• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Interview: Mari Iijima [2017-08-08]

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Stampeed Valkyrie

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:06 pm Reply with quote
Unfortunately I missed her concert this year.. but I was able to get her autograph and pick up one of her CDs at her autograph panels @AX this year.
jroa

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 3:11 pm Reply with quote
Pretty interesting interview. I'll admit that I haven't followed Mari Iijima's musical career too closely, nor that of any current idol for that matter, but it seems she's doing fine these days. I hope those who had the chance to meet her got a lot of enjoyment out of that concert.

To address the single ugliest part of all things Macross-related...it seems that Harmony Gold always wants to get some unspecified amounts of money in order to allow other companies to release any new or old media under the "Macross" name. The DYRL situation is a bit different and they have more rights over the TV series than the movie, last time I checked, but I assume ADV had to make a licensing deal with them to get that early 2000s release out into the market and presumably they could attempt to make another one today, at least if someone ever felt like giving them the cash. Because, sadly, Harmony Gold is still far too alive in the legal sense even if they're not "producing" anything themselves. Sony did reach a deal with them to make a Robotech movie though and that's apparently still happening. It might sound cruel, but I am not looking forward to that project at all.
SuiSeiKen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 5:58 pm Reply with quote
I don't know how the ADV American release was done back in 2006, but HG told French editors that they don't want any Macross shows to be released in west, when those editors tried to release Zero and Frontier. And it also include the original SDF Macross. HG argument was that Robotech is the western version of Macross.

Obviously, what they ideally want to do is to make more Robotech with Macross sequels. Fortunately, they can't.
Shar Aznabull

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2017 6:01 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
presumably they could attempt to make another one today, at least if someone ever felt like giving them the cash.

There was an attempt by Lionsgate to release a Robotech/Macross combo pack, but it never went past the first half of the show. From what I remember they tried cramming 9 episodes of each onto one DVD so I can't imagine it was a particularly good release anyways.
luisedgarf

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 2:59 am Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:
I don't know how the ADV American release was done back in 2006, but HG told French editors that they don't want any Macross shows to be released in west, when those editors tried to release Zero and Frontier. And it also include the original SDF Macross. HG argument was that Robotech is the western version of Macross.

Oddly, there's two dubbed versions of the DYRL movie in Latin America, despite this. Maybe HG cannot do anything in that region or the Latin American distributors exploited an legal loophole.
Beltane70

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 7:28 am Reply with quote
SuiSeiKen wrote:

Obviously, what they ideally want to do is to make more Robotech with Macross sequels. Fortunately, they can't.

The ADV release was done through a licensing agreement with Harmony Gold. If you look at all the ADV discs, you'll see Harmony Gold's logo on them.
SWAnimefan

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:11 am Reply with quote
Glad Mari is doing well. A generous and gracious legend. Too bad about her bunny though. Crying or Very sad

Really liked how the interview got her viewpoint on the Macross / Harmony Gold situation and she suggested changing the name! Laughing If only it was that easy! Though I'm surprised Mari wasn't asked about the upcoming Live-Action Robotech movie, if she was asked if she wanted to make a cameo appearance. Because I sure would give her that opportunity. Could easily imagine her cameo as Minmay's aunt.
L'Imperatore

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:23 am Reply with quote
Quote:
I actually made the t-shirts to say “this is the [expletive] greatest album” or something like that. I have that t-shirt somewhere. I even cursed, “this is the [expletive] greatest thing ever!”

By the way, was this interview done in English or......? Shocked
Greg Aubry

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 8:36 am Reply with quote
Really glad she mentioned the "muh-CROSS" thing in ADV's dub. It's even more galling that Matt Greenfield got it wrong with an original Japanese voice-actress from the series telling him it was wrong during dub production.
Sakurafire_

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:48 am Reply with quote
L'Imperatore wrote:
Quote:
I actually made the t-shirts to say “this is the [expletive] greatest album” or something like that. I have that t-shirt somewhere. I even cursed, “this is the [expletive] greatest thing ever!”

She is fluent in English (and lives in LA, for what it's worth).
JacobC
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 11:09 am Reply with quote
Sakurafire_ wrote:
L'Imperatore wrote:
Quote:

She is fluent in English (and lives in LA, for what it's worth).

Yup! She was extremely easy to talk to, not only because she was fluent, but also very genuine and candid.
Codeanime93

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:07 pm Reply with quote
Still really sad what happened to the lead Japanese voice actor to this anime. Really tragic.
jr240483

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 9:53 pm Reply with quote
jroa wrote:
Pretty interesting interview. I'll admit that I haven't followed Mari Iijima's musical career too closely, nor that of any current idol for that matter, but it seems she's doing fine these days. I hope those who had the chance to meet her got a lot of enjoyment out of that concert.

To address the single ugliest part of all things Macross-related...it seems that Harmony Gold always wants to get some unspecified amounts of money in order to allow other companies to release any new or old media under the "Macross" name. The DYRL situation is a bit different and they have more rights over the TV series than the movie, last time I checked, but I assume ADV had to make a licensing deal with them to get that early 2000s release out into the market and presumably they could attempt to make another one today, at least if someone ever felt like giving them the cash. Because, sadly, Harmony Gold is still far too alive in the legal sense even if they're not "producing" anything themselves. Sony did reach a deal with them to make a Robotech movie though and that's apparently still happening. It might sound cruel, but I am not looking forward to that project at all.

i would not be surprised at all if that series get trashed even worse than ScarJo's ghost in the shell adaptation.

but seriously. those bastards are out of business and they still have a hold of the rights?? i mean what are the japaneese license holders of the franchise even doing??

i mean when NAS and TV Tokyo tried to get the yugioh franchise license back from 4kids while they were dubbing 5d's , they instead went bankrupt, had most of its remnants taken over by konami and renamed 4kmedia. but at least the japaneese license holder tried to get their property back. as for the holders of macross , they haven't done squat when it came to removing all of its rights from harmony gold. this there is definitely one of the most biggest tragedy in the history of the anime industry.

Quote:
I was thinking about that the other day while I was driving, because I reprised the role of Minmay in 2006, I did all the Macross TV series in English for ADV Films.

wait! she can actually speak english? WHEN?? i was under the assumption that no japaneese voice actors especially well known VAs dont know let alone want to learn the language cause its very difficult to do. at least that is what akamastu said in a panel when someone asked about the differences between the negima sub and dub versions? the same in an FMA panel when the series was making a comeback with the premimum OVAs and brotherhood .
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
lossthief
ANN Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:36 pm Reply with quote
^Mari Iijima has lived and worked in the US (Los Angeles specifically IIRC) since 1989.
SrkSano

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 3:47 pm Reply with quote
I got to meet Mari Iijima in New York several years ago at a club called the Knitting Factory. It was an after party for New York Comic Con. That night I got drunk out of my mind. She sang lots of songs about heartbreak. Really drunk while she was signing autographs I walked up to her and yelled (the DJ was blasting music loudly) all intoxicated "YOU'RE NOT THE ONLY ONE GUYS FEEL HEARTBREAK TOO SOMETIMES WE JUST FAKE IT!" She just laughed. I probably looked like and sounded like an idiot lol but she was nice to me at least. Good memory!
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2