• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
"Surprisingly" good anime?

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Parse Error

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2017 9:56 am Reply with quote
Blood- wrote:
Anybody else see this title or am I alone in my degradation?

Don't worry, I've watched it too. I even have the sequel sitting around somewhere but still have never gotten around to watching it. It also fits the topic for me as well because of being better than I expected. All I was hoping for was some cheesecake, but the story was actually pretty decent, and better still was it being one of those rare ecchi shows where the MC gets some real action.
Spawn29

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2017 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I personally like Kill la Kill better than I thought I would have. Seeing that I can't stand ecchi anime from this modern era. However the action and characters are very well done in my opinion.
omegafinal

PostPosted: Sun Jul 30, 2017 1:46 pm Reply with quote
Thinking through the series I originally thought, then finally thought; the thing I noticed is that the "surprisingly" good anime I've seen are confident in themselves.

The Symphogear series. I didn't get into until around the time the third season/GX was airing. Just thought it will not be my style. But decided to check it out when the first two seasons showed up on my Crunchyroll queue. Was surprised by how ludicrous they took the concept of singing idol magical girl warriors and ran with it. Also the special moves naming was actually what got to me, instead of the usual announcing and shouting, it's a beautiful piece of art. I got Chris Yukine's "Giga Zeppelin" as my wallpaper.

Keijo!!!!!! is a more recent surprise. Originally thought it would be another all fanservice no substance show, but it had both and some more. It's a competent shounen fighting style show, and the sportsmanship displayed felt refreshing to me compared to some others I've seen (then again, I don't really watching many competitive fighting shows.). Was invested in the characters to see them rise to the top, especially the tactician Aoba. I think I nearly cried at the end of one of her battles (if you know which one, you know.).
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2