• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Sakura Quest: How To Revive a Dying Town

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
invalidname
Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 12:43 pm Reply with quote
Neat factoid about the Nendoroid. I might pre-order one just because of that.
gpanthony

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 3:08 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Same here.
yuna49

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 6:58 pm Reply with quote
Boy, that Yoshino is cute.

The recent episode about distributing tablets to the elderly citizens of Manoyama also reflects an actual program. IBM, Apple and the Japan Post have teamed up to give elderly Japanese iPods with special software written by IBM. As the episode describes, this software will remind people to take medications, follow exercise and dietary regimens, and provide all the social features like video chat and cloud photo storage.

In the stories I've read about the program, there is money to train the professional staff, but I didn't see any funds set aside to train the elderly use the technology. I doubt many small towns have a nice team of modern young ladies willing to volunteer their time like the heroines of Sakura Quest. At the beginning of the episode the town residents all talked about how they had gotten this shiny new device and had no idea what to do with it.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2017 10:21 pm Reply with quote
invalidname wrote:

Yep. I don't have many Nendoroids. and didn't really plan to get more, but I can make an exception. It also helps that I really like the show since I'm also from a very small town that has to deal with constantly shrinking because there just isn't much here.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:12 am Reply with quote
So, far this is is my favorite simuldub. Yoshino is my 2nd favorite Alexis Tipton after Musubi.
8lacKy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 7:31 am Reply with quote
This topic is actually the reason why I dropped Sakura Quest by now, because It paid no respect to it whatsoever~ I was looking forward to this show because I am kinda fascinated by those people that took it upon themselves to save a whole village and how tough of a job it really is, so a show about it should have been pretty interesting... but what did it turn out to be? A character drama. That's it. The whole matter of saving the village is pretty much just a side story to give these characters something to do and give the show itself a chance to freely switch around arcs and deal with the cast's little dilemmas, while all of the events that actually happen in that regard are just outright dumb and unrealistic. A camera team, twice? A uma cult? Sure, stuff like that always happens over there. ^^ The show never took its time to actually show these characters actively approaching the people of the town to find out what it even has to offer - instead they just kept throwing out weird ideas that would never go anywhere. I'm surprised that I managed to watch 15 EPs of this tbh.
Scalfin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 8:05 am Reply with quote
Reminds me of how a lot of ageing shuls try to keep membership up. They haven't resorted to mascots yet, but there's a haredi community in Malden that'll buy you a house.
Kadmos1

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2017 10:09 am Reply with quote
Caitlin Glass does a weekly Wed. morning live stream on Periscope called Sakura Quest Fest at 9AM Arizona time. She has guests that appear in the latest simuldub episode and they answer e-mail questions or live stream questions from fans. Because the episodes are usu. 25 minutes, the unanswered questions are discussed off-screen for a longer YT version that will be put on her YT page. So far, 4 of the 5 lead actresses have appeared. We are still waiting on Leah to appear.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1