• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Russian Court Reduces Sentence In Pokémon Go Case

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
WeNTuS

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:44 am Reply with quote
It's kinda fake news. He wasn't sentenced for playing Pokemon Go he was sentenced for mocking religion in background of the video in which he played Pokemon Go. Pokemon Go has nothing to do with this case at all.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 9:37 am Reply with quote
WeNTuS wrote:
It's kinda fake news. He wasn't sentenced for playing Pokemon Go he was sentenced for mocking religion in background of the video in which he played Pokemon Go. Pokemon Go has nothing to do with this case at all.

That's still dumb to sentence for something like this butthurt religious people ! This case is another prime exemple that all religions is something for cavemen ! We are in the 21st Century not during the Inquisition jeez.
Nuky93

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:05 am Reply with quote
I agree that religion often brings out the worst in people and more often destroys people's lives than 'enlighten' them.

Not always of course, but yeah, too often.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 12:53 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
WeNTuS wrote:

That's still dumb to sentence for something like this butthurt religious people ! This case is another prime exemple that all religions is something for cavemen ! We are in the 21st Century not during the Inquisition jeez.

If he did it in a public space, I would agree. However, he did it within the church itself, which is arguably violation of the freedom to practice whatever religion you want. It would be like holding a "God hates Islam" picket sign inside of a mosque.
Guile

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Not all countries have freedom of religion, or freedom of speech. Most don't.
AkaRed

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 2:49 pm Reply with quote
encrypted12345 wrote:
AkaRed wrote:
WeNTuS wrote:

If he did it in a public space, I would agree. However, he did it within the church itself, which is arguably violation of the freedom to practice whatever religion you want. It would be like holding a "God hates Islam" picket sign inside of a mosque.

Well where I live (Which is France country of Charlie Hebdo) we don't prosecute you for this, you will be just seeing for some as douch and for other as genius.
Seishin Jinrou

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 4:23 pm Reply with quote
When the state you live in officially endorses/enfranchises a religion, "insulting" that religion is a form of valid political protest/speech. It's disgusting what the Russian government is doing to this young blogger.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 8:03 pm Reply with quote
I always thought it was irresponsible of the Pokemon Go makers not to exclude religious sites. Sure it would have taken a lot of work to do, but it was still irresponsible of them not to do it.

There is also a certain etiquette required in church. You're free to leave and go play elsewhere, but if you're going to be there you should respect your environment and the people in it.
partially

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2017 10:15 pm Reply with quote
AkaRed wrote:
Well where I live (Which is France country of Charlie Hebdo) we don't prosecute you for this, you will be just seeing for some as douch and for other as genius.

It continues to amaze me just how much many just assume things.

Generally most western countries including France have laws protecting people's rights to feel safe as long as they follow the law. Intruding on a private space to promote your own personal views is not the same as public protesting. You can be prosecuted simply for that act.

Furthermore what you say and do may constitute hate speech which France as well as many other countries has laws against. Which seems to be what has happened here. And yes you can be imprisoned for it.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hate_speech_laws_in_France

You will notice the part about the Hebdo case that you already brought up. The reason Hebdo was not prosecuted was because the court judged "that the cartoons targeted only terrorists or fundamentalists—not the whole Muslim community."
eekin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 6:35 am Reply with quote
WeNTuS wrote:

Does fake news just mean misreading the article? I know when this first came out they ignored the youtue video. But they've updated their story since.

Quote:
The Russian Orthodox Church reportedly said the alleged provocative nature of the video led to Sokolovsky's prosecution rather than the act of playing Pokémon Go.

He also posted the video with him playing Pokemon Go, using it as an excuse to be near the church. So, Pokemon Go had "something" to do with the case.

AkaRed wrote:

Quote:

The U.K. human rights group Amnesty International previously responded to the conviction, saying "Russian authorities have blatantly misused the criminal justice system, including draconian anti-extremist legislation,

I think people should be free to practice as they wish without fear of not-so-nice-people. The rules are in place to protect against hate groups and terrorist organizations. We don't have the video so no one else can judge his content so no one can be sure what was said. Given he doesn't seem tied to any such group it seems more like bullying.

writerpatrick wrote:
I always thought it was irresponsible of the Pokemon Go makers not to exclude religious sites. Sure it would have taken a lot of work to do, but it was still irresponsible of them not to do it.

There is also a certain etiquette required in church. You're free to leave and go play elsewhere, but if you're going to be there you should respect your environment and the people in it.

Every church i've interacted with I could do so from across the street. iIf a pokemon appeared near it I could still activate it from the map. I never need to go near/inside one(thankfully). Using PokeGo was a weak excuse.
Guile

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2017 8:47 am Reply with quote
#844432 wrote:

Quote:

The U.K. human rights group Amnesty International previously responded to the conviction, saying "Russian authorities have blatantly misused the criminal justice system, including draconian anti-extremist legislation,

I think people should be free to practice as they wish without fear of not-so-nice-people. The rules are in place to protect against hate groups and terrorist organizations. We don't have the video so no one else can judge his content so no one can be sure what was said. Given he doesn't seem tied to any such group it seems more like bullying.

The UK regularly arrests citizens for criticizing Islam in their own home, for them to condemn this case seems awfully hypocritical unless one religion is more sacred than another in their eyes.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2017 2:08 am Reply with quote
The way this court is acting is the type of trampling on free speech their country did during their communist era. You would think they would have learned by now.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1