• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Granblue Fantasy Anime Gets Unaired 'Extra' Episode in 7th Home Video Volume

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 1:25 pm Reply with quote
Sadly, the extra episode with the FC was way more fun then the entire rest of the show. I have no idea why they went with Gran when Djeeta is far more beloved. Also, he being OP was funny as hell.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 5:43 pm Reply with quote
please be an episode with alt world vyrn

darkdeath174

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2017 6:44 pm Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
Sadly, the extra episode with the FC was way more fun then the entire rest of the show. I have no idea why they went with Gran when Djeeta is far more beloved. Also, he being OP was funny as hell.

The episode was meant to be 100% fan service for those who play the game. Nothing would be different if Djeeta was the MC, it would be nearly the same story, but minus the possible romance building between Lyria and the MC. So I don't know why people are using the extra that is meant to be great, as "See Djeeta would make the show better" point. The episode would have been just great if Gran was the one doing the stuff that happened in this episode.

Also, Djeeta is not far more beloved, it's nearly a 50/50 split as to who people like. Djeeta fans are just louder, as they play for her, but people(like me) who play as Gran, we play for the other girls.

harminia wrote:

Hmm, I wonder if they'd do a Grand Blues episode. Boy people would have been super lost if that was something they aired.
manapear

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 12:28 am Reply with quote
I'm going to pre-order, and really hope it's another episode like the first extra.

It's disappointing that they didn't do some kind of split format or try to fit Djeeta in more, but the extra made up for it a little bit. I hope the next extra features the Dragon Knights or other characters more.

Also, I feel like Djeeta would have made a smarter choice for the lead. In general, there's already plenty of shows with a male lead, especially as far as fantasy goes. (What isn't at this point, lol.) But Djeeta is also becoming more recognizable I think. With all of the merchandising the series is getting, she may as well have been the lead of the show.

But I do like the jokes that she couldn't be the lead because she's hyper-competent. Gran is skilled, and I love how they handled him, but Djeeta did come off as more competent. (Which isn't a bad thing at all.)

Last edited by manapear on Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:29 am; edited 1 time in total
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
Haven't watched this series, but these "extra" episodes tend to be fan service-heavy. Is the main series fairly high in fan service or scantily-clad women? That would be the main reason for me to watch this.
manapear

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2017 11:26 am Reply with quote
Kadmos1 wrote:
Haven't watched this series, but these "extra" episodes tend to be fan service-heavy. Is the main series fairly high in fan service or scantily-clad women? That would be the main reason for me to watch this.

Not at all. There is one scantily clad lady, but she isn't a main character and the show doesn't try to focus on how sexy she is. There's also a mature, sexy type lady, but again, she isn't treated (purely) as an object of fanservice.

It's true the extra episode is more fanservice-focused, but it's also more comedic and really follows the tone and direction of the games better, is all. Kind of a shame the whole show didn't go this direction (or feature the female lead), but if you're interested in fanservice, this show isn't delivering a lot.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1