• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Clip for Netflix's Live-Action Death Note Film Shows Ryuk, Light's Meeting

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Woomy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:26 am Reply with quote
razberry_yum wrote:
BadNewsBlues wrote:
If you're the type of fan to expect an adaptation to basically be a 1:1 adaptation of a work down to having the characters to practically act and behave the same exact way as they do in the existing work....it kind of is. Not the same as complaining about Optimus having flame decals on his body or Bumblebee not being a Volkwagon but stlll....

Is it really a 1:1 expectation if I just wish that LA Light seemed more like the original Light instead of the loser tweaker dude we're stuck with? Imagine if Patrick Bateman was played by Steve Buscemi (not that I think Steve Buscemi is a loser tweaker dude, but he's as far from Christian Bale as I can imagine, appearance-wise) and his character was a high school drop-out just hanging out on a street corner dealing drugs, how that would have changed American Psycho. You don't think people should be able to complain if that had been the case with that movie? Now I might be going a little extreme, I admit, since these are just the vibes I'm getting with the new Death Note movie, but I hope you can at least understand where I'm coming from with that analogy.

There is literally not enough evidence floating around whatsoever to determine that this Light is some social pariah. None of these clips or trailers have revealed the extent of his characterization.
Woomy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:32 am Reply with quote
FackuIkari wrote:
I would complain about that Ryuk isn't the same as in the anime and manga but since Light, L and Misa are different too I don't really care, let's run with it and see what they can do with that.

And honestly I like that's different and not trying to be a remake of the anime/manga, that story is done, take that and make something else, I'm fine with that.

Misa and L are a little different sure, but their roles remain the same. L is also looking to still be eccentric in nature and that's part of the definitive spirit of that character. Most people still are just complaining because of who is portraying him which doesn't matter to me because Keith Stanfield is a good actor. I just want L to still be L. And I didn't like him because he was white.

The real kicker that's kinda funny is seeing angry weebs complain about Keith in the role still saying L needed to be Asian for some reason, and the actor is actually from the U.K. Which is where L is from in the source material.
razberry_yum

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 6:39 pm Reply with quote
Woomy wrote:

There is literally not enough evidence floating around whatsoever to determine that this Light is some social pariah. None of these clips or trailers have revealed the extent of his characterization.

I don't know about that...in the previews and stillshots I've seen he sure doesn't look like the most popular guy at school type; at least that's the impression I got from those glimpses. I take it you already saw the movie so if you're telling me I'm totally wrong and this Light is actually the school idol/valedictorian and very close to how he is characterized in the source material, then I'd be more than happy to admit I'm wrong. In fact, that will make me actually look forward to the movie.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3