• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Niji-Iro Hotaru Director Responds to your name. Plagiarism Claim

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xristophoros

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:11 pm Reply with quote
not surprised in the least. shinkai stole half of his ideas from miyazaki and ghibli with regards to his previous film, Children Who Chase Lost Voices.
Compelled to Reply

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:55 pm Reply with quote
0nsen wrote:
It's a homage, right?

We call it a "troupe."
SHD

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 2:11 am Reply with quote
#861208 wrote:
There' is this one anime that got pretty horribly ripped off by a really popular thing that came out in between its first and second seasons, but after the second season, the original is getting really popular, and I can't wait to see if people start to notice. The characters are even played by the same voice actor.

Now I'm curious, what shows do you refer to?
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 3:24 am Reply with quote
I seen the comparisons a couple of times and there is just too much similarity to call it a mere coincidence. But I can't call it plagiarized either.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, it's not uncommon for films to lift ideas, scenes, and even locations from other films. For instance, Quintan Tarantino took ideas from older movies and TV shows and added it to his famous movies. The famous Pulp Fiction dance actually was taken from a 1963 movie 8 1/2. The bloody eye scene in Kill Bill Vol 1 was taken from the City of the Living Dead. The Gone with the Wind title swipe was used in Django. Being shot in the flower in Django was taken from a 1968 movie A Professional Gun. Yet, it's these famous movies aren't regarded as Plagiarized, but inspired.

So is Your Name scene plagiarized? I say no. But if I was the director, I would admit it was inspired by, so it ends the controversy.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Homage vs plagiarism is in the eye of the beholder. I only take issue if the director is denying it. Then it's not giving credit, and the proper assigning of credit is a major part in calling something plagiarism rather than homage or inspiration.
MJKS

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 12:10 pm Reply with quote
There are definitely more than coincidental similarities between Your Name's sequence and the two identified in the video. Neither was lifted wholesale, but it definitely looks like Shinkai took a lot from both.

I think that's fine. Because what the comparison video neglects to emphasize (intentionally, I think, but I'll get to that in a bit) is the fact that the Your Name sequence draws from two discrete sources. This is important because that scene in Your Name is used to portray a single harrowing vignette of Mitsuha's desperation. Her headlong charge down the mountainside acts as the emotional windup for the punch that is the fall itself. One doesn't work without the other.

That immediately gives the lie to the claim that Shinkai "ripped off" the movies in question. Rather, he synthesized these two scenes into something novel which works wonderfully in his own creation. It shouldn't need to be said, but that process is normal throughout art and academia. It certainly isn't plagiarism. If nothing else, the fact that Uda himself (whose work of the two I think has a much stronger relationship with the final product in Your Name) came right away with a statement disagreeing with the video's claim proves that.

Now, if the Your Name sequence appeared to mirror a single source from start to finish, it would be a different matter entirely. But that's not the case. On the contrary, Shinkai's apparent intent to conjoin two sequences from two different works to create such a dramatic inflection point is commendable. Of course, I'm sure he wishes he had completely thought it up on his own!

As for the video itself. The fact that it was uploaded on the 25th of July, which, oh, just happened to be the day before Your Name's Japanese BD release, suggests a couple things. First, that the YouTuber was trying to juice their subscriber numbers, and second, that they were deliberately trying to sabotage the movie's sales. I don't think this person was honestly engaged in discussing a potentially serious problem with how the movie was created. Because as of now, it doesn't look like there is one.
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Plagiarism is an extreme stretch. I'd think it's more of a homage, but the scenes are so damn common that I'd even balk at calling it that.

Then again, why the decree of plagiarism? I don't remember people moaning about plagiarism for that fight sequence in Cowboy Bebop and Naruto or the baseball anime that blew up on Facebook last year that copied a real baseball play. Those were just a bit more blatant!
FireChick
Subscriber

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2017 7:22 pm Reply with quote
Jeez. People are calling everything plagiarism now. Originality pretty much doesn't exist anymore in media. Every single plotline or interpretations and renditions of scenes has been done to death. I myself have been accused of plagiarism by annoying people who care about social justice for really stupid things regarding fan fics, even stuff like villains having similar motives or personalities. It's just stupid.
ChrissyC

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:06 am Reply with quote
The YouTuber seems to have a vendetta for Your Name which isn't criticism (their avatar of a black-bar-eyed Mitsuha) but hate.

On the topic. The animations are extremely similar. Makoto Shinkai has worked with and knows anime films; directors & such (See. Ani Kuri 15). Makoto Shinkai is within the industry and prolific, he's going to know and associate with such things.

I believe those scenes are modeled directly off those films in questions. A lot of artist use reference even some of the best and that's not wrong (Shakesphere & The Beatles). However, it lacked the originality to be a reference but more close to a copy, which happens.

People make mistakes and they have to own up it, unfortunately many don't. If we are wrong then I want to hear it out of those it directly affects.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2