• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gamers! (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
Ha! All my friends laughed when I bought these Hypno-Glasses, but they are already paying off...
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 5:32 pm Reply with quote
Okay, so while I think that the way she acted when he turned her down the second time was evidence that she was considering him somewhat special, I think that has to be juxtaposed to how this was to her earlier. By which I mean compare this to before visiting the club where I think that she that like he thought at the time, he was not entirely special and she probably thought the same thing about him as with the puzzle guy. Maybe it sounds too quick, but I think it was a lot of the comments he made, like how he was particularly playing for fun and had no special reason for playing, that are things that were resonating with her and were making her feel invested with him. I think that the second rejection scene was funny in how it kind of made her look uncharacteristically tsundere.

She started pretty much stalking him after the second rejection, and I think it only just evolved into a crush.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2017 6:56 pm Reply with quote
AND YOU WOULD BE WRONG!!!

I'm too lazy to go back and rewatch, but I have no doubt there would be evidence of "more than just platonic interest" on her part right from the start. So like I say, simply accept this hand-waving statement and let's be done with it.
Stark700

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:25 am Reply with quote
I definitely like Uehara the most in this show now. Amano feels a bit like a side character (well from episode 2 anyway).

We got to see Persona game this week so I wonder what other games we'll see.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
A Mystery

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
The end result is the same: she's madly in love now.
I really loved the friendship bro thing happening between Amano and Uehara. The twists happening after he was evaluating his girlfriend were fun too.
I certainly hope Uehara holds up his promise to the audience about wanting to tease Tendou with her crush. Should be fun to see.

And guys, trying to guess everything with tropes isn't going to work when this show already shattered some. Of course, some will stay (like beauty chooses nerd).
Though I'm now kinda looking forward to a barking dog that needs savin' or something.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 9:38 pm Reply with quote
Episode 3

Yep, this show is still going strong. Got a bit before the end of last week which showed he did not even know the girl, Chiaki, but had been goaded into being social with her because they likely shared some interests. It was pretty hilarious seeing Karen see this and turn to dust. In general great that he got to become friends with Chiaki, and even that them being different on one particular thing, which to be honest is pretty fair as different tastes between gender. He is kind of one being unfair by not seeing how a girl might not be so interested in moe characters, but perhaps she should also not be so harsh back. Keita made a funny comment about Chiaki being swayed by a cute guy but not moe.

There are a bunch of misunderstandings, and those tend to be among the most criticised type of ways to build drama, but I don't really feel this is building drama rather than being pretty funny. I previously compared this show to it, but I would bring up This Art Club Has a Problem, which had one of the funniest lines of misunderstandings in recent memory. So I am rather finding the show funny.

A couple questions though. One that seems likely is that Chiaki being Mono by her holding up a phone at the end of the episode while Keita and Aguri are freaking out about them being so close, this might even mean that Tasuku might even learn it if he got a good look at her playing the game. The other is a weird flow of events that seems to maybe setting forward a narrative: Aguri seems down after talking to Tasuku, cut to Keita mailing/commenting to the game maker NOBE, praising them but also taking note of they did not do some weird twist like usual, NOBE replies back thanking him and then Keita notices something we are not shown. When Keita enters the next scene he seems concerned about something and asks Tasuku if Aguri said anything strange the previous day before being relieved when Tasuku says nothing really, now this could be to do with how he knew Aguri would be upset, but I think maybe something else. Instead I think that it might be hinting that Aguri is NOBE, NOBE's apparent strange way to do games could fit into some of her personality, and I think the first episode hinted that Keita and Aguri would have meetings with each other in the future.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:42 am Reply with quote
Interesting theory about Aguri = NOBE. I feel like NOBE is a character we've been introduced to, but wouldn't Chiaki = NOBE make more sense? The idea that Aguri is secretly making games seems a little outlandish.

