• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: Vatican Miracle Examiner

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:40 am Reply with quote
Personally I really like the show. But I'm a horror buff and there have never been enough legitimate horror anime to satisfy me. I definitely agree the main characters need more development. However I think it's too early to write off the mysteries as a random kitchen sink approach. Something I really appreciate about the show is how quickly they debunk many of the oddities, which then end up playing into the larger mystery.

I'm also happy to see this as a serialized show. From previews it seemed like it was going to be more episodic case-of-the-week. For it to be long-form storytelling was a pleasant surprise.
DuskyPredator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 5:49 am Reply with quote
I am kind of liking it too, and I think from a place of someone who is quite into a lot of horror. I think that the recent episode actually managed to do a pretty effective jumpscare, which feels like a rarity in anime, outside of something like Yami Shibai which only has a couple of minutes to make a scare.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
I'd say that the student seances and mummified priests were glossed over as they had bigger fish to fry. They'll probably report it later, along with Michael being spoiler[a Nazi and the whole Janus thing].

I personally liked the exorcism scene. spoiler[It seemed off at first especially when the demon revealed his name, but it was neatly explained with drugs]

While the main characters aren't well developed and are only developed enough to work, I find that the mystery is complex enough to be interesting and keep the audience guessing but not enough that it seems too convoluted. It's not the worst compromise.
Drunk

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2017 10:22 am Reply with quote
It feels like they're trying to cram too much into a single episode. Nevertheless I really enjoy this anime. Its dull colours and liturgical music really help to create a dark, believable atmosphere.
chaccide

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2017 1:26 pm Reply with quote
James, I'm so sorry about the shows you are having to review this season...

I was going to drop this one because it's pretty mediocre on most every front. But you know, it's a hoot. Last week I thought, "They are only lacking Nazi's," especially given that they were in "South of America", et voila! I can't wait to see what they come up with next.
kgw

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 11:52 am Reply with quote
Why the road is closed in English, but the police is named in Spanish?

If they are throwing everything at this first case/arc, what they'll got for the second?

spoiler[So a Nazi who took an English Name came with a Zeppelin from Germany (because people in the 40's apparently never knew what a Zeppelin was, but they knew UFOs) to Mexico -(Southern America), started an orphanage to build his master race with the funds of a drug-selling or child abuse ring. Failed once, then tried again decades later, while getting involved with the Devil or Janus.]

Boy, and I thought the Occultic; nine, Seven Fortune God's plot was stupid.
meiam

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:19 am Reply with quote
... [start slow clap]
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 9:53 am Reply with quote
I have to agree wholeheartedly. This episode was absurd, but it was just so much fun at the same time.

I can't imagine anything that could top this mystery or spoiler[HOLY SULFURIC ACID]. Only thing that would have made it better if the justification for leaving the baby alone was if the Catholic Church didn't allow abortion.
Zhou-BR

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 10:44 am Reply with quote
Wow, this was trashy beyond belief. Assuming these first four episodes only covered the first light novel, it's amazing that this series got a second volume after such a hilariously bad conclusion to the first case.
Eivion

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 11:48 am Reply with quote
Is it wrong that the sheer ridiculousness of the latest episode actually has me wanting to keep watching?
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:06 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:
Is it wrong that the sheer ridiculousness of the latest episode actually has me wanting to keep watching?

All that truly matters is if you're enjoying yourself.
Blood-
Bargain Hunter

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 12:20 pm Reply with quote
Eivion wrote:

Welcome to the club! It's what's keeping me going, too.
Flare-kun

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:48 pm Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Eivion wrote:

Welcome to the club! It's what's keeping me going, too.

I'm with you guys. Call me crazy, but I'm enjoying the show's brand of campy insanity. I couldn't decide whether the twists were just ridiculous or ridiculously entertaining, but either way I'll keep tuning in.
zrnzle500

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I wasn't interested in watching the show after the first episode, but I did want to see where it went to see if it gets more interesting. From the sounds of it, it seems to have, by going entertainingly bad, and I think I might just watch it because of that. I mean I thought it would become so in a more positive way, but I'll take entertaining trainwreck too.
Kiddo626

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2017 2:04 pm Reply with quote
chaccide wrote:
James, I'm so sorry about the shows you are having to review this season...

On the one hand, he's reviewing this show, but on the other, he's also reviewing Made in Abyss, so hopefully that'll more than make up for it.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 1 of 6