• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Partners With NBCUniversal Entertainment Japan to Co-Develop Anime

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Thorfinn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:38 am Reply with quote
Looking at the list of shows that NBC is involved with, I can't say I'm impressed. Let's see if any good anime comes out of this, but I won't get my hopes up.
Blankslate

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:51 am Reply with quote
This was pretty much inevitable since Funimation seemed to get the rights to every Universal-produced anime (Arslan, Rage of Bahamut: Genesis, Seraph of the End, Drifters, etc.). That's probably due to the fact that Funimation is partnered with Universal to handle disk distribution (and their COO used to be the senior vice president of Universal Studios Home Entertainment).

I can also see Funiroll partnering with Toho since they seem to have strong ties to them, with things like Shin Godzilla, MHA, BBB, Grimgar, Orange, Sakura Quest, etc.
LilacSkyAtDawn

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
The thing is, I'm interested in anime because it's anime, with all the weirdness and immaturity and fetish appeal that it incorporates. I don't want it to have more 'international appeal,' because 'international appeal' generally equates to 'appeals to Americans/Western Europeans,' which I'm not. For example, I never did like Avatar, Bakugan Battle Brawlers or Castlevania. Like there aren't enough US movies, TV shows and cartoons flooding the TV, the web and our stores as is. I don't want the Japanese artists' efforts to go into making even more stuff for the western market just because it pays better. But then again, I suppose it's better for the artists themselves, so that's just my selfishness talking.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Not too surprising. There was already interest and involvement from both CR and Funi regarding production committees, plus this is a way to get rights to shows without needing to get into a bidding war with Amazon.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:11 am Reply with quote
No more Light Novel adaptations would be a good starting point, in particular if you're going for a worldwide audience.

Other things to try:
Conclusions
Series longer than 12 episodes
Adapting more non Japanese intellectual properties. Just as an example: While the Game of Thrones is very big on TV in the US, I'd love to see an anime adaptation of its fellow fantasy series the Wheel of Time... pretty much the only medium that could do it right, honestly. Blood, guts, nudity, harems, a magical girls school that's chock full of yuri, the Seanchan are armored like samurais, there's a character based on the Monkey King... I think the only thing missing are giant robots.

Though I still think there was one in there at some point. It had everything else...

Anything else...
More genres. When was the last time we had an anime western? A pure suspense series? A fantasy series that's not post ironic or lazy, that is, a "fantasy video game because we know fantasy isn't real, wink" or "known human going into unknown world so we solve the exposition problem"? Good horror?

We've had Marvel anime. How about an anime Green Lantern? Superman, Wonder Woman or, sigh, that Batman fellow?
Or bring everything full circle: Anime Disney. I have no idea what an anime Donald Duck and Uncle Scrooge would look or move like but a 12 episode anime adaptation of Carl Barks stories? An anime version of Lost in the Andes or the 24 Carat Moon? "Ducktales? More like Duck, uh, stale." Wow, that's an anagram, did not think that one through....

Otherwise, if it's none of this, it'd just be more more of the same, things we get without the influence of outside producers anyway.
Stuart Smith

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:21 am Reply with quote
LilacSkyAtDawn wrote:
The thing is, I'm interested in anime because it's anime, with all the weirdness and immaturity and fetish appeal that it incorporates. I don't want it to have more 'international appeal,' because 'international appeal' generally equates to 'appeals to Americans/Western Europeans,' which I'm not. For example, I never did like Avatar, Bakugan Battle Brawlers or Castlevania. Like there aren't enough US movies, TV shows and cartoons flooding the TV, the web and our stores as is. I don't want the Japanese artists' efforts to go into making even more stuff for the western market just because it pays better. But then again, I suppose it's better for the artists themselves, so that's just my selfishness talking.

Bakugan, the first series at least, was Japanese. English dub was heavily altered and censored and everything. Maybe you're thinking of Monsuno which was western.

Otherwise, I agree for the most part. Generally when 'international appeal' gets thrown around the show ends up doing even worse than usual. Although some people have odd definitions on what 'international appea!' means.

-Stuart Smith
Lynx Amali

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:32 am Reply with quote
Stuart Smith wrote:

Bakugan, the first series at least, was Japanese. English dub was heavily altered and censored and everything.

It was a Canadian-Japanese co production from Day One. It just premeired in Japan first by a couple months. If I remember right, Spin Master's based in Toronto. Nothing in the show was censored in the traditonal sense like how it happens with Digimon, YuGiOh and Pokemon in that regard. Otherwise, Julie's outfit would've gotten taken to the censor board, midrift and all. It was a lot like Spider Riders on that regard, maybe Pretty Cure's dub too (outside of name changes)
Gewürtztraminer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 9:57 am Reply with quote
Does anyone else think Stephen King's Dark Tower series would work well as an animated series?
It does have just about everything in it, and could easily span 24 episodes (or more).
All the books in the series would seem to be a better fit for animation than any other visual medium.

Fund it!
Actar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:01 am Reply with quote
LilacSkyAtDawn wrote:

Urgh. Tell me about it.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
I see this as a positive thing. Hopefully those co-productions are worth it.

Greed1914 wrote:
plus this is a way to get rights to shows without needing to get into a bidding war with Amazon.

I think the same.
Ermat_46

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:23 am Reply with quote
I think this is just similar to the Crunchyroll-Kadokawa deal last time.

LilacSkyAtDawn wrote:

I don't think you understood the article well. This is similar to CR-Kadokawa deal. Pretty sure the shows that came up with that deal is your typical anime.

Kougeru wrote:
Quote:
aiming for "international appeal."
This never ends up well. As others have said, we like anime BECAUSE it's anime, BECAUSE it's different. It doesn't need "international appeal". Hopefully this doesn't end up being trash like most the stuff CR touches.

Pretty sure the reason why CR gets all the trash is that Amazon and Netflix end up outbidding CR for the majority of the season.

Last edited by Ermat_46 on Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:45 am; edited 2 times in total
Kougeru

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Quote:
aiming for "international appeal."
This never ends up well. As others have said, we like anime BECAUSE it's anime, BECAUSE it's different. It doesn't need "international appeal". Hopefully this doesn't end up being trash like most the stuff CR touches.
Dark Mac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
International appeal just means stuff that people in the West like, not necessarily series based on Western properties. For example, shounen/action anime are often really popular in the West - relatively moreso than they are in Japan a lot of the time. CR knows what shows get high viewer numbers on their service, so they'll be trying to invest in similar shows.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:03 am Reply with quote
When Universal Pictures was founded as the Universal Film Manufacturing Company on 4/30/1912, 9 guys founded the company. However, Carl Laemmle* (1/17/1867-9/24/1939) is often considered the main architect/brain child of the company. This man discovered Florence Lawrence (1/2/1886-12/28/1938), who is widely considered the 1st movie star to be publicly credited/named. This was also before the 1st Hollywood movie debut. For the record, the film "In Old California" is considered the first Hollywood-filmed movie.

Going with this, it would be nice to see anime where there are nods to such people.

*Carl was born in the S. German state of Baden Württemberg (Stuttgar is the biggest city there) in a city called Laupheim. It is about 12.43 miles south of Ulm, the birthplace of Albert Einstein. Heck, both were friends and German Jews.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 11:47 am Reply with quote
This could be an opportunity to get american comics (outside the marvel/dc duopoly) to get an anime adaption, like Witchblade got some time ago. Empowered (by Adam Warren) would be perfect, he is an author with heavy anime/manga influences, superheroes are popular atm and the story shows us the inner politics of a supers organization.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4