• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: GKIDS Licenses Mary and the Witch's Flower Film

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TravellinMatt77

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:30 pm Reply with quote
I figured that this was where the film would end up. Hopefully, the transfer and subtitle script quality will match that of GKIDS' previous acquisitions, and that the dub is better than previous efforts. All around, great news!
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 12:48 pm Reply with quote
What the hell? I thought it was Funimation? So they are going to dub with non-union Anime voice actors then?
FLCLGainax

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:11 pm Reply with quote
I'd prefer a UK dub with name actors, like what Arrietty had. Name actors who are also known in the US, like Saoirse Ronan and Tom Holland.
FlowerAiko

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 1:51 pm Reply with quote
michaeltanzer wrote:
What the hell? I thought it was Funimation? So they are going to dub with non-union Anime voice actors then?

It was said a little bit ago that they were planning on having "big name actors" like Disney used to do for Ghibli, so probably not.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-13/mary-and-the-witch-flower-film-to-open-in-155-countries-territories/.118751
michaeltanzer

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:21 pm Reply with quote
FlowerAiko wrote:
michaeltanzer wrote:

It was said a little bit ago that they were planning on having "big name actors" like Disney used to do for Ghibli, so probably not.

animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-07-13/mary-and-the-witch-flower-film-to-open-in-155-countries-territories/.118751

It might happen ya. It will happen for sure. Trust me.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 2:59 pm Reply with quote
At the Kiki's Delivery Service showing back on July 23, there was a Mary and the Witch's Flower trailer that also said this Winter by Gkids. It's interesting it took them this long to make it official. Shocked
Aquasakura

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 4:27 pm Reply with quote
I'm happy to hear this news as I was waiting for a conformation of when this movie would be premiering over here in the U.S. Now I need to know an exact date in which the film would be in theaters. Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Manga
firedragon54738

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 5:06 pm Reply with quote
Kind of know that they will get this
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 7:46 pm Reply with quote
The Disney-Ghibli dubs have all been pretty much fabulous, and I'm hopeful that this one will continue to follow in the footsteps of them, even though it may technically not be a Ghibli film. But GKids has the right approach.
Sailor Sedna

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 9:13 pm Reply with quote
@LegitPancake

True, there was one there. I was at the July 23 screening myself. I wonder if this was inspired Kiki's Delivery Service or if it was the other way around?

Either way it looks cool and I might give it a watch.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:13 am Reply with quote
TravellinMatt77 wrote:
I figured that this was where the film would end up. Hopefully, the transfer and subtitle script quality will match that of GKIDS' previous acquisitions, and that the dub is better than previous efforts. All around, great news!

In general, I've felt GKids dubs were fine...
The big disappointment I had was Only Yesterday but I don't know if that was a case of the film's slow pacing, unremarkable story (seen it a million times already!), or the overly flat dub/voice direction and choice of casting.

I wouldn't use that actress again, that's for sure!

There's a danger in using celebrities instead of professional voice actors. With a celebrity, you're not guaranteed to get a good performance let alone a person who understands how to VOICE act as opposed to act in front of a camera. There's a different mentality at work there.

The male lead was fine in Only Yesterday even if I thought the choice of accents was a bit -- off. Ridley clearly had problems with an American accent, and she was really, really flat and wooden. I don't know how anybody can argue otherwise.
If the voice director's intention was to be flat, mission accomplished! I know I'm not crazy about robotic-sounding performances. There's enough wooden performances in live-action!

Anime dubbing is weird and incongruous with the way they choose to portray local dialect/accents in English productions. I never liked when they used American Southern accents to represent people from other Japanese towns or islands outside of the Tokyo area. That's definitely a pet peeve of mine where Viz's localized English dub of Ranma is concerned but I understand their dilemma -- how DO you convey a different Japanese dialect in English without sounding stereotypical (although nobody seemed to mind Shampoo's stereotypical Chinese dialect)? They STILL ended up with a stereotypical accent anyway!
TurnerJ

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:52 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I had no major issue with the dub of Only Yesterday. I thought Daisy Ridley did a fine job in that movie. I felt she brought a lot of warmth to the character, making her likable, and she did a great job disguising her accent. I do admit it was odd to have Dev Patel use his natural British accent, but I was too captivated by his character to care. To me, the real star of the show was Alison Fernandez; she nailed little Taeko, and then some.
GeorgeC

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
TurnerJ wrote:
Funny, I had no major issue with the dub of Only Yesterday. I thought Daisy Ridley did a fine job in that movie. I felt she brought a lot of warmth to the character, making her likable, and she did a great job disguising her accent. I do admit it was odd to have Dev Patel use his natural British accent, but I was too captivated by his character to care. To me, the real star of the show was Alison Fernandez; she nailed little Taeko, and then some.

You saw a different film than I did then!

She was definitely the weakest link in that dub for me and not one of the strengths of the Star Wars Episode 7 for me, either!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1