• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Summer 2017 Anime Preview Guide

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:45 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
It is not the format that causes people problems it is the level of meanness in the response.

You seem to forget that we are talking about animated media, just because the characters are human in what appears to be "the normal world" does not mean that real world physics apply. So yeah, by what we have seen Yoshiko by now would have irreparable brain damage due to concussions, but so would characters from any fighting shounen series and many love interests of the tsundere archetype and no one is batting an eye over those.
Ambulator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:33 pm Reply with quote
mangamuscle wrote:
You seem to forget that we are talking about animated media, just because the characters are human in what appears to be "the normal world" does not mean that real world physics apply. So yeah, by what we have seen Yoshiko by now would have irreparable brain damage due to concussions, but so would characters from any fighting shounen series and many love interests of the tsundere archetype and no one is batting an eye over those.

It depends on the viewer as well as the cartoon. I was never very happy watching Bugs, but since they were animals it was tolerable. I always preferred Foghorn Leghorn and the dog, since they were on a more equal footing.

Son Goku, as a shounen example, likes to get into fights; him suffering the consequences is normal. Aho Girl just wants to eat bananas and talk to people. For that does she deserve a fist to the face? That's a far cry from the traditional tap with a fan.

Not that I want to ban Aho Girl. It's just very much not for me.

Last edited by Ambulator on Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:19 am; edited 2 times in total
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle

I agree that what we are seeing is slapstick violence. It ignores human frailty and basic physics. It is no different than the similar violence in Love Hina or Ranma 1/2. The fact that it is so over the top takes some of the evil out of it. A simple slap to the face would be a lot worse. The problem is that the response to a stupid action is unprovoked violence of any kind. This tends to bother some people who are within reason by calling it out. If it doesn't bother you, that is fine. Others obviously differ.

When I was ten years old, I thought the Three Stooges were the funniest thing ever. I don't find them funny now.
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Ambulator wrote:
It depends on the viewer as well as the cartoon. I was never very happy watching Bugs, but since they were animals it was tolerable.

Soon after I became an adult someone I know got his hands in a vhs of "Faces of Death" and we watched it (I was still immature enough to not say "no" in fear of looking like a coward). Oddly enough, most of the video didn't hit me, the only part which disturbed me was when they cooked puppies. So I guess you are right, it depends on the viewer.

Quote:
Son Goku, as a shounen example, likes to get into fights; him suffering the consequences is normal.

Yoshiko likes being an idiot (most idiots irl see that a little more brains can be useful and improve themselves thru education if they get the chance). So I will say that she suffering the consequences is normal, just the same as when Homer Simpson reinserted the crayon in his nose.

Alan45 wrote:
The problem is that the response to a stupid action is unprovoked violence of any kind.

spoiler[Yoshiko has being Akkun childhood friend for a decade, which in kid years is about a century. She has being showing him her brand of idiocy every single day; think of it as the drop of water falling on your face every five minutes. So I think "unprovoked" does not apply to their relationship.]

Quote:
When I was ten years old, I thought the Three Stooges were the funniest thing ever. I don't find them funny now.

Probably at that age (or maybe even younger) I started watching Tom and Jerry (which were made a little over a decade after the stooges started). Even to this day I think they are funny (albeit I have not seen them in quite some time).
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 9:47 pm Reply with quote
@mangamuscle

Perhaps I should have been clearer about what I meant by unprovoked violence. In that setting violence would only be justified to stop harm to yourself or others. It might be a valid response to serious or sustained bullying. Beyond that I can't see any action which could validly provoke a violent response.

I realize this is supposed to be over the top comedy. However, it cuts too close to reality to be funny for me. "She wouldn't shut up" or "She said something stupid" are things real abusers say. Cartoon animals are a different story.
andyscout

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:21 am Reply with quote
hat_hair wrote:
I guess Nick has never heard of Guilty Gear, huh?

