• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Welcome to the Ballroom

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chaccide

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 4:40 am Reply with quote
GoldCrusader wrote:
chaccide wrote:
The women in this off look like the women and American comics who have absurdly unrealistic spinal curvatures that would normally put you in a body cast. I can't stand looking at them. But I would if I found the rest of the anime intriguing, but I'm not intrigued by a sports anime that uses so many stills. Do they ever actually show, oh I don't know, couples moving while they dance?

Did you watch the show or are you complaining before checking it out? Because even if it did have some stills, some of the best animation moments of this season (sakuga) so far have been in this show. Episode 2 had a beautiful sakuga moment that sadly caused the death of its animator(overwork).

So yes they do. Watch it and maybe you would actually see them?

Yeah, I watched it before writing that. I wasn't impressed. You may think there was some of the best animation moments of the season, but considering we're only three weeks into a poor season there's not that much to discuss at this point. I however still think that that's stretching it. One 20 second scene doesn't save the show from all the crap 'animation' that went before.

I actually gave it until episode 3 since everyone kept gushing about how episode 3 would be so great. I found it to be unbearable, checking off a list of Shonen tropes so quickly that they just sped by without them having been imbued with any of the importance they should have been. And all those served to do is take time away from the few genuine moments that were in the anime that I found interesting.

I realize there are tons of fans who feel the need to defend the show from any criticism whatsoever, but try to be a little bit realistic. The show has issues. Enough that three episodes are all I can stand.

Edit: I just read the comment that said the writing felt schizophrenic and completely agree. That describes the problem with it very well.
CrowLia

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 12:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
a series that's already not quite living up to its full potential.

I think this sums up my feelings quite nicely: the show's fine, but that's about it, which is disappointing. It has the potential to be so much more but it's getting bogged down by all the still shots vs lack of actually animated dancing, the shoehorned shonen tropes (did we really need to get Tatara to the dance floor, and at a major championship competition so soon?) and the random nuisances like those close-ups of that one woman's boobs.

Also Sengoku's jerkiness crossed the line for me this time around with how he trash-talked his rival. I'd tolerate it if the other guy had trash-talked back or it was made apparent that they had that kind of relationship, but it was obvious that wasn't the case and that the burly dude was uncomfortable with Sengoku's extremely rude comments. I was mostly indifferent to his asshole attitude til now, but that scene really rubbed me the wrong way
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
^ Since I am not familiar with the source material, I can't speak as to how the adaptation has been handled so far. And 3 episodes out of 24 is a sample too small to make an informed assessment. The shonen tropes are not a problem for me; In fact, I expected them. But I agree that Sengoku is a jerk; all the main characters should punch him on the face.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 7:59 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Editor's note: this review originally contained language that was insensitive given recent events surrounding this series - the author of the review was not aware of those news developments. The review has been revised, and we regret the error.

Forgive me if I'm being insensitive for asking this, but what are the recent events this note is talking about? I tried looking through news articles regarding this show, but I can't find anything.
Princess_Irene
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:06 pm Reply with quote
I'm still not sure myself, but I apologize if anyone saw the previous version and was upset by it. I would never intentionally cause someone distress.
Bashnek

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
Quote:
Editor's note: this review originally contained language that was insensitive given recent events surrounding this series - the author of the review was not aware of those news developments. The review has been revised, and we regret the error.

Forgive me if I'm being insensitive for asking this, but what are the recent events this note is talking about? I tried looking through news articles regarding this show, but I can't find anything.

Kanunori Mizuno died whilst working on this series

This article has some more info
getchman
Space Cowboy

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:
Quote:

apparently, someone who was working on this show died from exhaustion earlier his week. He literally worked himself to death
CookieBun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:25 pm Reply with quote
https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2017/07/18/welcome-to-the-ballroom-episode-2/

This article explains what happened and has some important things to say about the industry as a whole.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:38 pm Reply with quote
Bashnek wrote:

Kanunori Mizuno died whilst working on this series

This article has some more info

Oh, I remember that! Like the article said, all the news surrounding Mizuno's death labeled him as "Naruto animator," when in reality, he was working on both Naruto AND Ballroom. Wow, that's tragic. Is his death the reason why there have been troubles with the animation, the still shots, and all of that? It would be far more understandable if that were the case. I just hope the show regains its bearings on that front.

