• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Rage of Bahamut: Virgin Soul (TV).

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 1:28 am Reply with quote
Episode 16

Quite a bit happened this episode. I think my favourite part was the sort of buddy comedy with Nina, Bacchus and Hamsa , especially when they were trying to be quite while signalling each other what to do. Kind of because that is a trope you see fairly often in Western movies, or a funny Tomska sketch, I just found the whole thing funny. Mugaro is not a total lost cause, but he needs some friends on his side.

We also had the Kaisar and Azazel escape, courtesy of Favaro no doubt with Rika. And it all finished with the four of them (+ Rocky) joining together as a group, which felt like a long waited bit. Now just for both of these groups to meet up together, they can probably work something out.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 11:07 am Reply with quote
s2 ep16
After Mugaro's costume switch, amusingly I found that Nina and Mugaro wore each other's clothes better, lol.
This was also likely an intentional signaling point that Mugaro is definitely no longer aligned with the forces of Heaven, in particular Gabriel.

Mugaro's action is unsurprising, though the reasons for running out of heaven are not completely clear even if we have to "take the holy childs word for it", Mugaro believes ONLY he can bring peace to the world yet it is unclear of what methods he was planning to use.

The escape from the coliseum was a grand proper return of Season 1's main players as before they were forced to either skulking in the shadows, were under the obligation of the kingdom, or were thrown in prison already.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:40 am Reply with quote
Episode 17

Strangest magic carpet ride like scene, by which it guy riding the girl who was in dragon form. Who else felt the urge to say "I can show you the world"? Assumable things are not going to go all romantic like, whether it is Chris using her, or the Onyx Knights going to step in. I think something of note may be that even if he has a nice side to him, he should be judged also by all the horrible things he is doing, despite any feelings of guilt he might have or making balls for slums he is doing.

Rita in sexy demon disguise, and then Nina in sexy demon disguise, a bit of fanservice there. I think Favaro might have also gave some, which now that I think about it, I wonder what happened with Favaro there, did he actually follow Nina?
yuna49

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:07 am Reply with quote
DuskyPredator wrote:
I wonder what happened with Favaro there, did he actually follow Nina?

I believe so, and I hope he averted his eyes if things progressed past the mere kissing stage. Knowing Favaro, he'd probably watch the whole event.

So now everyone who matters knows that "Chris" and Nina are a thing.
FenixFiesta

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:59 am Reply with quote
Ep 17
If the audience can honestly take Chris words to Nina on face value, then he is a hugely conflicted villain performing deeds that even he thinks are horrendous all in the name of the "greater good of humanity", which if true makes character wise makes him more noble than the dogmatic Gabriel who is more single minded in trying to "put Heaven back on top".

Sofiel has proven through action that she can at least see value in at least a friend if not value within humanity by saving a reckless Jean.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 02, 2017 3:01 am Reply with quote
Episode 20

Alessand cannot be redeemed after this, spoiler[stabbing little Mugaro to the point it indeed looks like he has died], is something I don't think can be forgiven.

And I was going to talk up how much I liked the Mugaro/El parts of this episode. Like even with Nina, that he indeed looks like enjoys sleeping with her, not in a dirty way, just that they are good friends.

And although I don't think everyone will think it, but I thought that this episode did a pretty good job in showing the pain that Nina is feeling in terms of losing her love. Not just being turned down/dumped, but put to death by. And done well in how you also see what Favaro's point of view is on it.

In the previous episode I was anticipating everyone having a problem with how Nina screwed up the plans, like how it would be unfair to Favaro. But the deal was that Favaro went into it I think thinking it was possible to likely going that way. He mentioned that Nina would likely not be able to transform. And I think that it is that he super understands. The thing is that from the beginning Favaro has been doing things for similar selfish reasoning, he too faced the decision to kill a girl he cared about because it would save people and he could not do it. I think at the least he thought that it should be a case of Nina get some closure, something so she can feel like she can move forward.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2017 3:04 am Reply with quote
Episode 21

Alessand did not like his offered prize, and has started to become haunted by what he has done. And one of the things he has done has create a martyr that put some very dangerous people into action, heaven and hell is about to turn its combined might against his king. I would like to enjoy that sort of development, but the loss of Mugaro hangs over the entire thing as just sad. Nina at first deals with the grief by cleaning, one would say something like she can feel in control, but eventually has a big cry. But even Nina seems to have kind of made a big choice, if these bad things will continue to happen, then she will also turn on the king personally.