Haha, yeah. Even funnier when the sentence before the "not BlazBlue" remark is a mention of Genshiken which also has in-game footage of Guilty Gear in the anime version (and literally calls it out by name, if memory serves) and aired before BlazBlue was even a thing. Still, the footage of Guilty Gear in Gamers! is of two new characters so it probably wouldn't be as obvious to those who don't play fighting games.
trilaan

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:07 am Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:

Although I still really enjoy the Three Stooges, the slapstick component to their comedy has faded somewhat and the humorous wordplay has taken center stage. And they had some of my favorite comedic dialog, such as:

Moe(reading from a book): "Oh see the deer. Has the deer a little doe?"
Curly: "Why certainly! Two bucks!"

Perhaps that's only funny to a pun lover but it's hardly the only example.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
@leafy sea dragon

You forgot a few: In no particular order

Abbott and Costello
George Burns and Gracie Allen
Dean Martin and Jerry Lewis (closest to what you describe as manzai)
Bing Crosby and Bob Hope
Rowen and Martin (Laugh in, they also had a whole stable of "funny men")
The Smothers Brothers
Buggs Bunny and Elmer Fudd or Daffy Duck
Peter Sellers and the world.

The Three Stooges were already mentioned.

and I'm sure I've forgotten some.

It is not the format that causes people problems it is the level of meanness in the response.

Well, there are many, many examples of the comic duo, both in fiction and in stand-up comedy. It is one of the oldest and most recognizable archetypes of comedy, so it's natural there'd be a lot of examples that continue to exist to this very day (for instance, Octodad as the funny man to his wife as the straight man), but I listed three simple, straightfoward examples to demonstrate what a comic duo is like.

mangamuscle wrote:
spoiler[Yoshiko has being Akkun childhood friend for a decade, which in kid years is about a century. She has being showing him her brand of idiocy every single day; think of it as the drop of water falling on your face every five minutes. So I think "unprovoked" does not apply to their relationship.]

Doesn't sound like he should've remained friends with her.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Way to ruin a perfectly good national stereotype, Cam0...

If you want a traditional Finnish stereotype you want to meet my friend Timo. Wears black. Loves heavy metal. Loves hockey. Loves vodka. Doesn't get dry humor and frowns a lot.That stereotypical enough for you Blood? Wink
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:21 pm Reply with quote
See, now THAT'S a Finn! Wink
mangamuscle

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 5:08 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:
Doesn't sound like he should've remained friends with her.

That is a big cultural difference. For us latinos native english speakers are cold, they make their cliques are rarely let anyone in unless they deem him/her worthy (and if you become unworthy you go out). Japan is even more cold than that, you can be drenching in the rain and no one will offer you an umbrella (even if they just bought an extra one for about a dollar) because that would start a relationship with a perfect stranger. So relationships are (in comparison) made to last in Japan because that is one country where you do not want to be alone, the "give and take" is ingrained in their mentality.

Of course, this is what I get from years of watching american and japanese media, I have never lived on either country (save for the two weeks I once stayed at a texan city which I don't remember the name atm).
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:41 am Reply with quote
Is someone serioulsy arguing that Aho Girl is about an abuser? Dear lord... some people will look for anything to be offended by. First off it's a slapstick comedy. Second off, EVERYTHING in blown out of proportions in this anime. Yoshiko and her mother handcuffed someone to a table to look at her panties, for crying out loud. I'd think that warrants at least one uppercut. Then Yoshiko tied Akkun up and used him as a baby. On your logic, that's sexual assault, but I don't see anyone stating that.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:14 pm Reply with quote
Is The Reflection going to be covered in the preview guide or will it just go straight to streaming reviews? I kind of want a variety of opinions on it.
Key

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:32 pm Reply with quote
zrnzle500 wrote:
Is The Reflection going to be covered in the preview guide or will it just go straight to streaming reviews? I kind of want a variety of opinions on it.

It's going straight to episode reviews.

My brief take on it? Starts too slow and I'm definitely not a fan of the art and animation styles. So far it entirely looks like a typical super-hero caper.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Key wrote:
It's going straight to episode reviews.

My brief take on it? Starts too slow and I'm definitely not a fan of the art and animation styles. So far it entirely looks like a typical super-hero caper.

I'll save most of my comments for the review thread, but I will say it is probably the most unique looking anime I've seen, for better or worse.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 34 of 35