• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: One Piece Manga Gets Live-Action Hollywood TV Show

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
EducatedRuffian

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:08 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
amagee wrote:
I just want Dave Bautista to be Franky, Patrick Stewart to voice Chopper, and Gordon Ramsey to be Sanji. I'd watch the hell out of that show.

You are too late to speculate on such a matter, I'm afraid. Here's a photograph of the cast.

Thanks for giving me a good laugh.

Also, as a Brit, I'm really confused as to how ITV will be a part in this. Perhaps it's going to be in the same vain as Primeval
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
ETX wrote:
Also, didn't realize ITV studios would be a part of this.

My, the plot thickens! I half expect Ant and Dec to appear in the cast now...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 10:56 am Reply with quote
I'm a huge One Piece Fan... it's my favorite anime and I honestly don't know how to feel about this.

On one hand Hollywood hasn't had a good track record.

On the other hand: Who knows maybe it might be good. They might get some people wants to make it true enough to the original. A fun adventure show. As long as the keep the spirit I think it might be okay.

If it does get the green light (highly unlikely) we'll just have to see...
veemonjosh

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:43 am Reply with quote
mooseV01 wrote:
Animeking1108 wrote:
The anime didn't even last on American TV. What makes them think this has a shot?

It actually lasted quite a long time. 3 years to be exact.

Yeah, but this news is still coming right off the heels of Toonami ending its run of One Piece due to extremely low ratings. I have to wonder if that may be something that American networks will take into consideration before risking their money on this adaptation.
ETX

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Zin5ki wrote:
ETX wrote:
Also, didn't realize ITV studios would be a part of this.

My, the plot thickens! I half expect Ant and Dec to appear in the cast now...

Thanks for the laughs Laughing

Though I honestly wouldn't be surprised though..
Spawn29

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 11:58 am Reply with quote
I don't know why they can't pick anime and manga that work better in live action instead like Hellsing, Gunsmith Cats, Black Jack or even something recent Space Brothers.
Exalted Incarnate

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
A JoJo live action series would have worked better. Especially if it is in the hands of Hollywood.
Animeking1108

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 1:34 pm Reply with quote
bleachj0j wrote:
How is that Naruto and Battle Angel Alita movie coming?

BAA is coming along, but "Naruto" still hasn't gotten past pre-production.
Re:SOUL

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:15 pm Reply with quote
ITV? As in ITV UK? Urgh... No thanks. I know that I don't have to watch this but I'm going to have to...
residentgrigo

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:27 pm Reply with quote
A US adaptation of the 3rd-bestselling comic of all time was a forgone conclusion, as TV one was not.
It´s also SJ and Oda who sold the rights, not the evil Hollywood businessman, so blame them if you are "angry".
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Apashi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:36 pm Reply with quote
So many dislikes! I don't blame them, and most of the time I would whole-heartedly agree with them. I can't stand bad Hollywood live action remakes. I'm blissfully pretending the Netflix Death Note does not exist. However, in this instance I am actually for it, and this is why. (Sorry this is more of a comment! I don't mean to sound haughty either.)
Compared to Naruto, DBZ, and Death Note, One Piece never really got the same recognition in the west in comparison to its home country. I mean OP is basically the biggest manga of all time but overseas there isn't much of a following. I think a film like this would boost it's popularity, even if it is bad. It would open the door to new anime and manga fans who would have otherwise not gotten into it. Also, this is more of a personal opinion, but I am very intrigued as to how the heck this would even translate into live action. It's like the Lion King live action. I don't particularly like the idea, but I am interested in how it will look.
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:38 pm Reply with quote
This has "horrible disaster" written all over it. Whoever thought that this was a good idea is certifiable.
leafy sea dragon

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:28 pm Reply with quote
I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand, I think it'd be better animated. On the other, live-action would likely be the only way this can ever draw in enough eyes for it to be profitable, but then again, it's also very hard to get right without a monumental budget.

Calico wrote:
One Piece is waaay too cartoon-y to ever work in live-action without it looking ridiculous. But it probably won't come out for years, if at all.

Hey, they did it with the Popeye and Speed Racer live-action movies.

Calico wrote:
Luffy's power could work in live action, but I was referring more to the character designs than anything else. I've only read a little of One Piece, but a lot of the character designs are incredibly exaggerated. If you adapt that to live action, you'd either have to give everyone more grounded designs, or attempt to recreate the outlandish designs and look either garish or incredibly freaky.

They've been giving outlandish character designs more grounded appearances in live action for as long as live action adaptations of cartoons have existed. This'd be no different.

theNightster wrote:
who asked for this? because there would need to be a lot of CGI for a series like One Piece, I mean the main character has a rubber body for Christs sake

Well, there are many things that can go wrong with this, but there being lots of CGI is not one of them.

HueyLion wrote:
A theme park, dance mobile game, 4D ride and a real life Thousand Sunny replica that comes to Japan a few times a year..... NOW A LIVE TV SERIES!

That's it One Piece has achieved EVERTHING at this point

One Piece has not yet had its own Monopoly board game, pinball machine, or Funko POP! figures. Metallica pulled that off recently.

Thorfinn wrote:
Oh, please no... How about funding an anime remake that isn't trash compared to the manga. I wouldn't be surprised if this live action thing ends up being better than whatever Toei puts out, lol.

That'd be really interesting if it outdoes Toei in quality. Would be a real wake up call.

veemonjosh wrote:

Yeah, but this news is still coming right off the heels of Toonami ending its run of One Piece due to extremely low ratings. I have to wonder if that may be something that American networks will take into consideration before risking their money on this adaptation.

One Piece has trouble catching on in the United States for two reasons: The art style and the lack of appeal to the traditional American anime crowd. Neither of these will be present with a live-action adaptation made by westerners.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 4:29 pm Reply with quote
I think the main reason is because it's a show about pirates. They've also practically exhausted all the well-known superheroes that aren't tied up in rights and need something else to adapt.

If they follow the story from the beginning it could be a while before they even get to Sanji. The first season will likely only deal with Luffy, Zoro, Usopp, Nami, Robin and Sanji, if that. I would also expect the first season would only deal with the East Blue.

Chopper would require a lot of animation so they would probably want to avoid him at first. Frankie could have to change his outfit, although they would likely take some time getting to him. I wouldn't expect him to be in the first season. Brook could also be difficult and might be shown in human form. But he also wouldn't show up until later.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:02 pm Reply with quote
leafy sea dragon wrote:

One Piece has not yet had its own Monopoly board game, pinball machine, or Funko POP! figures. Metallica pulled that off recently.

Um...

https://funko.com/products/pop-animation-one-piece-luffy

They also have Ace, Chopper and Law.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6