twin Peaks as my geeky and weird and inexplicable cult icon revival. Plus you just can't keep me away from The Pillows.
CornBreadMan264

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:26 pm Reply with quote
I hope they keep the original English cast for the returning characters!
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
Launch time!
animefan1238

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2017 10:54 pm Reply with quote
KH91 wrote:
I have not been won over yet. Still conflicted about how I feel about this. Looked good visually, but the story is what matters.

The first FLCL had a story? LoL.
DangerMouse

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:56 am Reply with quote
The editing of the trailer and the way the credits come up and having The Pillows music felt so right.
I also smiled at the "spider sense" line in the song Very Happy

That shot of the new lead in front of that eye somehow felt perfect.

As a new-ish director this Katsuyuki Motohiro's quickly racking up some of my favorites (with Tsurumaki supervising and the direct episode directors) if this manages to face the challenges and delivers as hoped, with him also doing Psycho-Pass (season 1 and the movie) and Atom the Beginning.

cornbreadman264 wrote:
I hope they keep the original English cast for the returning characters!

This. We need all those voices back for any returning characters.

Kari for example, better be back as Haruko.
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:30 am Reply with quote
I still don´t understand why this project is a 2nd season but the trailers speaks for itself. I hope that the show goes as high concept as it can, with the even longer in "development" Twin Peaks S03 being a great example of just shattering any expectations or preconceived notions. Don´t play it safe IG.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 11:22 am Reply with quote
I'm happy they are still using the same art style, and that cut of that car was so cool, even though this isn't Ganiax that bit had Gainax written all over it.
animefan1238 wrote:
KH91 wrote:
I have not been won over yet. Still conflicted about how I feel about this. Looked good visually, but the story is what matters.

The first FLCL had a story? LoL.
I would say the story was more a means of creating scenes to showcase some new animation techniques. I know there was a story but it wasn't very important.
Zeino

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
I... don't know how to react to this. The original always felt like a "lightning in a bottle" type show to me. It was a nonsensical mess of fun made a bunch of people winding down after working on something dark and depressing. The idea of getting more of it fills me with both excitement and dread. Based on what we can see, I'm hoping we're getting a female perspective on the same arc, trying to figure out what maturing means and dealing with everyone peddling different dysfunctional versions of adulthood, as filtered through insane nonsense and the kind of overblown sensation that your hormones can convince you you're in the middle of.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3