• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Knight's & Magic Manga, Light Novels Have 1.2 Million Copies in Print

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TasteyCookie

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 4:41 pm Reply with quote
Oh wow I didn't think the novels were that popular o_O Good for them! Currently enjoying the anime but didn't strike me as over a million seller.
Morry

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:21 pm Reply with quote
Considering how rushed that first episode felt, I wouldn't be surprised if everyone bought the light novel just to let the story breath.
LegitPancake

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Crunchyroll announced plans to release the manga in English, but it has not yet launched

Actually the first 4 chapters are available right now on CrunchyRoll Manga.
encrypted12345

PostPosted: Mon Aug 07, 2017 6:50 pm Reply with quote
Mecha, mecha, mecha!

In any case, as far as adaptations go, the anime is heavily rushed but is still an okay adaptation because other than the 1st episode, the way they truncate details and rearrange events still make each episode feel like they have a natural if fast pacing. Both the LN and the accurate manga have slow, almost SOL pacing, so maybe that's way the anime's pacing ends up being still being okay even if it is set on turbo speed. The action scenes are also well choreographed, and both them and the CG models clearly have a lot of effort put into them. As a result, its strongest point are the mecha fight scenes.

The manga adaptation is a better adaptation overall. The novel has more detail of the nitty gritty, but the manga reduces a tiny bit of the detail to make the story a bit flow better and shows some of the detail the LN says in words using pictures instead. It also has better designs than the anime and can show things in better detail because of being fully 2D and not having to worry about the costs of 3D modeling. One thing that the manga differs a lot from the anime is in its portrayal of Eru. The manga version of Eru has more blatantly insane obsession than the anime, where it's more subdued. The manga version of Eru starting up Guair (Chapter 11) had a lot more insane laughter and instead of blushing, Eru's pleasure seemed more ... sensual. The LN version is somewhere in the middle. Oh, and if it's a deal breaker, it has somewhat more fanservice than the anime... most of it being of Eru himself. The manga is way behind, but if you don't like reading LN-style prose, I can still wholly recommend the manga.

As for the LN adaptation (which technically is an adaptation because the original is a web novel), its strongest points are the R&D development scenes where it goes into the nitty gritty stuff mecha fans care about. The battle scenes aren't as good as those scenes in my opinion, but maybe it's just hard to do action scenes in prose. The LN and its anime adaptation are a bit weird because of their opposing strengths and weaknesses though. The LN has slow pacing, strong R&D scenes, and weak battles, while the anime has fast pacing, weakened R&D scenes because of the pacing, but strengthened battle scenes due to being in motion.
Wrangler

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I so far like manga translation of LN. Anime one is fun but it's bit too rush at times.
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:55 pm Reply with quote
I like this series, but I find it inconsistent. Some episodes are really good while others I think are awful. But I believe there are more positive things than negative ones...I wish the main character had more flaws though, he kills the tension of most scenes.
KH91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 1:42 pm Reply with quote
Congrats. Hope it can reach 2 million.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1