• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Japanese Animation DVD Ranking, November 7–13

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Fri Nov 16, 2007 8:32 pm Reply with quote
Still nice to know that even after 20 years, the Dragon Ball franchise can still hold in the top sales spots.
Angel_White_Wings

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 12:14 am Reply with quote
This really surprises me.

I was expecting some other title. I'm amazed the DBZ still appeals to audiences when it just blabbers on and on and on, like politicians. Just not as boring.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:01 am Reply with quote
If you had paid attention to the article you'd notice it was DB, not DBZ. I've never watched but a few episodes of the original dragonball myself but from what I understand, it's more like slayers than Naruto. Action, comedy(more than a filler ep here and there) and special powers. Not 50 episode tournaments of big men yelling.

That said, I did enjoy DBZ in it's US prime.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:06 am Reply with quote
I said DB franchise as in the whole series.
Vortextk

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 1:08 am Reply with quote
I know you said dragonball, which is why I was responding to Angel_White_Wings, =/
sailorspazz

PostPosted: Sat Nov 17, 2007 3:21 am Reply with quote
Since it's the first time these episodes have been available on DVD in Japan (outside of the super expensive limited edition Dragon Boxes), I don't think it's really surprising that the Dragonball DVDs consistently rank near the top when they're released. The series is classic.
Ktimene's Lover

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 12:01 am Reply with quote
In my opinion, Dragon Ball Z is the best anime series there is and ever will be.
nobinobita

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:01 am Reply with quote
Angel_White_Wings wrote:
This really surprises me.

I was expecting some other title. I'm amazed the DBZ still appeals to audiences when it just blabbers on and on and on, like politicians. Just not as boring.

Dragon Ball is pretty much a classic everywhere in the world. I grew up in Asia (Thailand and Taiwan to be exact) where Dragon Ball and DBZ were HUGE hits. They were a big part of my childhood and continue to be a cherished classic to most people (men and women) of my generation. In Asia Dragonball was not simply a gateway into Anime, it was just a manga and tv show that everyone loved, with awesome action and characters that grew up with you. I lived in France for a litlte while, and it seems like people there and in the rest of Europe also enjoy Dragonball in a similar way. It's an awesome series from your childhood.

I think Americans tend to have a different attitude because Dragonball arrived here much later, and became an introduction to the world of manga and anime at large. As such, it's often seen as a gateway, and something that people are supposed to "get over".

I can't tell you how many times someone's told me "i USED TO like Dragonball, but now i like "insert title" better, because it's more sophisticated.

This always struck me as odd. Why do American Anime fans need to tear down one series to build up another? Do you ever hear anyone say "I used to like Tiny Tune Adventures, but now i like more mature series like Family Guy, I'm SO over Tiny Tunes!"

Anyway, I believe that people should just accept whatever they enjoy, regardless of how they believe it makes them look. Your hobbies should be reflective of what you really like, not a competition to be the coolest or most 1337.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1