• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Castlevania producer Adi Shankar

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 11:34 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I used the classic Berserk as an example of what to do
Oh so that is why the animation is very stilted in a lot of scenes, could you not of taken the beautiful watercolour backgrounds instead?
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Hollywood needs to be courting this guy to make anime adaptions. So nice to see someone who knows what the hell they're talking about.
Kikaioh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm not a fan of Adi Shankar. Pretty much at all. I've seen some interviews with the guy, and he really comes across as a pretentious hipster. I appreciate his enjoyment of anime and videogames, just not his attitudes or philosophies.
Desa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Shankar's Castlevania was balls to the wall amazing. The English cast and script was basically perfect, especially Matt Frewer as The Bishop. He really nails that religious zeal and fervor in a way I think very few can.

The next 8 episodes can't come fast enough.
relyat08

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:46 pm Reply with quote
This guy sounds like an absolute blast. Laughing
I can see how his opinions might be slightly polarizing, just because of how op-in-ion-ated he is, but I find them somewhat endearing. I haven't seen this yet, and I've heard over all mixed feelings on it, but I'm a fan of so many of the people involved that I'm definitely going to watch it and will probably like it based on what I've heard.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I was already positive on him after watching and enjoying Castlevania, but this improves my opinion even more. He really seems like he knows his stuff, both new and old, and is a genuine fan. Looking forward to what he and the staff he brings together can make.
Darkabomination

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 3:55 pm Reply with quote
I really hope we'll get a Rondo of Blood/Symphony adaptation someday. I'd love to see what they could do with Maria Renard, and continue their take on Alucard's story.

As other reviews have stated, the worst thing you can say about the show is it's only 4 episodes long, but it's quality over quantity.
PFdaCIA

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 4:25 pm Reply with quote
I liked the interview. I did not find what he said forced, on the contrary, I agree 100% with what was said, because it is of my interest. CGI works only for the background. The only studio that took precedence over this until now [which I know, at least in the background] is Studio Wit. For the rest, the CGI only serves to dictate secondary characters in the plan and background, but it needs to be done well for that.

About him saying that the franchise is global I agree, and also hope that this indicates that non-American artists will also participate in the next adaptations. I initially expected the producers to go to good Korean studios as usual, but this talented team showed that they can handle the service. Even so I hope they add artists of other nationalities with talents, preferably South Korean lol
Agent355

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:22 pm Reply with quote
I was surprised when he brought up Gundam as an example. That's the mark of a true fan. His international upbringing sounds so interesting.
Really liked Castlevania. At 4 episodes, it plays like a long pilot. Looking forward to the next 8 episodes. The least "anime" part of the show was the voice acting, which was so understated and naturalistic, almost quiet (especially Trevor). It took a while to get used to, but it highlights the deadpan humor.
Ajc228

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 5:46 pm Reply with quote
I'm not terribly concerned with Shankar's geek cred or status as a legitimate fan. However, It's cool to see that he is passionate about producing interesting films and television. Dredd, Killing Them Softly, and the Grey are all great films he's had a hand in producing. His filmography speaks for itself. Castlevania was a fun adaptation even if Ellis writing proclivities are a bit much sometimes. The animation was a bit inconsistent but decent. Most importantly, the characters are given agency and plot has momentum. I'm hoping the second season retains the quality of the first.
AiddonValentine

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2017 6:49 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
Hollywood needs to be courting this guy to make anime adaptions. So nice to see someone who knows what the hell they're talking about.

Though he's not interested in the film industry anymore (there are several interviews where he decries it as exploiting fans as a built-in audience for opening day). Still, with him finding decent talent for Castlevania the guy clearly has an eye for finding the right people.

Anyway, great interview with the guy and I look forward to Season 2
donhumberto

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Well, given the endless flood of utter crap coming from Japan lately it's actually refreshing to see people that still cares about not pandering to the lowest otaku crowd.
I actually enjoyed Castlevania a lot and am eager to watch its second half and all future projects Shankar is involved in. Definitely looks like an interesting guy to keep an eye on.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 1:06 pm Reply with quote
The first season is definitely good viewing! Definitely eager for the second! Very Happy
marshalbanana wrote:
Oh so that is why the animation is very stilted in a lot of scenes, could you not of taken the beautiful watercolour backgrounds instead?

What are you? His supervisor?
Kougeru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:43 pm Reply with quote
Really wasn't bad. I agree with an earlier comment that this cool seems like (my words here) a tool. Still not an anime though.
Panoptican

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 4:15 am Reply with quote
Everyone who helped make the Castlevania Netflix series should be applauded for making a video game adaption that doesn't suck. It's crazy how rare that is. Not only does it not suck. It's actually pretty good.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2