Kind of made the romantic happy ED really hard to deal with as mood whiplash. You cannot have that and the full on scene of Rita desperately trying to save Mugaro in the same episode, even if that was at the start of the episode. It could be said that it is misdirected hatred towards Charioce for the death of Mugaro, that it is Alessand's fault alone, but Charioce set this situation up, he is going to have to face it. Hopefully this won't end up a situation where Charioce can just destroy all who oppose him since he knows where they are all going.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:48 am Reply with quote
Episode 22 (Which way is the wind blowing?)

I hope the king be proud, few things can actually unite humans, demons, and the gods against one enemy, and like Bahamut he managed it. Right in time to reveal that his big plan was that he was gaining power to kill Bahamut. As nice as that sounds, Charioce/Chris has done a lot of dick moves to get here, and I would not even put it past him that he may try and use Bahamut to destroy his opponents first. If he had a plan to kill Bahamut that could work, I am sure all parties would have been up for it, yet as it stands I have strong doubts that he will actually be able to kill the titular villain, and is more likely he is underestimating the creature that shakes heaven and hell.

Kaisar tried to explain that the king was not behind her sons death to Jeanne, but I am more on her side that it is kind of irrelevant. Charioce created and kept the situation that got things to this point, regardless of giving an order he does bare responsibility. I wonder how Alessand will fare as the leader of his knights against an army of his own making.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2017 2:15 am Reply with quote
Episode 23

Certainly feels like the fulfilling of a promise that Genesis started by showing the might of the Gods, Demons and humans. I think that if there was a theme of Virgin Soul, it would be to show that not just what Gensis had, but that humans do not need demons to do something pretty terrible, that humans can be pretty self destructive all by itself. Seeing Azazel and Jeanne together was especially cool, but somehow Lucifer looks awesome despite not appearing to do much. (that sounds so blasphemous)

But damn, there had to be a better way than Kaisar flinging himself to protect the king. Surely it will become something that the king will be required for things to end well, but Kaisar was too much of a good person to sacrifice himself for that. Rita looked especially hurt. I don't suppose she can also have him be a zombie like her?

Also, Alessand. Could imagine so many ways to get revenge on what he caused, but perhaps fitting that as he killed a child, he was himself killed by a child, and with no honour despite that was what he was searching for.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2017 12:10 am Reply with quote
Episode 24 (finale)

Well Nina did have to sacrifice to try and keep her fairy tale ending, losing her voice while Charioce lost his eyesight, begging question of whether the relationship is worth it, and I think Nina seems pretty much okay with it. Which is not her having it too easy. But Charioce has a lot to make up for, a lot of the shit he pulled, and the least it seems some things were starting to get a bit better, with demons no longer slaves. But also at the same time, Bahamut is not truly gone yet, sure that big dragon got his head blown off, but if anything he is beyond just being a dragon, and with his body disappearing from some power that brings up question of if it was even worth it. Demons were pretty great in the episode though, I thought it pretty awesome when it looked like the people stuck in the city were about to be blown up, until Lucifer and all of his demons put up a shield, and before that it looked like it could be overpowered the gods joined in. We got a bit of Nina, who chances are could still exist with Bahamut still being alive, and I had to rewatch the bit at the end a couple of times where Favaro thought he heard Kaisar calling to him, and then we saw that apparently Rita did manage to get her undead boy.

I guess I enjoyed this season, I have a couple weird parts of feelings on it. Like how I sort of thought the first half was better despite the feeling of things got better when Favaro got into the season, which was only in the later half. I would maybe say the romance really had a problem with one of the members being a tyrant that his personality could not excuse, that Nina fought for excuses. But I don't put myself in the group that said she was annoying because of her boy blushing quirk and the like, and that I thought she was a really good character. Maybe just a bit better in the first half. I find myself kind of think that I could actually make an excuse if things change that what was done was worth it, like a third season where these events were shown to matter like demons, humans and gods getting along. There were some really strong parts of Virgin Soul though, especially in terms of Mugaro, which made it hurt so much when he died. But I probably should not feel like it removes those good parts. The king does not deserve the title of hero, in the face of the unfortunate martyr.

I will choose to be happy with it, like the cute first ED song, or adorable dancing and like of the second. As much as it felt a little weighed down, I feel like the good outweigh the bad. I give a rating of Very good (8/10), a don't miss it. It was a good journey, regardless of some parts that were hard, and I would not give up the good. Which Way Is the Wind Blowing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Series Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3