• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: anohana's Mari Okada Debuts as Director With Sayonara no Asa ni Yakusoku no Hana o Kazarou Ani

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nagpo

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:56 pm Reply with quote
I'm honestly surprised Mari Okada gets work. I've disliked every single thing she's done.
wastrel

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
P.A. Works + "Kazuki Higashiji is art director" = it will be beautiful.
harminia

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:38 pm Reply with quote
Oooh I love Akihiko Yoshida's art... Cool to see it animated, it's certainly different.
Looks like it'll be very pretty.
Kon'Doriano

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2017 11:45 pm Reply with quote
Never been a fan of Okada's work, but the imagery I've seen from the PV fascinates me. I'll give her one last shot with this film.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:03 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Akihiko Yoshida

I'm sold! I'm very interested in how this'll turn out.
NormanS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
Mari okada... I've enjoyed some of her work like True Tears, and Nagi no asukara. But most of her work tend to be very dramatic especially with character relationships and have lots of love triangles. Im hoping its not like M3 since this one looks very pretty.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 12:20 am Reply with quote
Never thought I would see Mari Okada doing direction. They definitely needed someone more experienced in the position, and specifically the visual portion of direction, to assist Okada like the chief director. It looks good, so if it becomes available over here, I'll check it out.
joe_g7

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 1:32 am Reply with quote
I liked the PV, it looks really good.
Dylan21

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:03 am Reply with quote
Mari Okada x P.A. Works again, was hoping for this. Excellent staff and interested in seeing her directing as well due to loving her scripts with Toradora, AnoHana, Kiznaiver, NagiAsu, True Tears and Hanasaku Iroha. Excited for another amazing drama for her. Visually it's extremely beautiful with great music going by the trailer.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 2:06 am Reply with quote
What is it about Okada-san that makes her screenwriting so appealing? I enjoyed "Kiznaiver" and "Mayoiga" but still wonder what makes her so popular.
ScruffyKiwi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 3:00 am Reply with quote
nagpo wrote:
I'm honestly surprised Mari Okada gets work. I've disliked every single thing she's done.

Because generally her work sells. Full stop. The end. You liking it is irrelivant.
relyat08

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 4:20 am Reply with quote
Definitely curious about how this'll go. You see directors and animators going into writing fairly often, I suppose. But hardly ever the other way around, given that directing usually requires some level of familiarity with the actual visual production process and having an eye for visual direction to begin with. It'll be interesting to see how much of a hand she actually ends up having as far as the direction goes. My expectations are sort of middling until I've seen more.

Kadmos1 wrote:
What is it about Okada-san that makes her screenwriting so appealing? I enjoyed "Kiznaiver" and "Mayoiga" but still wonder what makes her so popular.

It's pretty thoroughly expressed in all of her interviews, and even in marketing blurbs now, but as they say, the way she writes "human drama" is really appealing to a lot of people. For me, I'm generally more amicable than a lot of western critics seem to be, but it does come across as a little over-wrought at times. Hanasaku Iroha nailed exactly what I think is the perfect balance, personally.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:47 am Reply with quote
I'm a big fan of Mari Okada so I'll be looking out for this one with interest.
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:55 am Reply with quote
The entire cast in this so far seems pretty amazing. P.A. Works is throwing some of the best into this. Cannot wait.

edit: and Kenji Kawai?!?! Niiice
anton.barbieri

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 5:31 pm Reply with quote
You know, I feel that this film will be one of my faves of all time... It's just a strange feeling that I have with it, something I get with it's image here that feels just like what I experienced with When Marnie Was There, back in 2014... And it turned out to be my fave film of all time.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2