To tell the truth, I'm not thrilled the way Aguri and Tendou are basically being given the same deal. The "comedy" is revolving around both seeing and hearing things that give the wrong impression about Tasuku and Amano. Why not give the two different characters a different deal?

Don't get the wrong idea, I find this show funny and enjoyable but I don't see why there are basically doubling up on the same beat.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 8:39 pm Reply with quote
Let me give my opinion on the whole "moe" thing that Chiaki and Amano were fighting about:

ANY GIRL WHO CRITICIZES MOE BUT LIKES SEEING HOT GUYS IS A F***ING HYPOCRITE!!!

Twisted Evil
Like, have you ever seen ME criticize the insertion of moe characters into an animu or game?

NO!!!

And you never will. Razz

Amano just approached it wrong; he should of said "Any time you were playing the Western games, didn't you ever think "Now if only there were cute boys in this game?"

He would have won with that. You must think like your enemy to win the debate. Anime hyper Silly Amano.

Tendou's scenes are funny but........I'm starting to feel bad for her. :{

...............how great is that OP though? Laughing
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:09 pm Reply with quote
They are teenagers, if anything this sort of conflict is good to teach them the hypocrisy they might have. To understand things that are important to them may not be to another, just as something important to that person may not be to you. I cannot refute that 10 years ago I was less accepting of things I did not like, despite being someone into niche things myself. Like I would think poorly of Ouran High with all the hot dudes, it is something you kind of have to get over.

It was kind of a thing recently that I was having the jerk reaction to Final Fantasy XV of thinking poorly of it being four boyband looking "hot guys" giving into my biases of the player characters being them. But I played the game and found the guys were actually likable and fun, and appreciate it quite a bit.
Chiibi

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:39 pm Reply with quote
That is a good point.

I'm probably expecting too much maturity from these silly teens.

Speaking of that, I hope Aguri and Tasuku make up in the next episode. They're awfully cute together.....but she really needs to calm down and trust him. Anime hyper
Tuor_of_Gondolin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:19 am Reply with quote
Sorry, Chiibi, but I'm thinking that "hand on the shoulder" thing is going to be a deal-breaker. Like what Amano said, "Whyyyyyyy?!" That relationship is headed for the rocks. Amano was a good friend and tried to save it for his bro, but there's only so much you can do when the guy you're trying to help out commits seppuku that way.

I'm also of the opinion that it's probably Aguri and not Chiaki that's actually NOBE. Amano and Chiaki have hung out together for long enough that I think they would've picked up on their mutual gaming past if they'd had one. However, Amano hasn't really hung out with Aguri until now, and he seemed to suddenly be concerned about her well-being after whatever it was he noticed in that email. Also, There are a couple of other reasons as well, but those are a bit more vague. So, yeah, I think NOBE is Aguri.

Poor Tendou. I'm sure her time will come... eventually. Probably. Razz
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:31 am Reply with quote
Aguri may be NOBE, but if she is, I'll consider that a bit of an ass-pull. Logically, Chiaki makes more sense as an amateur game designer.
Treeborn

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Damn it Tasuku, what you doing to yourself...You have a perfectly good (albeit a little possessive) girlfriend right there!

Really liked that they didn't go the harem route with Chiaki, it makes way more sense for a highschool girl to fall for a guy who's good looking and commanding instead of Amano. And I am enjoying the tension all these mishaps are creating between the main characters.

About the Aguri being NOBE, I do agree it would seem a bit out of left field, even if we were shown that she may have also been a nerd in the past. I wouldn't hate it though.

If they did go that route, however, I would like to see Aguri slowly transition back to her black hair as she focuses more on that passion of hers. I think that'd be a really good direction to take!
Cam0

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:51 pm Reply with quote
I've been thinking that Chiaki is probably Mono. She being both Mono and NOBE doesn't seem right to me.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 6:05 pm Reply with quote
Oh, Chiaki is definitely Mono.

Wait, Tasuku may be NOBE! Or Tendou! Heh.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6