• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
When Does it Get Good?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 5:09 pm Reply with quote
I feel like it should not take so long for a show to get good. I drop the new HxH anime at 15 episodes because the show didn't come off as anything special and people tell to watch up to episode 30.

By 15 episodes for a very long show, that's a lot of time on the story and characters. If nothing is interesting by at that point, I have no reason to go beyond. Even for short shows like 13 episode series, I will go up to Episode 3 and see if I want to watch the rest of it or not.

Some shows like YYH and Cowboy Bebop are good by episode one and are good enough for me to watch the rest of the show.
killjoy_the

PostPosted: Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
I feel like if it takes that long for something to 'get good', then I'd better use my time with things that are good from the get-go. I have limited time to watch anime and spending over 10 episodes not enjoying myself in order to get to content that I might enjoy later on isn't really my thing.
gsilver

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
I'm kinda surprised to see Haibane Renmei mentioned. I actually preferred the first half.

Likewise, the opener to Monster was fantastic.

Madoka... it was really just the 2nd episode that felt fillerish. The opener was pretty intriguing.
yuna49

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2017 11:00 am Reply with quote
Samurai Flamenco seems like a simple amusement about besotted wannabe superheroes until episode seven.

Juuni Kokuki ("Twelve Kingdoms") takes nearly as long to really get going. It starts when a certain unusual character appears.

The most deceptive first episode I've ever watched is in Shadow Star Narutaru. You'd think the show was about a cheerful girl having happy adventures at the beach. Not even close.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:45 am Reply with quote
The best example that I can think of takes me back to my very earliest anime-watching days, Trigun. I knew very little about the medium as a whole but had still seen its name pop up on random forums, so I was looking forward to seeing it. When I started in on it, though, I was left confused: this was the thing that people had hyped up? This complete goober of a protagonist was supposed to be a legendary gunman? (Pretty much the same reaction as Meryl Strife herself, come to think of it. Very Happy) But then came episode 5, "Hard Puncher," with an ending where we finally see Vash the Stampede in all of his steely-eyed glory, and I was hooked. Of course now I go back and totally crack up at Vash's antics in those first few episodes, but they were harder to buy when they didn't match my initial expectations.

And while I'd never suggest that it "gets good" at this point, since the first few episodes are already fantastic, Cowboy Bebop's 5th episode, "Ballad of Fallen Angels," is a bona fide masterpiece, easily one of the greatest individual anime episodes ever made. I think there was something about that 5th episode of a 26-episode series, because while I don't remember exactly which I know there were a few other shows of that length I watched that picked up right around then.

Someone brought up One Piece earlier, and while again I don't think it's a simple case of "getting good," I'd say that the series really starts to hit its stride with the Arlong Park arc and Nami's backstory, somewhere around episode 30 or so. That's the first place you truly encounter what later becomes Oda's forte: a new friend with a tragic past, a horrific villain heartlessly taking advantage of them, and Luffy and his friends banding together to overthrow the corrupt status quo. Nami breaking down to ask Luffy for help and the subsequent march on Arlong Park remain one of the most iconic scenes of the entire series. The fun part is that even though 30 episodes is a ridiculous time to ask someone to wait until something "gets good," it's a miniscule fraction of the overall series by this point.
Animegomaniac

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:58 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

And while I'd never suggest that it "gets good" at this point, since the first few episodes are already fantastic, Cowboy Bebop's 5th episode, "Ballad of Fallen Angels," is a bona fide masterpiece, easily one of the greatest individual anime episodes ever made. I think there was something about that 5th episode of a 26-episode series, because while I don't remember exactly which I know there were a few other shows of that length I watched that picked up right around then.

I watched the first ten episode of Bebop and the only one I liked was episode 9, the one that introduced Ed but immediately grew bored again when episode 10 went back to the usual "failure is the only outcome" plotting because you can't have episodic structure without worshipping at the alter of "status quo is God".

"That was the end of the episode. Come back next week for something completely different."
"Shouldn't you build off of the experiences you set up in the current episode?"
"No. Come back next week." [slams door]

An anime classic of Stand alone proportions... Not my thing.

Neither is Moribito which tried serial storytelling but never understood the idea that "actions have consequences" which is the foundation of such adventures. Never got good for me and that ending in particular was just "Well...That just didn't happen." Let's sum up spoiler[guardian woman leaves the prince in the father's care because his reason for trying to have him killed was "just one of those rash impulse things" and most certainly will never come up again? Because lesson learned? Or because another flimsy excuse for a story won't be necessary as the Prince lost his "main character" status?] That last one is truer than I'd like as this is just one story in a larger series... that's only about one character from this series. No "Lone Wolf and Cub" this one... Just Yojimbo and that one is better remembered as Fistful of Dollars which isn't even the best one in that series.

I've heard that Eureka 7 gets good around episode 26... which I guess I believe as I'm stuck on episode 14... a clip show, hurray!... with very little interest to move on. Drop the main characters, shoot the hippy dippy surfing crew, maroon those kids on such rock somewhere and focus on the Imperial villains, then you got a show. I think its called Code Geass...

Both Clannad and Clannad After Story are neither very good... we are being honest here, right? All the character stories are just Kanon like sad girls minus all the death but After Story does have the five best anime episodes ever... which then are spoiler[promptly retconned in an unsad excuse of an ending].
yuna49

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 8:28 am Reply with quote
Animegomaniac wrote:
spoiler[guardian woman leaves the prince in the father's care because his reason for trying to have him killed was "just one of those rash impulse things" and most certainly will never come up again? Because lesson learned? Or because another flimsy excuse for a story won't be necessary as the Prince lost his "main character" status?]

Chagum's relationship with the Emperor remains complex after his return if you read the later novels or watch the excellent live-action NHK adaptation. Its first four episodes present the material in the anime (with the same ending); the remaining thirteen cover later events which again involve serious tensions between Chagum and his father. Nine of those thirteen have been aired; the last four come out this fall. Trailer (in Japanese) here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tK_vo9h9Qbs
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2