• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
I was spoiled for Legend of the Galactic Heroes and wanted to know if I should still watch it.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KrunchyNacho

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Hello, I am extremely pissed off right now as I was interested in starting the series Legend of the Galactic Heroes and I was looking at a review of Game of Thrones and they compared it to LotGH and spoiled me that spoiler[Siegfried Kircheis dies]........ ef my life. I was wondering if I should still watch the show or not even bother anymore. What is the severity of the spoiler on a scale of 1-10? I am going to go shoot myself now, later.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 12:33 pm Reply with quote
Dude. That's one event in the first season. You can still watch it. I GOT THAT SAME THING SPOILED.
zawa113

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 2:41 pm Reply with quote
Honestly, it's like the equivalent of being spoiled in Game of Thrones that spoiler[Ned Stark dies]. So much more stuff happens that that one, it's hardly spoiling the entire series. It's not spoiling a major plot twist or anything, so go on and enjoy it! I mean, yes, that's a pretty big spoiler, but that's one spoiler out of like 50+, and it happen early on.

But much like GoT, beware of looking up anything else once you start getting into it. They're both minefields of spoilers and character deaths, just waiting to blindside you if you look up anything until you're finished/caught up. Trust me, I got spoiled on WAY worse than that while accidentally looking up innocent stuff about the series, so do NOT look up anything else for any reason! Not even opening and ending stuff, NOTHING!
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:16 pm Reply with quote
I get spoiled on almost all of the shows I watch, especially when it comes to live action American TV. It's how I see if the plot goes anywhere interesting, but I was spoiled on a LOT of things in Legend of the Galactic Heroes. I still enjoyed it thoroughly, and you will too.[/spoiler]
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:25 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
I get spoiled on almost all of the shows I watch...

Shit dude try being a mod here when it comes to anime shows and manga. Do you have any idea how many shows I have had ruined because I had to go in as a mod for complaints of spoilers lol? This is why anymore I basically don't watch "new shows" til their 2 years old. That way all the hype over "that particular scene" has faded away and I forget all about it. I've stopped getting upset anymore. I just add the show/manga to my "spoiled pile" and save it for later.

As for your question KrunchyNacho you definitely should still watch LOTGH. as pointed out there is so much else going on in it even that spoiler can't ruin it all. There's just so much that even 1 or 2 major spoilers can't ruin the entire show. At least that's my opinion.

Oh and anyone "surprised" about the Sean Bean spoiler in GOT has not seen enough Sean Bean movies. He spoiler[almost always dies] lol.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 6:59 pm Reply with quote
I could have sworn that Sentai hadn't released Legend of the Galactic Heroes yet. ??? Why are we trying to discuss it now? Especially since it is no longer the impossible dream.

Patience fleas, the night is long.
louis6578

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 7:25 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching it on illegal streaming sites (I won't say which, but it rhymes with piss amine) with garbage fansubs that move too quickly. If Sentai announces it has an old show, expect it to take up to 3 years for them to release it.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 9:34 pm Reply with quote
I've been watching anime for 20 years now. It used to take a couple of years for a new show to be released in the US and another year to get all the singles out. Three years is not really a problem. It is not as though there is any dearth of shows new and old to watch.

Actually my question was more in the nature of why can't we wait and discuss it when everyone can join in.
Galap

PostPosted: Mon Jun 12, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
Go for it. It's a bit of an unfortunate spoiler, but that thing is massive and has a LOT of merits unrelated to that. It's ultimately not that big a deal.
zawa113

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Alan45 wrote:
Actually my question was more in the nature of why can't we wait and discuss it when everyone can join in.

I see no problem with this, when Sentai releases the first set, I suppose we shall need to start a thread in the appropriate area and simply agree to not discuss things beyond that point (people who haven't seen can speculate, but it's hard to speculate when you've seen the whole thing already).

I personally saw LoGH in maybe 2010 or so, it's as binge worthy as Game of Thrones is, that's for sure. At the time, I assumed it had a zero % chance of ever being licensed (still shocked it actually was), so I had my ways to see it. I still haven't actually seen the side OVAs yet (I've seen the movies though, I'm almost hoping Sentai releases the movies first, as one of them is the true start to the series, and the other is a retelling of the first two episodes a bit more fleshed out. We do not discuss the third one, it does not exist). Seriously, Sentai could push those two movies out asap, whet the appetite for the full show and do the logical starting place. Or maybe bundle those movies with the first set, that could work for me too. The third movie can go rot in a ditch.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2017 8:14 pm Reply with quote
@classicalzawa

Actually, the first three volumes of the novels are out from Viz and I've read the first one. I'm not so much concerned about spoilers as simply being able to understand and possibly participate in the discussion. The closer we get to an actual legal release the less sense it makes to discuss some other version. It is not a big issue though.
Jose Cruz

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:04 am Reply with quote
Galap wrote:
Go for it. It's a bit of an unfortunate spoiler, but that thing is massive and has a LOT of merits unrelated to that. It's ultimately not that big a deal.

Yes, specially because it gets really good after that.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kruszer

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 7:00 pm Reply with quote
So you know what happens in 1 episode, there's still 109, plus the multiple spin-off series and movies that you don't.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1