• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Kakegurui — Episodes 1-3

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stark700

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:01 am Reply with quote
Pretty fun show so far and faithful to the manga.

It's been awhile since I've seen a series on TV related to gambling but I thought the overall psychology has been a thrill so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Lemonchest

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:26 am Reply with quote
How are the games themselves? The high-stakes but simple school games premise has me wondering if the author/writer/director will try to compensate by inventing increasingly convoluted & arbitrary rules & strategies to keep things "interesting" a la Kaiji.
Frog-kun
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:38 am Reply with quote
Lemonchest wrote:
How are the games themselves? The high-stakes but simple school games premise has me wondering if the author/writer/director will try to compensate by inventing increasingly convoluted & arbitrary rules & strategies to keep things "interesting" a la Kaiji.

I haven't read the manga, so I don't know how the story eventually develops, but the first two games are straightforward, while the third game is slightly more convoluted. The rules remain simple but the "cheat" is more complicated.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:17 am Reply with quote
I also checked out the first 3 episodes, and I am not sure if it is worth the hype. To start the whole premise of gambling is silly to me. The main characters seem cartoonish and lack any depth. And aside from the crazy facial expression, the animation is super limited; it reminds me of Prison School's animation style.
chito895

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:36 am Reply with quote
^ I agree with you, but it works for me so well because I never expected anything more from this show. I knew people were crazy and the whole premise was silly, but it's really good at being silly and over the top. I don't think there will be more depth to the characters, but we'll have to see.

And my god, my main reason to watch this was because Saori Hayami was playing the main role and she's throwing it out of the park with this one. Particularly amazing was here acting in episode 3. And I really have to watch When Supernatural Battles...
otagirl

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:43 am Reply with quote
Right because we all know anime is all about being sensible, realistic, and having deep meaningful life changing morals and meaning Rolling Eyes
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:
Right because we all know anime is all about being sensible, realistic, and having deep meaningful life changing morals and meaning Rolling Eyes

I assume you have never watched anime shows like Death Parade. Not all anime is about dumb shit.

Last edited by Angel M Cazares on Wed Jul 19, 2017 11:00 am; edited 1 time in total
ultimatehaki

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 10:59 am Reply with quote
This show is like Love Live as in it knows its silly, over the top and melodramatic and completely rolls with it making it the show's strength instead of a weakness.
Terrible90sDub

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 12:01 pm Reply with quote
otagirl wrote:

Not everything works for everyone. I'm completely okay with absurd characters in comedy anime and the like, but in something like this, the fact I couldn't take the characters seriously at all completely eliminated any sense of thrill or drama I could get out of it. Nothing felt believable, so I didn't really care who won or lost, but that's just me and I can see how it could be entertaining for others.

There are also plenty of anime that have at least one of the traits you described, and even some that are absurd while also being meaningful.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 1:35 pm Reply with quote
This is a really nice way around Netflix's policies. I like it. I'll be waiting, like usual, but at least this allows for the conversation to continue in some way. Will this be a weekly thing like the normal simulcast stuff? Or just more of a one off thing that may or may not happen again?
CaRoss

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:30 pm Reply with quote
I'm still a little shocked that Netflix grabbed this one (instead of something like Made in Abyss or Welcome to the Ballroom) since it doesn't really seem like a series that will expand too far beyond its niche.

However, I'm excited to see how this all turns out and what the reaction of the general Netflix viewership is - whether they write this off purely due to the psychosexual nature of the series or indulge in what is one of the most twisted and enjoyable manga of recent years.

Hopefully Netflix does announce when they're planning to release this one soon though. We already know when the first half of Fate/Apocrypha is coming, and I would love to know when to expect this one too.
Xiximaro

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 3:49 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty sure the reviewer watched this illegally like everybody else...
Shay Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 4:00 pm Reply with quote
Xiximaro wrote:
I'm pretty sure the reviewer watched this illegally like everybody else...

Why? He's in Japan and has Netflix.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 8:32 pm Reply with quote
For people caring about the Netflix release, we still don't have a date if I recall but we did have a North American placeholder page on Netflix, which listed the series in North America as "2017", but has now been deleted, so I doubt that date means anything.

At least it shows Netflix hasn't forgotten about it.
Gina Szanboti

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2017 9:07 pm Reply with quote
I watched the first episode, but was so put off by the art style that even though I kind of wanted to follow this, I haven't been able to bring myself to watch more. I thought maybe this article would convince me that I was missing something, but it basically cemented the idea that I'm not. So thanks for that! Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2