This is just sad news all around. RIP Kazunori Mizuno.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Obviously the death of this person is sad, but I feel that the note at the end of the episode is not very smart because Rebecca is being portrayed as insensible and guilty of something. Rebecca did nothing wrong.

ANN is handling this in the wrong manner, and it is bullshit.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:31 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Obviously the death of this person is sad, but I feel that the note at the end of the episode is not very smart because Rebecca is being portrayed as insensible and guilty of something. Rebecca did nothing wrong.

I'm not going to quote it directly since it was removed, but you can see the line in question in the change history. I think the note made it clear enough that it was not out of malice on the reviewer's part, and I certainly don't hold it against her as she didn't know. I was going to comment on it myself but the edit had been made after I returned to the article, and knowing that the reviewer didn't know about what happened when they wrote it makes me think better of it than had it not been noted. Though they probably should have told the reviewer the specifics (if they knew it themselves) when the edit was made.
catbot158

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Kiddo626 wrote:

Oh, I remember that! Like the article said, all the news surrounding Mizuno's death labeled him as "Naruto animator," when in reality, he was working on both Naruto AND Ballroom. Wow, that's tragic. Is his death the reason why there have been troubles with the animation, the still shots, and all of that? It would be far more understandable if that were the case. I just hope the show regains its bearings on that front.

This is just sad news all around. RIP Kazunori Mizuno.

His death didn't entirely affect the overall production of Ballroom: like the article said, the production has been mostly healthy. It does, however, put some of the animation in Episode 2 into perspective. It's still so sad, and I hope the rest of the animation team is doing alright.
I wrote an article on karoshi, or death by overworking, for journalism class and it is shocking stuff. Karoshi is present in all Japanese industries, not just the animation industry, though it's prevalent there. The government is starting to make small changes in order to reduce karoshi, but it's difficult when the Japanese are so used to this work ethic, and the population drop hasn't helped. It's an extreme lifestyle, and I do not envy the kids who have to enter the workforce.
Redbeard 101
Oscar the Grouch
Forums Superstar

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:42 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:

Really? She in no way is being portrayed that way. How in the world did you even get that? The editor's note clearly stated she had no idea regarding what had happened. She even just said so herself. So how that constitutes her being portrayed as insensible is beyond me.
Angel M Cazares

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:14 pm Reply with quote
Psycho 101 wrote:
angelmcazares wrote:

Really? She in no way is being portrayed that way. How in the world did you even get that? The editor's note clearly stated she had no idea regarding what had happened. She even just said so herself. So how that constitutes her being portrayed as insensible is beyond me.

My strong response is based on looking at the original text of the review. Rebecca is not saying anything insensitive; she was basically saying that there were issues with the animation and that the animators had to do better. What is so terrible about that?

But ANN is making a huge deal about it and blowing things out of proportion. If anyone is offended by the original version of the review, they are way too sensitive. Disagree all you want with me, but ANN owes Rebecca an apology for demonizing her original review, which had nothing wrong in it.
Selipse

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:35 pm Reply with quote
angelmcazares wrote:
Rebecca is not saying anything insensitive; she was basically sating that there were issues with the animation and that the animators had to do better. What is so terrible about that?

Saying that people who work so hard they literally die should work harder is pretty terrible.
Saying that animators are lazy in this industry is just ignorant, and in this case it's flat-out offensive.
Not to say that Rebecca had bad intentions at all. As bad as it was, it was just a mistake and we all make them. We can only hope all reviewers learn from it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19