• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Basilisk Sequel Novels Get TV Anime, Manga

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
KH91

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:32 am Reply with quote
The return of Basilisk. I enjoyed the original story. Hopefully, this will be just as good.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:48 am Reply with quote
Just reduce the amount sexual assaults and I'll enjoy it.
Parsifal24

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
I liked the Anime the original Novel felt a little wooden fun pulpy read but really flat characterization. Hopefully this sequel wil capture what I liked about the original and "punch up" the characterization.
Punch Drunk Marc

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:08 am Reply with quote
Might have to scoop up Funimation's Anime Classics release of the original series.
grooven

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:54 am Reply with quote
EXCITE!!! Loved the 2006 (oh god, I feel old) anime. So anything is a huge surprise.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Oh Basilisk, the first... and last...spoiler[kill them all] anime I ever saw. Thanks for the clues and hints that enabled me to escape other shows before I actually started to invest myself in the characters. Though to be fair, one of them had it right in the title...

Also, you're real ugly and that key image for the sequel is cute so how is this a sequel? Also, yeah, that whole spoiler["Everyone's dead, Dave"] ending.

Right, that one's probably more important.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:33 pm Reply with quote
Definitely not something that I was expecting to see an animated sequel to. I am now very curious about how the anime version is going to handle this, especially given how Basilisk ended.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SilverTalon01

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 2:53 pm Reply with quote
tintor2 wrote:

So reduce the dark and gritty aspects that made the original succeed for what it is. Would you like an everyone lives happily ever after ending in there too? I completely get that the original isn't for everyone, but if it isn't for you, maybe just go watch something that is.
jroa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:00 pm Reply with quote
For the record, the reviews for this novel on Amazon are mixed at best. Apparently the worldview is different and there aren't many connections to the original work, despite ostensibly being a sequel, so it would be for the best to have limited to moderate expectations about this new story and approach the anime with an open mind.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Since it's titled "Oka Ninpocho" instead of "Koga Ninpocho", I assume this story will have nothing to do with the Koga and Iga clans. I just hope it's not a simple regurgitation of Basilisk's formula.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:42 pm Reply with quote
Well color me surprised I sure was not expecting this announcement. Especially not with hos Basalisk ended. I really enjoyed the series and the fights between the shinobi in it so I'll be keeping my eye on this.
Cam0

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:05 pm Reply with quote
Yeah, this is something I never expected to happen either. I remember really liking Basilisk. Like Battle Royale with ninjas. Not necessarily knowing which character is going to die next. That cover art thing looks very colourful and cutesy though so I don't know what to expect.
tintor2

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 6:18 pm Reply with quote
SilverTalon01 wrote:
tintor2 wrote:

So reduce the dark and gritty aspects that made the original succeed for what it is. Would you like an everyone lives happily ever after ending in there too? I completely get that the original isn't for everyone, but if it isn't for you, maybe just go watch something that is.

I'm not saying I want it lighter but the writer was savage with so many rapes attempts. The immortal one makes a record. It makes Valvrave looks innocent.
Tylerr

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 7:05 pm Reply with quote
i could have sworn this was a terrible anime.

been so long since i've seen it that i've forgotten though.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:51 pm Reply with quote
I really enjoyed the original series (and manga) so I'll definitely check out the sequel. But yeah, I take the earlier warning to moderate expectations to heart.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2